Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Traffic Corps Program on RTE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

draffodx wrote: »
    I think the more worrying fact is they let him drive off in a car that they said was not fit to be on the road

He may not be fit to drive on the road in your eyes or my eyes but the only thing the member could have taken the vehicle of him for was non payment of VRT. Customs have no interest in such vehicles and can tie members up for a day trying to get revenue to collect the vehicle.

Just because he received a speeding ticket doesnt mean we can take his car. Just because he has a provisional licence doesnt mean we can take his car. Because his water cap was gone doesnt mean we can take his car.

Lesiglation is provided for certain areas for taking custody of a vehicle like section 14 finance act or seizing it for no tax section 42 RTA. We must operate within this legislation. IMO I would have taken the vehicle if the duty wasnt paid but thats my opinion. Every member has his/her discression to act in certain offences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

So the gardai have no power to take unsafe vehicles off the road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Here we go again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

^^ Thanks

I was reminded by a friend, so am watching it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Gonna have to watch this on Player again...

• Advertisement

Great stuff, no insurance on a bike, and let go. :rolleyes: Off to a great start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

So the gardai have no power to take unsafe vehicles off the road?

As below. How can you say it was unsafe??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Great stuff, no insurance on a bike, and let go. :rolleyes: Off to a great start.

Yeah I'm really not getting the thought process..

SV wrote: »
    Yeah I'm really not getting the thought process..

Neither am I. He blatently said "If he hit a child, we'd have to pay for it" so on so on, yet he left him go?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭Damien360

As the guy has a foreign license and "on holidays", he has no hope of confirming his home address. Likely his name will be "drivers licence" in Czech. What is the guard supposed to do. Can arrest him, and he will be out again in 2 hours never to be seen again.

• Advertisement

Damien360 wrote: »
    As the guy has a foreign license and "on holidays", he has no hope of confirming his home address. Likely his name will be "drivers licence" in Czech. What is the guard supposed to do. Can arrest him, and he will be out again in 2 hours never to be seen again.

So?
    At least he wouldn't be on the road.

Sorry but that just seems like a cop out, it would be a "waste of time" etc and all that kind of attitude.

Well, he did say he was working and living here. I'm sure he won't go too far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Just watching it here. Nothing particularly dangerous about that driving in my view. I often creep up behind slow coaches that won't pull in and let me out.
    It was a good wide road too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭Damien360

mfitzy wrote: »
    Just watching it here. Nothing particularly dangerous about that driving in my view. I often creep up behind slow coaches that won't pull in and let me out.

It was dark and the cars on the other side had to go for a dark hard shoulder. God knows what could be there. Very aggressive driving especially at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Good job from the guards, throwing the book at the drunk driver and getting him off the roads for 15 years!

It was dark and the cars on the other side had to go for a dark hard shoulder. God knows what could be there. Very aggressive driving especially at night.

Agreed, he aggressively tail gates all the cars, overtakes into the other lane when traffic is oncoming and forces them to swerve into the hard shoulder, ridiculous driving and its unfortunately extremely common on Irish roads, I'm glad to see he got done for it.

Also a quick note to all the bashers of modified cars did you take note of the Lancer evolution driving completely responsibly while the driver who drove dangerously was in an Audi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Also a quick note to all the bashers of modified cars did you take note of the Lancer evolution driving completely responsibly while the driver who drove dangerously was in an Audi

Very good point. The driver of the Lancer wasnt tempted to follow the Audi at all. I think that Audi was a 1.9tdi RS4 too. :rolleyes:

I think RTE should do more of this kind of thing. It was the first time i've seen it, and thought it will open the eyes of alot of people in this country who think the Gardai do very little other than annoy motorists.

I couldnt believe the two headcase women who were walking up the M50 after crossing 6 lanes of traffic! :eek: That was complete madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I thought it was a good episode.

I liked the fact they bollocked those girls on the M50.

I was appalled that the foreign driver was allowed to drive off unable to provide proof of Insurance yet the guy from the North with proof of Insurance was arrested.

Madness :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Good job from the guards, throwing the book at the drunk driver and getting him off the roads for 15 years!

I'm pretty sure he's the type of person that wouldn't give a monkeys about receiving a ban and was probably back on the road within 15 days let alone 15 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Berty wrote: »
    I was appalled that the foreign driver was allowed to drive off unable to provide proof of Insurance yet the guy from the North with proof of Insurance was arrested.

Madness :rolleyes:

Folks there is no requirement for drivers to have their insurance certificates with them when driving and thats why we can demand they produce the cert within 10 days. So even an Irish motorists dont have proof they are insured.

The guy from the North wasnt arrested cos he had proof he was insured. He was arrested for Dangerous Driving

• Advertisement

keefg wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure he's the type of person that wouldn't give a monkeys about receiving a ban and was probably back on the road within 15 days let alone 15 years.

Exactly, sure he was already banned when they stopped him was he not? a few months in jail makes more sense (as a punishment, not economically)

TheNog wrote: »
    Folks there is no requirement for drivers to have their insurance certificates with them when driving and thats why we can demand they produce the cert within 10 days. So even an Irish motorists dont have proof they are insured.

The guy from the North wasnt arrested cos he had proof he was insured. He was arrested for Dangerous Driving

I dont think they asked the Foreign guy to produce. Open to correction.

And If I am correct, the Northern driver was arrested because he failed to provide evidence of where he lived. They were the words the Garda said to him when he arrested him.

I dont think they asked the Foreign guy to produce. Open to correction.

And If I am correct, the Northern driver was arrested because he failed to provide evidence of where he lived. They were the words the Garda said to him when he arrested him.

From watching the show the foreign lad wasnt asked to produce but again the show is edited and he would without a doubt would have been demanded to.

Exactly the Northern Ireland was arrested cos he couldnt prove he was resident in the Republic. Same thing happens to all non residents.

[QUOTE=TheNog;60585883

Exactly the Northern Ireland was arrested cos he couldnt prove he was resident in the Republic. Same thing happens to all non residents.[/QUOTE]

What exactly is expected of non Irish license holders to carry with them?

Household utility bills or similar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I have seen the ad for this only - in it a cop states they are travelling at 164kph in order to catch a bloke - what the hell has that to do with anything ?

proves to me its a sensationalist load of bollox imo - don't think I need to watch any more of this ****e thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

mfitzy wrote: »

That was blatent dangerous driving! Cars on the opposite side had to veer out of the way...he was bullying other road users aswell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I couldnt believe the two headcase women who were walking up the M50 after crossing 6 lanes of traffic! :eek: That was complete madness.

If it was me I would have drawn my baton to be honest;)...although they were'nt as bad as these two,

that is unbelievable behaviour, hope them two women got serious punishment (if they survived)

that is unbelievable behaviour, hope them two women got serious punishment (if they survived)

Yeah, they both survived.
    unbelievable really

• Advertisement

What exactly is expected of non Irish license holders to carry with them?

Household utility bills or similar?

any item that may prove their residence such as bills, car irish registered, they are on PULSE etc etc

Advertisement