Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Traffic Corps Program on RTE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

TheNog wrote: »
    any item that may prove their residence such as bills, car irish registered, they are on PULSE etc etc

What if you are driving a Republic registered Vehicle. Is the registered address of that vehicle(being yours of course) enough to satisfy your residency?

Put it this way. My company is based in Dundalk and we have a lot of guys who live in the North who come down in the morning and take away the service vehicles(LH registered). If they are stopped, what happens, are they arrested as well?

Im sure the Audi which was stopped was Republic registered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yes his age is irrelevant.

Thats incorrect. You are confusing the issue of seizing the car for non payment of VRT which I pretty much outlined step by step and the costs involved with driving a defective car.

Just because the VRT is not paid does not automatically make the driver a very real threat to other peoples lives

I never said it was common practice nor should be taken as such. I just pointed out the difficulties in recouping VRT. All I gave on this stop is my opinion on the facts that I saw on the programme. It is obvious to me that particular stop was edited to whatever 1-2 minutes for TV. In reality it would have taken at least double that so some vital information would have been missed.

While they cant take the car etc for any of the offences other than VRT , would it not have been a good use of the legislation to take the car for non payment of vrt considering the fact it was clearly in bits and because he was driving unaccompanied and without L plates? The VRT laws seem a good catch all for this exact type of situation where the car couldnt otherwise be taken off him.

Folks there is no requirement for drivers to have their insurance certificates with them when driving and thats why we can demand they produce the cert within 10 days. So even an Irish motorists dont have proof they are insured.

So theres no power to stop a driver from continueing on his way if he has no evidence at all of being insured?

TBH, I dont know why most foreign drivers bother with insurance at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Maruney

The only offence he has committed is VRT, driving unaccompanied and no L plates

Offence(S). Are there not 3 laws broken there?
    Depends on the mood the Guard is in that day, we dont expect consistency and professionalism in this country, thats why crime is so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Regarding the women walking across the M50 I was surprised the gardai did not tell them to hop over the barrier as surely that is a lot safer than standing on the hard shoulder waiting for a tow truck?

Its hardly news but this show highlights how easy it is to avoid penalty pounts - get yourself a foreign licence. It also shows if you get caught once can get away with it as long as not stopped again e.g. uninsured motorcyclist.

The motorcyclist should have been arrested as he was driving uninsured whether he was resident or on holidays.

The bits whether the guards talk directly to the camera are rubbish & ad dnothing to the show. They just repeat what already seen in the pictures & voice over.

Showing drunk driving every week will get boring. The show is supposed to entertain so should show more of the car chases & women walking across M50 type incidents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

draffodx wrote: »
    Also a quick note to all the bashers of modified cars did you take note of the Lancer evolution driving completely responsibly while the driver who drove dangerously was in an Audi

How do you know the evo wasn't still stock ? Not everyone who buys an evolution then goes ahead and modifies it, it was probably exactly as it came out of the showroom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭thethedev

The car wasnt in bits there was a bit of steam coming out of the rad becasue he lost the cap, big feckin' deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

McSpud wrote: »
    Its hardly news but this show highlights how easy it is to avoid penalty pounts - get yourself a foreign licence.

Hmm.....not sure that would work if you have a thick Donegal/Cork/Dublin (etc.) accent.

The bits whether the guards talk directly to the camera are rubbish & ad dnothing to the show. They just repeat what already seen in the pictures & voice over.

Yep, just a time filler.
    Showing drunk driving every week will get boring. The show is supposed to entertain so should show more of the car chases & women walking across M50 type incidents.

LOL :D......I wonder if that happens often enough to appear as a regular feature on the show?

The could have the weekly "M50 Frogger" slot :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,686 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

keefg wrote: »

LOL :D......I wonder if that happens often enough to appear as a regular feature on the show?

Happens often enough on the Motorways I travel on (M50 & M1). Livedrive on Dublin City FM coined the phrase "Organ Donors" for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

R.O.R wrote: »
    Happens often enough on the Motorways I travel on (M50 & M1). Livedrive on Dublin City FM coined the phrase "Organ Donors" for them.

Love it:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Jip wrote: »
    How do you know the evo wasn't still stock ? Not everyone who buys an evolution then goes ahead and modifies it, it was probably exactly as it came out of the showroom.

Even if it was stock the general public brand a lancer evolution as a modified car or boy racer, My Integra is completely stock but people have said oh you drive one of those modified cars, your a boy racer, total ignorance.

• Advertisement

While that sounds like a good slot but I suppose what I was suggesting was unusual incidents i.e. something different that the weekly drinking/speeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

Whereabouts on the M50 did that incident with girls crossing happen ? The Guard said the speed limit on that section of road was 120 k, but it looked to me to be one of the completed sections, and there was reference made to taking them back up to the toll plaza. So then, would the speed limit not have been 100 k ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I heard that too, did he definately mean take them back to the toll plaza itself btw? Why not just tow the car off at the next exit?

Omcd wrote: »
    Whereabouts on the M50 did that incident with girls crossing happen ? The Guard said the speed limit on that section of road was 120 k, but it looked to me to be one of the completed sections, and there was reference made to taking them back up to the toll plaza. So then, would the speed limit not have been 100 k ?

Did he say it was a 120 speed limit or did he say cars traveling at 120?

Omcd wrote: »

That is just a daft suggestion. Gardai not knowing speed limits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

He definitely said the speed limit on that stretch of road was 120 kilometres per hour. He was probably taking them back up to the toll plaza because maybe their car was thereabouts ?

The section of road looked to me like two lanes departing 3 lanes, with new fencing at the edge of the motorway, which suggests to me the Naas Road off ramp area southbound in between the times of the widening being completed and the toll plaza being demolished (could be wrong though), if so the limit then would have been 100 k, so I though it strange the Guard was saying the limit was 120 k.

I wonder if the producers of the show are using some creative editing, cutting in clips out of their original context ?

Or is there something we dont know regarding the posted speed limit and the actual legal one:D, because the TC should know the limit of the road they are patrolling ?

But before I get anyones hopes up, I think its most likely the Guard just uttered a verbal typo in front of the camera, born of his familiarity with what the limit used to be before it was dropped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 bigass

Just watched the two now, I have to say they done a good job.
    Considering thats not just what the job is.
    I knew before I watched it, it was no road wars so there's no need to match the two up..

Well done lads, keep up the good work.

So Tonights Episode:

To any Garda who will visit this post. I can only go on the information provided through editing.

I can very concerned about the woman with the 5 kids in the back of the car.

2 points and €80 fine. Was she not driving on a provisional without a fully licensed driver.

Im unhappy about this to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Did the cops let the women who had 5kids in the back seat with no seat belts on, drive away with the 5kids in the back. Thats shocking if they did to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭omerin

Berty wrote: »
    So Tonights Episode:

To any Garda who will visit this post. I can only go on the information provided through editing.

2 points and €80 fine. Was she not driving on a provisional without a fully licensed driver.

and correct me if i'm wrong but they let her drive away! madness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Totally agree, she should have had the car taken off her and a 6 seat taxi called for her at the very least.

So Tonights Episode:

In my mind it goes to show that these are not "real" garda.......just revenue collectors in a fancy uniform.

If, as we are constantly told, that all this work done by the Traffic Corps is for our safety then there is no way that woman should have been allowed to carry on her journey.

She should have been made to find alternative transport rather than continue with an overloaded car.

But no....you can almost hear the noise of a till ringing....kerching....another 80 euro in the bank, thanks you very much, on your way now madam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭fletch

Same too for the bus with the threads wires hanging out the side of the tyre walls. No way I'd have let that continue one...imagine if it had of got a blow out a mile down the road :eek:

In my mind it goes to show that these are not "real" garda.......just revenue collectors in a fancy uniform.

If that were so then where was the fine for driving on a privisional unacompanied.

fletch wrote: »
    Same too for the bus with the threads wires hanging out the side of the tyre walls. No way I'd have let that continue one...imagine if it had of got a blow out a mile down the road :eek:

Yeah, forgot about that one.

I just don't understand how the garda can tell the driver (and to camera) what a hazard that is blah blah cut a kids hand off, blow out etc, then send him on his way :confused:

Just crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Another laughable installament in my opinion. Can't wait for all the court cases to be thrown out as a result of all that footage, by law, has to be dated. So in court "Yeah, on such and such a date that case was let go"

I may be wrong on that but I presume that would hold up in court? :confused:

If that were so then where was the fine for driving on a privisional unacompanied.

No idea, but going by past episodes it seems common to just "do" someone for one offence even though they have committed more than one.

Do you think i am wrong then and it isn't about revenue and more about safety?

If so, why on earth was she allowed to continue her journey?
    Why was a coach full of kids allowed to continue with a defective tire?
    Why was a truck four or five & a half tonne overloaded allowed to continue?

If this traffic corps was really all about safety then none of these vehicles should have been allowed to continue their journey.

Maybe they are rare exceptions and it's just what the cameras are picking up, but I doubt it.

The Gardai on it appear to be VERY lenient, do people reckon this is just because the show is actually a pr stunt for the gardai to make them out to be a forgiving bunch to try to build a better relationship with motorists?

I recently changed all the tires on my car as there was only about 1mm thread left before it reached the legal limit, but according to the show i could continue on driving until the wire starts tearing out of them? I think not! My car would be taken off me for not being roadworthy, I'd receive a fine and have to pay an impound fee when getting my car back, which is correct because my car is not roadworthy but the show someone shows the gardai letting people away with all sorts of stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

i love this programme!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

draffodx wrote: »
    The Gardai on it appear to be VERY lenient, do people reckon this is just because the show is actually a pr stunt for the gardai to make them out to be a forgiving bunch to try to build a better relationship with motorists?
    Draw your own conclusions, considering a lot of the action is based in Donegal, one of the least populous areas of the state.

Advertisement