Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audi TT / BMW Z3

• 26-05-2009 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I did a search for something similar but could not find it, if there's a thread somewhere feel free to point me in that direction.

The wife wants either a TT (first choice) or a Z3. I want to pay cash so don't want to spend more than 7 or 8 grand at the most if I can help it. Ideally I would also like to purchase in the Republic as hopping the border is a pain in the arse (we need Visa's to get into the UK all of a sudden :mad: ), although it could be arranged as my brother-in-law lives there and could sort it out for us.

I guess my questions are, in this price bracket, what to look out for. She's only really into the aesthetics of the vehicle, I'm pretty sure if it had a sewing machine engine in it she would be happy, although I'd get to drive it some of the time so ideally would want the 225Bhp TT or the 2.8 Z3, but both would probably a waste of money.

The vehicle would also get the minimum miles added to it, as all she would do is work and back (20Km's a day) and the weekend shopping trips. We have the 5 series as a family car.

So, any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Those two would be more hassle than there worth, and you'd be paying out loads on tax on a 2.8.. Heard the TT isnt the most reliable either..

What about the MX5 ? everything IMO is right about this car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I've suggested the MX-5 to her already. Not a runner. It's either the TT or a Z3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Would you get a TT for 8k?

I've seen a good few for 6.5 to 8k yes. However I'm no expert when it comes to the mechanical condition of cars etc hence the post here.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/TT/225bhp/200920192762946/advert?channel=CARS as a random example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Kartale

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/TT/1.8T-S-L/200913192300866/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/TT/200911192148221/advert?channel=CARS

2 nice TT here one over budget but worth a bid.
    1999 one says t belt and water pump which will save you alot down the line, i dont think they are actuallly due on this engine until 80k or so. there are others on carzone.

I would much rather the TT over Z3. Z3 not a car i like to drive nor do i like the look of it. Same to MX 5 , while fun to drive , i think its an awful looking car and would have no desire for one. Defo a woman's car, even thou your looking for your wife.

TT has all mod cons, leather, climate control, some with htd seats, still a cool looking car and some motor for 8k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

Mena wrote: »
    I've seen a good few for 6.5 to 8k yes. However I'm no expert when it comes to the mechanical condition of cars etc hence the post here.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/TT/225bhp/200920192762946/advert?channel=CARS as a random example.

Don't forget the VRT!

Kartale wrote: »
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/TT/1.8T-S-L/200913192300866/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/TT/200911192148221/advert?channel=CARS

2 nice TT here one over budget but worth a bid.
    1999 one says t belt and water pump which will save you alot down the line, i dont think they are actuallly due on this engine until 80k or so. there are others on carzone.

I would much rather the TT over Z3. Z3 not a car i like to drive nor do i like the look of it. Same to MX 5 , while fun to drive , i think its an awful looking car and would have no desire for one. Defo a woman's car, even thou your looking for your wife.

TT has all mod cons, leather, climate control, some with htd seats, still a cool looking car and some motor for 8k

I'm inclined to agree for the most part, and the TT is her first choice anyway.
    Par72 wrote: »
    Don't forget the VRT!

Yeah, Just took the first one a search threw up to make the point that there are a good few under 8k, bad example though as that one would break 10 with VRT :o
    Those two would be more hassle than there worth, and you'd be paying out loads on tax on a 2.8.. Heard the TT isnt the most reliable either..

What about the MX5 ? everything IMO is right about this car.

The more I look at that the more I like it. And that's after agreeing with Kartale 5 minutes ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The more I look at that the more I like it. And that's after agreeing with Kartale 5 minutes ago!
    I'd have the MX-5 over either of the others too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

TT is the coolest car of that lot by far, Z3 unremarkable at best, MX5 very long in the tooth now but still the best drive of the three.

For me it would be TT hands down.

MX very dated looking, very basic spec - wind up windows for god sake ! parts expensive for Mazda and what about the poxy soft roof, the wind noise is terrible and rear view awful .
    I just like the TT

• Advertisement

TT is the coolest car of that lot by far, Z3 unremarkable at best, MX5 very long in the tooth now but still the best drive of the three.

For me it would be TT hands down.
    I don't think the TT was ever a cool car, it started at estate agent and progressed to IT nerd very fast. +1 on the other two, though.

Unlike the Z3, started as hairdresser & progressed to .............

Anan1 wrote: »
    I don't think the TT was ever a cool car

I thought it was. There are 4 cars etched into my head that bowled me over when I saw them first, Lambo Countach, BMW M1, Audi 100 (C3) and Audi TT.

The design will defo go down as one of the coolest and ground breaking for a production car

I thought it was. There are 4 cars etched into my head that bowled me over when I saw them first, Lambo Countach, BMW M1, Audi 100 (C3) and Audi TT.
    The design will defo go down as one of the coolest and ground breaking for a production car
    Don't get me wrong, I thought the design was pretty cool too. It's just that the cars seemed to be bought by people who were desperately trying to be cool which is, if course, not that cool at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

+1 for the TT

I used to own one and I'm def not what you'd call cool. It was just a car I always liked the look of and when I eventually got a chance to drive one I loved it. Admitedly I had a few small issues with mine but how many cars don't have some issues when they get a few years old and they in no way took from my enjoyment of the car and if I had the money I would buy another in the morning.

Don't get me wrong, I thought the design was pretty cool too. It's just that the cars seemed to be bought by people who were desperately trying to be cool which is, if course, not that cool at all.

Yeah point taken.
    I just dont like MX 5 & drive of Z3 is awful.
    but i still think TT better buy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Its all very nice having a car that looks amazing but costs a fortune when things go wrong.. The TT in that price band would be a nightmare theres just so many things that can go wrong.

Simplicity is genius, the MX5 is so simple, dont forget its the guys wife who will be driving the car.. not some IT nerd. 1001011101110

Can anyone elaborate on what can go so wrong on the TT?

Its all very nice having a car that looks amazing but costs a fortune when things go wrong.. The TT in that price band would be a nightmare theres just so many things that can go wrong.

Simplicity is genius, the MX5 is so simple, dont forget its the guys wife who will be driving the car.. not some IT nerd. 1001011101110

Well, to be fair, I'd drive it on the rare occasion, and I'm that IT nerd :(

• Advertisement

If image weren't a factor, I think we'd probably agree that the MX-5 is the best ownership proposition for the OP's wife. The MX-5, though, is a car that appeals primarily to car people.

The MX-5, though, is a car that appeals primarily to car people.

Very true, my wife owned one a while back and just didn't get the noise, lack of comfort, and hardly ever drove with the roof down either! It was the second most irrational thing she ever did.

If image weren't a factor, I think we'd probably agree that the MX-5 is the best ownership proposition for the OP's wife. The MX-5, though, is a car that appeals primarily to car people.

Possibly suits OP wife alright.
    but dont agree on " The MX-5, though, is a car that appeals primarily to car people", is this because its rear wheel drive ? and a bit of crack to drive ?

Its boring and bland, might be easy to work on but thats it - maybe this is what you mean by car peolpe

Being 'a bit of craic to drive' may have something to do with it alright.;)

so are alot of other more interesting cars.
    anyway i'll agree to disagree, dont understand the whole MX 5 thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

MX very dated looking, very basic spec - wind up windows for god sake ! parts expensive for Mazda and what about the poxy soft roof, the wind noise is terrible and rear view awful .
    I just like the TT

The audi also has a "poxy soft roof" in convertible form. Its also a poxy golf underneath which is no sports car. As regards handling the TT does'nt hold a candle to a mx5 and before you tell me it has four wheel drive , so does a john deere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Lads to be fair the OP said that his wife isn't interested in the MX-5, so no real need to harp on about how good/bad it is imo.

Between the TT and z3, it'd be the TT for me. Oh and hard top is a must.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,472 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

did she ever see a back s2000 with a red leather interior, that's a sexy car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

If she has her heart set on a Z3 go for the 1.9 - the 2.8 would be very hard to sell on .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Was going to mention the s2000 myself, gorgeous looking and a lot of fun for you when ya wany to take it out. You could probably hack a bit off this asking price http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1401046

But the s2000 is a car persons car too, the TT might be best for her needs and wants alright, don't really know anything about them mechanically though, the 1.8T VAG engine is ment to be fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

The TT would get the nod from me over the Z3. The z3 to me is not on the same build quality level as the TT.
    It has not dated in the looks department as much as the z3 either.
    I remember reading about the concept versions of the TT when they were first unveiled, I think it was 1994 ('95 at the latest, I was in hospital at the time). I remember thinking that both the coupe & convertible were the coolest looking car. The baseball stitching I was sure would not sake it into production, was glad to see it did end up being offered.

Barr wrote: »
    If she has her heart set on a Z3 go for the 1.9 - the 2.8 would be very hard to sell on .

No, no no! If you are going to endure a Z3 it HAS to be a 6 cylinder version, it's the only thing that lifts the car from utter mediocrity. Christ, a Z3 with a four pot, hell on earth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

No, no no! If you are going to endure a Z3 it HAS to be a 6 cylinder version, it's the only thing that lifts the car from utter mediocrity. Christ, a Z3 with a four pot, hell on earth!

The Z3 is used mostly for posing , most owners dont care whats under the bonnet.

Fizman wrote: »
    Lads to be fair the OP said that his wife isn't interested in the MX-5, so no real need to harp on about how good/bad it is imo.

Between the TT and z3, it'd be the TT for me. Oh and hard top is a must.

To be fair, after showing her a couple more + reactions to this thread she's gone from "No" to "It's not bad actually"...

For some reason we'd never even considered the s2000, it's a stunning looking car to be fair.

/added to the list

Well we'd pretty much be getting it to keep until the wheels fall off, so re-sale isn't really a factor, but I'd agree, especially in Ireland...

I must agree. Luckily I'd only be driving it on the odd occasion, but if I was to spend any amount of time in it it would have to be the 2.8.
    The Z3 is used mostly for posing , most owners dont care whats under the bonnet.

Well, I guess that could be accurate. In our case however a ) she doesn't give a damn what anyone else thinks and b ) would probably be happy with a 2-stoke lawn mower engine :(

Last time we took an M3 out for a spin she almost **** her pants :p

Apologies for dragging this thread up again, but after driving a Z3, a TT and an MX 5, she's got her heart set on a 99 CLK 200 Elegance Auto Convertible... :confused:

No idea where that came from, but as with the first post, does anyone have any insight into these? It looks mint and only has 83000 miles on it.

This one to be precise.

Again, I'd appreciate your collective opinions. She's looking to test drive tomorrow and depending on that, probably take it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

oops - where does this leave me ?

My drive, some time ago:

3babes2_3.JPG

OP - + 1 on the TT. The '5 is still fantastic, and it's as cheap as chips to run/fix. (well, never fix, actually.... :) )

TT is well finished, and lovely interior. The 1.8t is great, even in 180bhp form. Z3 awful. 1.9 engine terrible. Looks yuk, too.

Only query: you won't bet much of a TT for 8k. If it's cheap, it's cheap for a reason. There's a 00 one for sale here at work, remapped to 270bhp. All the big stuff done. But it's still 12k or thereabouts.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Well (typical for her at least), she's changed her mind and wants the CLK 200 Convertible now. I'll never understand how her head works... :pac:

Also, I don't mind going up to 10k or a tad more for the right car. Rather pay now than pay later if you get my meaning.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

This one to be precise.

:P

That's the one she is taking for a spin tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Unlike the Z3, started as hairdresser & progressed to .............

Airhostess

• Advertisement

Well (typical for her at least), she's changed her mind and wants the CLK 200 Convertible now. I'll never understand how her head works... :pac:

Also, I don't mind going up to 10k or a tad more for the right car. Rather pay now than pay later if you get my meaning.

i've a december 02 200kompressor, not a convertible, but it's a great car to drive, plenty of poke for overtaking, it's like riding on a magic carpet, just soaks up the bumps, mpg isn't bad on a run 36mpg, it's a bit of a pig round town but i've no real complaints with it, nice car, I guess the convertible is just as good....there was an engine change in late 02/03 in the 200, not many for sale, could be hard to find within budget..
    the one your looking at looks good for the money... it's not really going to depreciate a whole lot, €7,500 would be a sweet deal...

Just a quick thanks for all the advice from everyone in this thread. It helped a lot.

In the end, she settled on the CLK and we picked it up this morning. Done plenty of roofless driving already today and to say she's ecstatic about it would be an understatement. She looks seriously hot driving it to :cool:

83182.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭eyesofvenus

I always prefered the look of the clk as opposed to the hairdressers choice of SLK 230...nice buy mate

happy Motoring Mena very nice car, did he drop much?

happy Motoring Mena very nice car, did he drop much?

Enough to make me sign the cheque :P

Got 4 new tyres and a service thrown in too.

...... She looks seriously hot driving it to :cool:

....pics, or we're not believin' it :D:D

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Lovely job, is it a 200?

I like the wheels, make an awful difference to the experience.

Well wear!

Lovely job, is it a 200?

I like the wheels, make an awful difference to the experience.

Well wear!

Yeah it's the 200, so not exactly fast by any means. I would have preferred the 230K or 320, but then it's her car and she would never use the extra power.

It is lovely though, and a great driving experience so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Yeah it's the 200, so not exactly fast by any means. I would have preferred the 230K or 320, but then it's her car and she would never use the extra power.

It is lovely though, and a great driving experience so far.

We had a 230 for sale for a time there, and compare to the 200 there isn't massive differences in power. Unless you are really giving it leg, I don't think you would notice it except for the fuel comsumption and tax:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I just like the TT

I just test drove mx5, i whant to buy one, and i can say its just SUPER AWESOME ROADSTER! It just pure fun, and if you have nice sunny days, then funx2 :D

Rear view was very very good, its even better then in clk200. Roof is one of the best soft roofs out there, it does not leak! And about noise... ITS AN ROADSTER! its an cabrio! It suppost to be like that! :D

Spec are prety good, just find one with good spec, dont go for any piece of poo with 1.6 and cloth seats...

And mada mx5 is moust reliable small roadster, its simple like 2+2=4, theres nothing to brake in it! Its a masterpiece!

I dont like TT personally, it shouldnt even be an audi in mine opinion. And Z3 is an opinion of taste.

• Advertisement
Advertisement