Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlie Brooker on Dollhouse

Options
  • 26-05-2009 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2009/may/23/joss-whedon-dollhouse-brooker
    I've never seen Buffy The Vampire Slayer. Not a single episode. Buffy fans are appalled by my negligence. "You MUST watch it!" they scream. "It takes about two seasons to get going, but then ... my God, it's the best show ever made".

Two seasons to get going? That's a commitment of 34 episodes before even its fans think it becomes worthwhile. And there's a further five seasons after that. Given the fans' sparkly-eyed evangelism, I don't doubt for a moment that there's something of worth there. But I'm not a young man any more. I'm greying. My bones ache. It's too late for me to embark on a quest of that magnitude. Consequently, Buffy's been consigned to the growing list of things I'll never try, like bungee jumping and crystal meth.

Yet I have found time to sit through the first two episodes of Buffy creator Joss Whedon's latest creation, Dollhouse (Tue, 9pm, Sci-Fi). And it's bloody awful. Perhaps it'll turn into a work of genius in its third season. I won't know, because I'll have either given up or died by then....cont.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

lol the most ignorant review ive ever read.... EVER
    The minute he first popped up on screen, I instinctively knew me and Dollhouse would never be friends

LOL what a dope, a critic admitting to prejudging :P

He watched a whole 2 shows ? Wow !

If he actually had bothered to watch the whole season and then give a fair judgement then yeah fair enough, but to write up something based on two episodes and admitting to hating the majority of the characters before even giving them a chance... well.... He can **** off to Tibet for all i care !

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Some of us suffered through 6 to reach a fairly similar conclusion. It's very much take it or you agree with Brooker. Dollhouse appeals to a certain demographic and once you are outside that it has no attraction at all. Whatever way you look at it good is not a word you could associate with Dollhouse. The first five range from pretty appalling to abysmal. By all accounts it "improved" and it is getting a second shot. If it tanks as badly ratings-wise in Season 2 it will disappear. As for Topfer he is not remotely credible as a techie and would have been fired long ago if the Dollhouse is half as clever as it thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

nix wrote: »
    lol the most ignorant review ive ever read.... EVER

LOL what a dope, a critic admitting to prejudging :P

He watched a whole 2 shows ? Wow !

If he actually had bothered to watch the whole season and then give a fair judgement then yeah fair enough, but to write up something based on two episodes and admitting to hating the majority of the characters before even giving them a chance... well.... He can **** off to Tibet for all i care !
    Well he's not a reviewer. He's a journalist who's paid to write amusing articles about tv shows (amongst other things). He watched the show and gave his opinion, and it's pretty funny. And when you think about it, it's based on two episodes. If you watch two episodes of a tv series and absolutely hate them, why would you bother with a third?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DEACONFROST11

Thats a preety bad outlook on Buffy one of the greatest shows of all time.I personally loved seasons 1 and 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

he needs to get in touch with his inner young woman

and what people always forget to tell about people who never seen buffy, watch it cos its funny

• Advertisement

Oh man, that is funny. I laughed.
    The weird thing is I agree with nearly everything he said, yet, I actually really enjoy Dollhouse.
    It's stupid but it's fun to watch. I don't believe that everything on the tv has to be 100% realistic... If is was then people wouldn't have such dramatic dialogue or such pretty faces or killer abs. What would be enjoyable about that??
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

To be honest I totally agree with him, being a big Joss Whedon fan I watched the first two episodes and disliked (rather than hated) it. I found Topher particularily grating as well. I only watched the rest some months later after a friend assured me that it picked up considerably near the end.

I'm excited about the next season now especially after seeing Epitaph One, though how it's ever going to excel as a TV series with Echo being such an annoying screen presence is a worry. I even became fond of Topher in the end so anything is possible I guess. :)

Advertisement