Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New lense: advice

• 26-05-2009 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, thinking about getting this...

Sony 500mm lense

1cb7_1.JPG

I want more zoom but don't know if this is a bit extreme

What do you's think

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

With a max aperature of f8 you'd need an exceptionally bright day to get reasonable shots with that of anything other than a stationary subject...

The images posted look very grainy so presumably the photog was using high ISO and they don't look the sharpest either, I'd save my money tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

That's a 50mm lens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

Viz Top Tip : "Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view."

It's a 500mm lens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Nah, link & picture is 500mm.

Finally!!!!

Proof that "Bigger" is not always better! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Thanks guys, exactly the blunt type of advice I wanted.
    Any recomendations on an alternative for a bit of zoom?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I noticed it was 500 on the pic and the link but I had to comment on the initial error with the link. I think the pictures it gives as examples are very unremarkable.

You have a Sony α200, right?
    What lense came with it?
    What kind of zoom are you thinking about, i.e. 10m or 50m?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

mrmac wrote: »
    You have a Sony α200, right?
    What lense came with it?
    What kind of zoom are you thinking about, i.e. 10m or 50m?

Yeah thats right, I got the a200K so it came with 18-70mm Lens.

I dont know what im looking for, just something fairly cheap. and something that I could use on a regular basis, i.e. Zoo, rally, sporting event, castles

I love my Olympus 550UZ as it has 18X optical zoom , but I dont bring that with me much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

That lens in the ebay link is probably a t mount lens adapted to the alpha mount. You will have to use manual mode and no auto focus, if that dosent bother you i'll recomend a better one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TAIR-3-PhS-300mm-f-4-5-M42-LENS-FITS-PENTAX-K-CANON-EOS_W0QQitemZ230344521168QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN?hash=item35a19a75d0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50 is a tair 300mm russian prime. (dont laugh, they made some very good lenses in their time)

I use this one on trips when ringing birds, its nice and sharp at f5.6 and above. As with the majority of russian lenses it has no purple fringing. Its heavy but well built. The colours arent as good as modern lenses but its nothing that p.p cant sort out.

Another option is the tamron 70-300 f4.5-5.6. Its not as sharp or as fast as the old tair but it has auto focus.

My advice is, if you dont mind manual focusing get the tair but if you prefer auto focus, get the tamron.

Why not have a look for some second-hand Minolta lenses?

I see a seller on adverts has an 80-200 he'll sell for €50, and he's not a million miles away from you. At least it'll give you an idea of the range at 200mm?

• Advertisement
Advertisement