Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eggplant troubles:D

Options
  • 26-05-2009 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Can anyone tell me whats the difference between an eggplant and an aubergine?I read somewhere that they are the same thing, but then when I look for recipies, some say that they are 2 different veg. Also, where can I buy an eggplant?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Same ting, forget those yanks! It's an AUBERGINE! :D You can get different types, shapes, colours etc. But the one you'll get here mainly is your commoner gardener aubergine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

For cooking, if you are looking at American recipes then here are some good translations.

Eggplant = Aubergine
    Zucchini = Courgette
    Cilantro = Corriander

• Registered Users Posts: 6 super_dudette

thanks for that!:D

Your welcome. My wife is American so I was forced to figure out what she was talking about. Cilantro was the hardest as its a primary ingredient in Mexican food, in the supermarket she said it "looks" like this parsley but its not the same. Eventually tracked it down on the interweb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

olaola wrote: »
    the one you'll get here mainly is your commoner gardener aubergine.

OT, but why do people say this? The phrase is "common or garden variety"!!!
    Saruman wrote: »
    For cooking, if you are looking at American recipes then here are some good translations.

Eggplant = Aubergine
    Zucchini = Courgette
    Cilantro = Corriander

There's loads more, those crazy Septics have mad names for everything. www.allrecipes.com is one of my favourite sites ever, but a lot of terms need translating.

Hamburger meat/ground beef - mince
    Crescent rolls - croissants
    Biscuits - scones, usually white
    Chicken/beef/vegetable broth - stock
    Fettucine - tagliatelle
    Broil - grill
    Griddle - fry
    Green onion - scallion
    White onion - normal onion
    Bell pepper - normal red, green or yellow pepper
    Chicken breast half - 1 chicken fillet (not half of one!)

I'm sure there's loads more, I'll add them as I think of them.

Oh, and you'll get aubergine in any bog standard supermarket, it's not exactly an exotic ingredient.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭StudentC

Capsicum = pepper (red/green/yellow etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

StudentC wrote: »
    Capsicum = pepper (red/green/yellow etc)

That's more an Australian than an American thing - we could probably have a whole other thread for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭StudentC

Honey-ec wrote: »
    That's more an Australian than an American thing - we could probably have a whole other thread for that!

Yes absolutely, sorry! I was more just thinking about different words for the same thing, and forgot about the American-ness of the thread :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭EastWallGirl

Lidl are doing them for 79 cents and they are a good size. Tesco are usually 1.19 and when they are on sale they are quite small.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Lidl are doing them for 79 cents and they are a good size. Tesco are usually 1.19 and when they are on sale they are quite small.

Aubergines?

• Advertisement

dh0661 wrote: »
    Aubergines?

No, eggplants ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭tscul32

arugula = rocket

Advertisement