Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vista SP2 - Service Pack 2 - 32bit & 64bit

Comments

I see the SPs aren't cumulative anymore. That'll be a pain considering how long it takes to install a service pack on Vista and it'll have to be done twice on RTM machines? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Yep just spotted it now on Windows Update. 567 MB's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

cheers i didnt know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Karsini wrote: »
    I see the SPs aren't cumulative anymore. That'll be a pain considering how long it takes to install a service pack on Vista and it'll have to be done twice on RTM machines? :mad:

That is rather fcuking annoying alright! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Will this be available on disk somewhere? They can't seriously expect me to download 340MB on dial up?! :eek: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

genie wrote: »
    Will this be available on disk somewhere? They can't seriously expect me to download 340MB on dial up?! :eek: :rolleyes:

genie, you have a PM waiting to be read. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is it worth the download?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

mike65 wrote: »
    Is it worth the download?

A good list of fixes was posted here [quoted below]. If any of these matter to you, it'd be worth it.
    DR House wrote:
    YES !

For people who is wondering what does it add (i'll list what matters to me)

Your wireless Signal wont be super slow after you wake up your laptop from "sleep mode" "i noticed it and always had to restart"
    native Blu ray data Disc burn built in windows
    New wireless option in control panel that let you connect to wireless networks faster and easier "Windows connect now"
    New Bluettoth standard support
    Windows Search Engine 4 (Much faster search for files within windows)
    Your sidebar gadgets Wont eat ram/cpu like crazy (Now its fixed)
    Boost your battery life by about 10% with better power management system
    ExFAT format support for HDS
    Better Error handling

And overall OS performance boost and better security of course

Installed it this morning. Painless.

Ta, only the speedier window search is of interest to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Well lads, I just got the notification from Update and said why not. Installation routine took 20 mins or so on this piece of junk:p DL for me was only 350MB, but maybe thats cause I'm on HB edition(When I buy budget, I really buy budget).

No problems to report as yet, BUT, one weird thing. Before install I was reading about 10GB of 101 on C free (was due for a cleanup). Now... 20.3GB free. If anyone could explain that, I'd all ears. I have my suspicions that it was the boloxed indexing system. A few weeks ago I noticed that it wasnt indexing right and files deleted 6 months and more previously were still apearing in searches, though they weren't actually there.

• Advertisement

Similair here, I appear to have gained 10-12 GB on primary drive.

Found it. Quote PC World:
    Bundled with SP2 Beta is the so-called Service Pack Cleanup Tool, also known as compcln.exe. This little tool removes older versions of system files replaced by Service Pack 2, saving you some valuable hard disk space.

A caveat about the cleanup tool: Once you run it, there's no going back. You can't roll back to Service Pack 1 without erasing your hard drive once the cleanup tool does its thing, so make sure you really want to stay with Service Pack 2 Beta beforehand.

Before running the cleanup tool, I noted my test PC's free hard disk space: 44.4 GB. After running the cleanup tool, the drive's free space increased slightly to 44.8 GB. However, over the next few minutes, free space actually decreased slightly, to 43.9 GB.

To rule out the possibility of virtual memory affecting the disk's free space, I restarted and noted the drive's free space again: 44.0 GB—still slightly below where I stood before running the cleanup tool. After a second restart, free space stood at 45.0 GB. Long story short—you may or may not notice some increase in free space, but don't expect miracles.

Full article (From the beta) http://www.pcworld.com/article/155159/vista_sp2_beta_more_efficient_but_not_by_much.html

Note that its not reverable....shoulda read up first....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Thanks op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭cianr

Just spent the last 45 mins trying to get my sound working again after the update. I tried a few different things so I cant be sure what actually fixed it(though it may have actually changed my default speakers under "Sound" - a tip for those with the same problem).

Also noticing quite a bit of extra space on the HDD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I got 15GB back on my 320GB Vaio! Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dimma02

Is this worth downloading, approx how long does it take with 1 MB download from eircom and has anybody had any problems since loading SP2. I know there was loads of issues with drivers etc with SP1.!!!!
    Don't want to mess up OS system as vista working just fine for me at the moment!!!!!
    Cheers for the update.:)

About 20 mins I think the file is quite compressed, about 15 mins to install on my 32bit 1.8 Ghz machine

:p Defragged and rebooted, lost 8.7 of the 10Gb opened up by the cleaner. Damnnit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

"Service Pack installation cannot continue
    One or more system components that the service pack requires are missing. "

Doesn't work with a vLite installation. :(

Did you install Service Pack 1?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Adyx wrote: »
    "Service Pack installation cannot continue
    One or more system components that the service pack requires are missing. "

Doesn't work with a vLite installation. :(
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dd300591.aspx

Recommendations

If “vLite” was used to customize your Windows Vista installation, you may have removed required system components which prevent Service Pack 2 from installing. See KB 968279 for additional details before installing Service Pack 2.

KB 968279 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968279 - not a lot of help
    This problem occurs because system components that are required to install Windows Vista SP2 are not present on your computer.

However, a common reason for this problem is that the vLite software was used to customize the Windows Vista installation and some required system components were removed.

RESOLUTION
    To resolve this problem, use genuine Microsoft software media to reinstall Windo...
    To resolve this problem, use genuine Microsoft software media to reinstall Windows Vista with Service Pack 1 and then install Windows Vista SP2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dd300591.aspx

Recommendations

If “vLite” was used to customize your Windows Vista installation, you may have removed required system components which prevent Service Pack 2 from installing. See KB 968279 for additional details before installing Service Pack 2.

KB 968279 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968279 - not a lot of help

Yeah, I saw that. Don't really fancy reinstalling though. I wouldn't mind but I actually removed very little (UAC definitely though :p).

Edit: Yep SP1 installed with no hassle. This is the first time I've gotten an error message from using vLite.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Download and installation using 3G wifi card only took about 30 minutes. Installation went smoothly, but now my rig is a bit sluggish when booting. This slow boot reminds me of when I first adopted Vista Ultimate over 2 years ago.

Before installing Vista sp2 today, my Vista OS had been running as fast as XP sp3.

I had also upgraded from IE7 to IE8 a few weeks ago, and compared to IE7 or FF3.0, it too is very sluggish to load.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Download and installation using 3G wifi card only took about 30 minutes. Installation went smoothly, but now my rig is a bit sluggish when booting. This slow boot reminds me of when I first adopted Vista Ultimate over 2 years ago.

Before installing Vista sp2 today, my Vista OS had been running as fast as XP sp3.

I had also upgraded from IE7 to IE8 a few weeks ago, and compared to IE7 or FF3.0, it too is very sluggish to load.

I wonder if it's re-indexing/optimising itself as they did after SP1, if so, it should settle down over a couple of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

downloaded-whole system locked up-had to format disk-afraid to try it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,817 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

went spiffy. had some internet problems at the end of the night though. not sure if this was to do with sp2 or not, but I noticed my cable modem seemed to spring back to life anytime I turned of the sp2 machine or shut off its network connection. was weird, not happening atm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

astrofool wrote: »
    I wonder if it's re-indexing/optimising itself as they did after SP1, if so, it should settle down over a couple of days.
    You may be correct in your observation. Vista sp2 is not as sluggish today.

One of my utilities is now dysfunctional. Toshiba flash card support utility is now showing error messages.

IE8 remains sluggish, but it was that way before updating to sp2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Around 350 MB on Business (32-bit).

Installation was about 10 minutes. Didn't notice the usual intense re-indexing afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Took at least an hour for me, vista ultimate. Before I had 20 something gb free. Afterwards I had over 60gb free!
    Running fine but I think login time is slower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

kc66 wrote: »
    Running fine but I think login time is slower.
    Noticed that too. Seems to be more black screen time before login now?

Not a big complaint. Just something I noticed. Thought it might be my imagination.

Advertisement