Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is using my wireless modem ?

Options
  • 26-05-2009 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

I recently went wireless in the house and was unsecured for a while.

I have a feeling that someone was using my connection as the lights would start flashing away even though PC was off.

Anyway, is there anyway I can see who or if anyone is logged onto my modem ?

(I have now improved security but was thinking of trying an experiment !)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭hustlergraham

Key this in to your browser 192.168.1.254 (if your with eircom) and then expert mode,statistics and then wireless.

You can see whos logged on then. Hope this helps you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Thread here shows how/where on different brands:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055567450

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

If you have a netopia you can use the inbuilt "Limit Wireless Access by MAC Address" option so that only computers who have their mac address listen will be able use the network

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Caliden wrote: »
    If you have a netopia you can use the inbuilt "Limit Wireless Access by MAC Address" option so that only computers who have their mac address listen will be able use the network

That isn't an adequate level of security as it is trivial to fake a mac address.

You should use WPA security with a decent long random alpha numeric password.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 railto

englander wrote: »
    I recently went wireless in the house and was unsecured for a while.

I have a feeling that someone was using my connection as the lights would start flashing away even though PC was off.

Anyway, is there anyway I can see who or if anyone is logged onto my modem ?

(I have now improved security but was thinking of trying an experiment !)

All due respect, but you deserve for someone to be using your wireless, leaving a WLAN unsecured is like leaving the keys in your front door, its asking for trouble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The wireless modem lights will blink in any case as there will be some inherent communications on the WAN link. If it is a standard eircom netopia and you haven't changed the default security then it is likely to be used by someone exploiting the well known eircom ssid flaw.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The wireless modem lights will blink in any case as there will be some inherent communications on the WAN link. If it is a standard eircom netopia and you haven't changed the default security then it is likely to be used by someone exploiting the well known eircom ssid flaw.

The poster actually stated that the security was off for a while.

And the poster doesnt state what type of of broadband he or she has never mind whether it might be with Eircom or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Best way to see if soemone strange is on your network to run something like
    Look@Lan

It shows all devices on LAN including routers, game consoles etc, regardless if connected through wifi or cat5, DHCP or not.

Advertisement