Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion wiring query

Options
  • 26-05-2009 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

The immersion switch needed to be replaced and I picked up a new switch but it is not the same as the previous one.

Basically I have the 3 wires coming from the main (neutral, earth and live) from the immersion I have 4 wires (green/yellow=earth, blue, black and brown).

The switch has neutral in, neutral out, live, bath, sink and two earths. which way would you suggest I wire this so that the fuse box doesn't trip.

I have attached images to show the configuration.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Blue - Neutral - connect to N out on the switch

Black - Either live to sink element or bath element connect to either sink or bath terminal in the switch.

Brown- Either live to sink element or bath element connect to either sink or bath terminal in the switch.

Green yellow connect to either of the 2 earth terminals in the switch.

There should be a supply cable to the immersion switch, make sure the earth from this is connected to the remaining earth terminal on the switch.

Brown on supply cable, connect this to the live in terminal on the switch.

To identify which is the sink and which is the bat element, measure the resistance between the brown and the blue then the brown and the black on the flex to the immersion. Which ever has the lower resistance is the bath element.

If you are not 100% sure of what you are doing get a qualified electrician to do it!!

Remember all connections should be tight and doubled over.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

What 2011 said
    and also i would check that connection of the wire from the element to the stat because from the picture it looks very scorched suggesting a loose connection there:eek: and if you look closely at the 2 screws the one on the right looks a bit higher so maybe its not screwed fully home

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭colly3

In a similar situation to the opening poster - spring went in the switch, haven't been able to get an identical switch to the old one (pic one) so not entirely sure how to fit the new one (pic 2).
    Any help or tips would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭17larsson

The brown cable currently in 'L' goes into 'L in' on the new switch.
    The brown cable currently in 'bath' goes into 'L1'.
    The black cable currently in 'sink' goes into 'L2'.
    The blue cable from the white flex goes into 'N out'
    The other blue cable goes into 'N in'
    You need to put a link wire from 'L out' to 'Com', make sure it's the same size cable (2.5mm).
    Put the green/yellow cables in one of the terminals either side of the main unit.

That should get you out but I would rather hear back from you saying you got an electrician to do it but if not just make sure your connections are tight and the power is off at the fuseboard when working on it

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

In the first pic the 2 blues together is wrong.... You should be breaking the neutral thru the switch. U see there is no cable in the N out terminal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

You may want to return that new immersion switch for another brand
    There is problem with that switch and i have replaced numerous ones in the last while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

meercat wrote: »
    There is problem with that switch and i have replaced numerous ones in the last while

I wasn't aware of any issue with them

are you sure it wasnt loose wiring?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

I wasn't aware of any issue with them

are you sure it wasnt loose wiring?

Definitely not
    Replaced at least 6 of them that I had fitted
    Don't seem to be able to take the load

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭17larsson

Definitely not
    Replaced at least 6 of them that I had fitted
    Don't seem to be able to take the load

I actually noticed this recently as well. I wasn't sure if it was coincidence or the fact this particular switch was dodgy but if other people are finding problems as well then it must be the switch

Thanks for that meercat - I took your advice and went to the electrical shop this morning and got an identical one to the old one. Will wire it up when I go home.

Thanks all - Great site with great people always willing to help :)

• Advertisement

In the first pic the 2 blues together is wrong.... You should be breaking the neutral thru the switch. U see there is no cable in the N out terminal

Has been like that for 15 years :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

Put the neutral going to the immersion element into the N out terminal and all is good then.....

Operation Immersion is a success, thanks everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 davidmpm

hi,

my switch is the same as Mburke's switch and the immersion has never been fully wired since the house was built.
    at the moment there are 3 wires connected and 4 loose wires.

the 3 connected wires are:
    Blue to N
    Brown to L
    green & yellow to the brass connector on the side

the free wires are Blue, Brown, Black and Green&Yellow

would I be correct in saying that the free:
    blue wire goes to the N OUT port
    Black wire goes to BATH port
    Brown wire goes to SINK port
    Green & Yellow goes to the other brass connector earth terminal - opposite the one with the other the green & yellow wire?

thanks for any help!!

davidmpm wrote: »
    hi,

my switch is the same as Mburke's switch and the immersion has never been fully wired since the house was built.
    at the moment there are 3 wires connected and 4 loose wires.

the 3 connected wires are:
    Blue to N
    Brown to L
    green & yellow to the brass connector on the side

the free wires are Blue, Brown, Black and Green&Yellow

would I be correct in saying that the free:
    blue wire goes to the N OUT port
    Black wire goes to BATH port
    Brown wire goes to SINK port
    Green & Yellow goes to the other brass connector earth terminal - opposite the one with the other the green & yellow wire?

thanks for any help!!

brown=bath black=sink

most of the time

you could check if you had an owl meter or a esb meter that spins

cheers tomdempsey200 ill try that!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

This can be confirmed by using an ohm meter. The bath element will have a lower resistance than the sink.

yes

about 19ohm for bath

and 25ohm for sink

if he has a multimeter

I actually dont have an ohm metre but ill try brown=bath black=sink and see if that works by monitoring which heats more water
    thanks!

Advertisement