Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Polaroid in the NY times today

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Awesome, I love my polaroid camera, i don't use it enough though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

sineadw wrote: »
    Was in Gunns earlier - I KNEW there was something else I wanted to buy!

Anyway - http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/26/technology/26polaroid.html

:)

Yeah, the impossible project. I've been watching it with some interest ever since I decided that re-filling my SX-70 at €30 a pop had gotten too expensive. There are pros and cons though ...

Its part run by or financed by Harmon (Ilford) which is a good thing. Rumour has it that one of the first integral (600) films will be B&W, based off some Ilford tech.

OTOH, its associated with polanoid/unsaleable which are either partly/wholly owned by, or are run by the dreaded Lomographic society, so anything they DO produce will most likely be prohibitively expensive and smothered in ludicrous hipster marketing garbage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Last time I was in Gunn's Kathy said that they now had a website, I cannot find it!

Last time I was in Gunn's Kathy said that they now had a website, I cannot find it!

hmmm ... brief bit of URL inventing comes up with this:

http://www.johngunn.ie/

Its just a big GIF though, no actual content. Maybe they're updating it.

-edit-
    oh lord ... don't look at the source if you want to keep your sanity intact. Someone is doing up a page in MS Word and trying to export it as a site. On IE it's text, on Firefox it renders the entire thing as a big GIF... :eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

:eek: I looked at the source - I couldn't help it. Dear god... And its built in tables too...

Funnily, I was chatting to Fiona today - I priced a Stofen box in Conns and it was 30 there, 21 in Gunns - and she was saying people only ever tell them when they're going right - not when they're going wrong. I think this might be case in point? I'm on my way in tomorrow to collect something - I wonder if I should mention it?

The gif looks like a test site template maybe? I cannot figure out why its displaying so differently cross browser on the same url? Is that an issue firefox has with word documents? Must be I guess...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's pretty grim looking in Firefox right enough, a very poor rendition of a GIF file and the 'Find Us' link doesn't work. It does in IE where the page looks much better, although the 'Find Us' link refers to a map 'download', all it does is bring you to Google Maps.

Seems to be a work in progress - none of the top links are working.. I wonder are they advertising it? AR?

I almost feel like offering to fix it..

Yeah maybe its just a work in progress. Though, I gotta say here, I've been in the industry about 15 years and I've never seen anyone actually putting a site together in Word ... It doesn't really speak volumes about the professionalism of whoever it is they're getting to do it. OTOH maybe they're just getting some friend or someone they know to put it up as a favor or something.

Thats a joke of a wesite. Really is, for such a big company

Tallon wrote: »
    :confused:

They're a small family run shop. I can't think of anything more of an antithesis of a big company than Gunns :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

Tallon wrote: »

Are you talking about Gunns? It's a family business, hardly a big company...

*snap*

:confused:

They're a small family run shop. I can't think of anything more of an antithesis of a big company than Gunns :rolleyes:

Really? I thought they were big, who the hell am I thinking of? Conns?

According to the source the author is Sandra Gunn :) Oh and I HATE Conns site - it's really ugly.

sineadw wrote: »
    According to the source the author is Sandra Gunn :) Oh and I HATE Conns site - it's really ugly.

probably best not to criticise so :D

probably best not to criticise so :D

You might be right ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

do Gunns sell Polaroid film, need it for a Polaroid One ?
    b

Yep they do. I got 600 off them a while back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I would tell them sinead, I know sfa about anything like that so it's all on your shoulders!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Was in there for the first time the other day after all the recomendations I got from on here. Was well impressed.

Lovely, lovely people - they genuinely seem interested in what your after and they don't try and hock you something expensive you don't need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

I know nothing about Polaroids, vaguely remember them as a kid.... BUT I want one. I'd love to have one for checking set-ups when using strobes.

so a few questions

did they have a hot shoe?
    recommend a model?
    how much is film roughly?
    Is it available in Black & White film too?

On the subjects of Gunns Camera Shop ....... It's family run and the only shop worth visiting for honest advice and choice. Browse elsewhere then go to Gunns.

• Advertisement

Simplicius wrote: »

recommend a model?

Not that I know of - built in, pop-up flash
    Don't look at me!
    Expensive. ****e expensive. Cheapest I've seen is 15 quid for ten sheets.
    Think so, yes?

TBH its not something I'd be using to check set ups, or anything like. That's what crappy digitals are for. Its waaaaaaaaay too expensive for that.

I <3 it though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 carasaf

Simplicius wrote: »
    I know nothing about Polaroids, vaguely remember them as a kid.... BUT I want one. I'd love to have one for checking set-ups when using strobes.

so a few questions

recommend a model?

On the subjects of Gunns Camera Shop ....... It's family run and the only shop worth visiting for honest advice and choice. Browse elsewhere then go to Gunns.

built in flash
    my favourite is the 680, but it's difficult. the 600 is the easiest to get now, and i've found them pretty durable
    €20 for 10 sheet of 600 and upwards
    not easily, and not 600

you'd probably be better with fuji instant but apparently due to bad marketing sales of instax are poor and it may not be around much longer

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i think your thinking of mf polaroid backs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Er... No?

Advertisement