Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics stats?

Options
  • 26-05-2009 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

Just wondering for the macro part of the paper when should current stats be used and are these listed on a certain site?, thnks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

www.cso.ie anyway. Might take a bit of rooting around to find them. Get the latest unemployment figures anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

cheers, but how are they used in your answer, just as an attached point or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

this year we're due a question on it I think. you don't use them normally! there's a specific question that asks you to comment using correct figures on ireland's unemployment rate for the last year etc. look in your papers! I'm not bothering learning them. I'm not learning the ecconomists either, won't have many options :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

this year we're due a question on it I think. you don't use them normally! there's a specific question that asks you to comment using correct figures on ireland's unemployment rate for the last year etc. look in your papers! I'm not bothering learning them. I'm not learning the ecconomists either, won't have many options :o
    Apart from that specific question though my teacher says we should try to include up to date stats whenever we can in our answers.

Definitely incorporate stats into the middle of your answer rather than just sticking them in at the end. This way you show the examiner you understand the stats and their implications

e.g A country with a rising unemployment rate such as is the case in Ireland where seasonally adjusted unemployment has risen from 5.4% in April 2008 to 11.4% in April 2009 poses the following problems for the government.

P.s you should use MAY figures if they are available before your exam

• Advertisement

you do use them normally in questions on unemployment, inflation etc, and the economists come up as part of other questions, we were told to make sure we learn the main ones i.e Keynes Smith Malthus Friedeman

@pathway33, would april figures be okay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

damn I was never told to include stats except for that specific question

damn I was never told to include stats except for that specific question
    we wer told a1 macro answers should have relevant stats i.e unemployment in april 09 is 11.4% or inflation rates are currently 0.6% etc.

btw i defo wouldnt leave out economic history and theory:cool:

you do use them normally in questions on unemployment, inflation etc, and the economists come up as part of other questions, we were told to make sure we learn the main ones i.e Keynes Smith Malthus Friedeman

@pathway33, would april figures be okay

i would say april figures will be way ahead of the posse and you won't lose any marks for not using may figures. the examiner will be delighted as long as you say they are april

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 krustywanksock

Go on to the rte website and look at economy at a glance in the business section it has every stat you can possibly need and only the stats

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

You don't need the exact figures either. Just have them pretty accurate. It's your understanding of and how you analyse the figures that should earn you praise. Gluk.

Advertisement