Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Irish Republic" and the BBC - What is their problem?

• 26-05-2009 4:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭

Odd how when we had our Irish Republic the British refused to accept it, but now you can't stop them from accepting it. They are "Irish Republic" crazy - they love it.

How illiterate are these people? Really, I do mean that. I am specifically talking about the British Broadcasting Corporation. Why do they keep referring to this state by neither its official name nor its official description? Are they making a political point that I am not aware of? I have never, ever, ever heard or read a BBC report that refers to this state by its correct, internationally recognised name: Ireland. Indeed, they cannot seem to even manage the official description, Republic of Ireland.

The only satisfaction is that I can read really pompous English (or is it British?) academics, influenced by this "Irish Republic" illiteracy from the BBC, with the knowledge that every time they write so smugly about this "Irish Republic" that they are wrong, they are incompetent, they have not done their research properly, and they are unprofessional. And academics pride themselves on not being any of these.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

who cares really, its better than "Eire" or "Southern Ireland"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Its just part of the wee game both our nations play. Its been going on for years, here's some of our little tricks too, particuarly in our weather reports...

Many Irish people normally don't refer to Derry by its other alias...

The majority of Irish people (including the government) also don't consider themselves part of the term 'British isles'...

Just an observation. Im not advocating anything should be called anything by the way, im just saying, this is the way it is and has been for years!

Would you call the banana republic the republic of banana? Would you call the People's republic of China the Chinese peoples republic?

Im not sure what im saying, my eyes hurt, im confusing myself now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm going to take a wild guess that you probably wouldn't like whatever the Brits do.

Principally because they are Brits.

Anyway, it is Irish. And it's a Republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The use of the word Republic to describe ROI is to distinguish between that country and Northern Ireland , at least that's what I hear on the BBC news ie, police in Northern Ireland have .......or police in Republic of Ireland have . ......

I am agreeing with Stovelid on this

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

silverside wrote: »
    who cares really, its better than "Eire" or "Southern Ireland"

That's true. But "Irish Republic" equally has no basis in law so why are they using it? It cannot be that difficult to get this basic thing correct, and they do have a BBC style guide for such matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Stop being so sensitive. It is simple, when someone in the UK refers to Ireland then it can mean Northern Ireland which is part of the UK or the republic of Ireland which is us. So they use Irish republic to distinguish us.

Get over it, no political conspiracy its simply to let their audience know where exactly they are talking about.
    The same way we refer to America as the United states so as to distinguish it from Mexico and Canada.

Why call them Brits or British? You know we are British too right? Its a Geographic name around long before there was a nation called England.

daveirl wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

But that is part of my point: our soccer team is not the "Irish Republic" - it is "Republic of Ireland". Republic of Ireland is the official description of this state since the Republic of Ireland Act 1948. "Irish Republic" has no basis in Irish law. It was the name of the first all-Ireland state from 1916 until 1922 (depending on your view).

And Ireland remains the official name of this state. They must clearly be aware of these facts but are wilfully ignoring them. Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

It's actually Republic Of Ireland.And we are officially known as Eire.

Latchy wrote: »
    The use of the word Republic to describe ROI is to distinguish between that country and Northern Ireland , at least that's what I hear on the BBC news ie, police in Northern Ireland have .......or police in Republic of Ireland have . ......

This.
    Beanstalk wrote: »

Many Irish people normally don't refer to Derry by its other alias...

I doubt that most of the BBC staff give a sh*t about LondonDerry/Derry/Doire or whatever. The official name is LondonDerry (no matter how palatable or unpalatable that is) and they are the state broadcaster.

Yet again, the default Irish mode of forensically examining the most humdrum and unintentional of British utterances for traces of prejudice.

• Advertisement

Why call them Brits or British? You know we are British too right? Its a Geographic name around long before there was a nation called England.

I agree with most of your quote except this. The word Briton refered to a tribe that dwelled in mainland britain prior to the Roman conquest. The word Britannia was used to describe the island on which they were from. Hibernia was used to describe Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Saruman wrote: »

No we're not. Britain is an island, and if you're talking about ethnically British people, then that would the Welsh and Cornish, who are the remnants of Britons who inhabited most of the island before Romans, Vikings, Saxons, Angles, Jutes and Normans had a go of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Hate these kindof threads tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Eh, do you say Israel, or the State of Israel. One is the official term, the other common usage.

Not sure I see the big deal here. Some people are constantly determined to be insulted though and I can't help but think the OP is one of em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

We are such a fussy bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Can you explain a bit further here. ?

stovelid wrote: »
    This.

I doubt that most of the BBC staff give a sh*t about LondonDerry/Derry/Doire or whatever. The official name is LondonDerry (no matter how palatable or unpalatable that is) and they are the state broadcaster.

Yet again, the default Irish mode of forensically examining the most humdrum and intentional of British utterances for traces of prejudice.

Im aware of the official name. I was simply pointing out the fact that Irish weather broadcasters (or the majority of Irish people that ive ever met for that matter) don't refer to Derry as Londonderry. I don't have a political opinion on this, don't hate me. :eek:

Stop being so sensitive. It is simple, when someone in the UK refers to Ireland then it can mean Northern Ireland which is part of the UK or the republic of Ireland which is us. So they use Irish republic to distinguish us.

Why use "Irish Republic" when they could use "Republic of Ireland" and at least be more correct? And indeed 'Ireland' is shorter still, and happens to be the correct official internationally recognised name of this state. But they opt for a longer version. Hmmmm.

When RTÉ start referring to them as Brits and the BBC start referring to us as "Paddies" that might be equivalent. However, RTÉ does not refer to the UK as England or something similar (even though the UK is just an extension of England, but let's not get into that).

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Hate these kindof threads tbh

Typical {West Brit | Provo maniac}

/delete where applicable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Karlusss wrote: »
    No we're not. Britain is an island, and if you're talking about ethnically British people, then that would the Welsh and Cornish, who are the remnants of Britons who inhabited most of the island before Romans, Vikings, Saxons, Angles, Jutes and Normans had a go of it.

I'm the King of the Britons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Good man yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

The BBC make my blood boil with thier really condesending 'Republic of Ireland',and their 'LondonDerry' and 'the United Kingdom of England,Wales,Scotland and Northern Ireland',they still think of us as a puppet of Britain,sure when Samantha Mumba was big,she was credited as being the fastest selling artist from Britain,FFS they wont even let us have Samantha Mumba,jesus I hate them,lol

They took our Graham too! :pac:

http://bit.ly/13jqq6

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Im aware of the official name. I was simply pointing out the fact that Irish weather broadcasters (or the majority of Irish people that ive ever met for that matter) don't refer to Derry as Londonderry. I don't have a political opinion on this, don't hate me. :eek:

Sorry man, I wasn't having a go at you.

Obviously, it's acceptable here to say Derry. In Britain, referring to LD probably doesn't necessarily mean anything other than adhering to the official name.

Also to your average British TV viewer who isn't that well up on Irish politics, Ireland could probably refer to either side of the border. Loads of British people just think of NI as 'Ireland' so it's probably natural for the BBC to distinguish between the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I was under the impression that we are part of the British Isles, and were named that way not only by the Romans but by the Greeks.
    I could very easily be wrong of course but my point is more along the lines of I don't give a crap if the BBC calls us Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Eire, Irish republic. I don't care if they name us as one of the British Isles.

edit: This is what I was referring to pretty much.
    The rediscovery of Ptolemy's Geographia by Maximus Planudes in 1300 brought new insight, and circulation of copies widened when it was translated into Latin in 1409.[99][100] This spread Ptolemy's naming of Hibernia and Albion as Island of Britannia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Good man yourself.

You don't like movies, do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

Get over it, no political conspiracy its simply to let their audience know where exactly they are talking about.
    The same way we refer to America as the United states so as to distinguish it from Mexico and Canada.

Have to agree with most of the post except for the last bit about being British;) However the thread isnt about this so I will leave it at that!

In reference to the OPs statement that "I have never, ever, ever heard or read a BBC report that refers to this state by its correct, internationally recognised name: Ireland", I would imagine that the correct term is 'Republic of Ireland' as Ireland refers to the whole island or the 32 counties or whatever other term can be used to describe the geographical rock we live on! The fact that the BBC say 'Irish Republic' clearly refers to 'Republic of Ireland' and doesnt seem to confuse most people so I cannot see what the issue is to be honest!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Republic? :eek:

What?????? Nobody told me about this.

Oh. My. God. We did it guys!!! WE DID IT!!!!

WUHOOO!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

and after everything thats happened in the country in the last week all your bothered about is whatever name some people call it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Hydroquinone

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    The BBC make my blood boil with thier really condesending 'Republic of Ireland',and their 'LondonDerry' and 'the United Kingdom of England,Wales,Scotland and Northern Ireland',they still think of us as a puppet of Britain,sure when Samantha Mumba was big,she was credited as being the fastest selling artist from Britain,FFS they wont even let us have Samantha Mumba,jesus I hate them,lol

Samantha bloody Mumba? Good God, is that the best example you can come up with? How long is it since anyone heard of her?

And if that's the sort of guff that gets under your skin, I presume you are equally hacked off that there were ninnies claiming that Barack Obama was from Offaly not too long ago?

Sorry man, I wasn't having a go at you.

Obviously, it's acceptable here to say Derry. In Britain, referring to LD probably doesn't necessarily mean anything other than adhering to the official name.

Also to your average British TV viewer who isn't that well up on Irish politics, Ireland could probably refer to either side of the border. Loads of British people just think of NI as 'Ireland' so it's probably natural for the BBC to distinguish between the two.

This is true. I live in England, everyone here thinks im from Northern Ireland because of my accent. The fact im from Donegal only gets looks of confusion. I don't mind at all though, I don't expect anyone over here to be well versed in Irish Politics. Even the news programmes in Britain are regionally based, so you would hardly ever hear northern ireland mentioned in the BBC South News.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Why use "Irish Republic" when they could use "Republic of Ireland" and at least be more correct? And indeed 'Ireland' is shorter still, and happens to be the correct official internationally recognised name of this state. But they opt for a longer version. Hmmmm.

Who gives a sh*t to be honest.

People get their knickers in a twist over the dumbest things. Get a life.

and after everything thats happened in the country in the last week all your bothered about is whatever name some people call it
    This sums it up for me .Like you would think we would get over this Brit 'naughty boys' hang up once and for all .

tororosso wrote: »
    The fact that the BBC say 'Irish Republic' clearly refers to 'Republic of Ireland' and doesnt seem to confuse most people so I cannot see what the issue is to be honest!!!!

LOL. If we've got to the stage where the British state broadcaster can't refer to this country by a name that explicitly recognizes our status as a republic, and clearly delineates us as a separate, sovereign entity to British-controlled territory, than clearly whatever the Brits say will always be wrong in some people's eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Republic? :eek:

What?????? Nobody told me about this.

Oh. My. God. We did it guys!!! WE DID IT!!!!

WUHOOO!!!!!

The Republic of Paedophilia & Taxfiddlia nearly sounds like a real country.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    The Republic of Paedophilia, & Taxfiddlia nearly sounds like a real country.
    Now dont go upsetting the OP on this one

Agree .

It's actually Republic Of Ireland.And we are officially known as Eire.

It's actually not Éire. Re-read your Constitution as it is very, very clear that the official name of this state when speaking English is Ireland. Éire has no legal basis when using English. In a British request, in English, for extradition some years back the judge rejected the request on the grounds that it did not have the correct name of this state on it. It had Éire rather than Ireland.

So true.

The real enemies of this country are here, not on the other side of the Irish sea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I'm gonna p1ss off all those gobsh1tes who keep blatherin on about that kip down south by referring to the peoples republic of cork as the Corkish Republic!!!

So true.

The real enemies of this country are here, not on the other side of the Irish sea.
    Indeed ,we have well used up our lets blame the Brits for everything card .It's usually dragged out a lot to cover up the wrongdoings in Ireland .

• Advertisement

I was under the impression that we are part of the British Isles, and were named that way not only by the Romans but by the Greeks.
    I could very easily be wrong of course but my point is more along the lines of I don't give a crap if the BBC calls us Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Eire, Irish republic. I don't care if they name us as one of the British Isles.

edit: This is what I was referring to pretty much.

Ha! Get yourself over to the Wikipedia 'British Isles' discussion (and its 27 archives) and you are in for a big shock. You could also read the article and you'll discover that the term British Isles only entered the English language as the results of an English imperialist called John Dee.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles

my point is more along the lines of I don't give a crap if the BBC calls us Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Eire, Irish republic. I don't care if they name us as one of the British Isles.
    so long that we can receive the BBC (lets get the priorities right!). ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I assume that the refer to the south of Ireland the Irish Republic or the Republic of Ireland to avoid confusion with Northern Ireland, which happens to be part of the Island of Ireland which is also simply known as Ireland. The south (26 counties) of Ireland is a Republic. As long as they don't call it Éire, I don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Typical {West Brit | Provo maniac}

/delete where applicable.

No. Irish.

In Britain, referring to LD probably doesn't necessarily mean anything other than adhering to the official name.

Odd - or is it? - that they can't seem to apply the same 'adhering to the official name' logic here and use the official name of this state, Ireland.

Also they often refer to the British Government or the British Prime Ministers or Britian when the really mean The Government of the UK, the UK Prime Minister or the UK.

Now that I think of it the BBC really should be UKBC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

Rebelheart wrote: »

I am specifically talking about the British Broadcasting Corporation. Why do they keep referring to this state by neither its official name nor its official description? ... Indeed, they cannot seem to even manage the official description, Republic of Ireland.

Rubbish

"Tesco has cut prices by up to 25% at 11 stores in the Republic of Ireland near the border with Northern Ireland."http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/8033869.stm

"Meanwhile, figures released by the Department of Trade and Investment showed a 26% increase in the number of holidaymakers visiting Northern Ireland from the Republic of Ireland last year." http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/8062931.stm

"The government has been defeated in the Lords over plans to introduce controls over people travelling between Great Britain and the Republic of Ireland" http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7977911.stm

Still at least no-one refers to the United States of America as America, eh?

Elmo wrote: »
    I assume that the refer to the south of Ireland the Irish Republic or the Republic of Ireland to avoid confusion with Northern Ireland, which happens to be part of the Island of Ireland which is also simply known as Ireland. The south (26 counties) of Ireland is a Republic. As long as they don't call it Éire, I don't care.

Argghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

'Irish Republic' is not the correct description of this state. 'Republic of Ireland', in sharp contrast, is. The difference is germane.

We do all understand that the offical name of the Republic of Ireland is Éire or in the English Lanuage Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement