Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Irish Republic" and the BBC - What is their problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Until this moment I and, I can safely say, the rest of the great unwashed peasantry

lol delusional, if you play your ipod really loud the voices in your head telling you about the BBC will go away.

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    Whats the problem with just saying Ireland???

None, but everbody thinks it's an island first and foremost, and so when them over the water hear it they go 'north or south?' to try and find out which of the two retarded statelets are being talked about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

O'Coonassa wrote: »
    None, but everbody thinks it's an island first and foremost, and so when them over the water hear it they go 'north or south?' to try and find out which of the two retarded statelets are being talked about.

But its just a small island country,why not refer to it as Ireland,when someone refers to something happening in Germany I dont say 'East or West'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

His name is "RebelHeart" and he's banging on about extradition etc. Seriously, get a life OP! Go out and get laid or something, this is pathetic.
    If the Irish Republic ever got in trouble with another country who do you think the first to help us out? I'm thinking our Brit neighbours would of course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

But its just a small island country,why not refer to it as Ireland,when someone refers to something happening in Germany I dont say 'East or West'

Didn't you hear about that wall that came down a few years ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

You would have before the wall came down though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

This seemed to start off as a simple "why can't they...." then descends into what I would describe as borderline lunacy...

To add my two cents... So WHAT, maybe they continue with it to give the pedants among us something to harp on about...?

Certainly kept them busy here anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Edit: Can't be bothered.

But that's because Germany is only one State. When it was two we asked "East or West?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i am sat here with my eyes wide open and a astonished look on my face,why i have just read these threads,i have a picture in my mind of millions of irish men/women reading the british press or listening to the BBC just to see if some thing has been said or wrote that they can pretend to get upset about, i just wonder what people from other parts of the world think about this,i bet they are having a good laugh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

two retarded statelets

Why is the republic of Ireland a statelet?
    What does it have to be to be a State? Would you prefer a Monarch? Is the UK a statelet?
    Why is the Republic a "retarded" State. Do you have a supremicist ideology on the people of Ireland? Are Irish people retarded?
    Would you accept the use of the word Retarded Statelet to describe Nigeria? Would you not complain to the PC police?

( Northern Ireland isnt a State but part of one, of course)

An the anti-racist Irish - mostly anti-Irish racists.

asdasd wrote: »
    Why is the republic of Ireland a statelet?
    What does it have to be to be a State? Would you prefer a Monarch? Is the UK a statelet?
    Why is the Republic a "retarded" State. Do you have a supremicist ideology on the people of Ireland? Are Irish people retarded?
    Would you accept the use of the word Retarded Statelet to describe Nigeria? Would you not complain to the PC police?

( Northern Ireland isnt a State but part of one, of course)

Statelet = A small State. All nationalisms and sectarianisms are retarded IMO They're a symptom of Humanity being delayed in it's development. If I lived in Nigeria I'd call it much worse names tbh. I don't know what you're saying about "An the anti-racist Irish - mostly anti-Irish racists" what does that mean? I don't even believe in "races", are you saying that's racist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

All nationalisms and sectarianisms are retarded IMO They're a symptom of Humanity being delayed in it's development.

Irish Nationalism is different to most other types of European Nationalism. For example the DUP, UUP and PUP are all British Nationalist parties in the same vain as UKIP and BNP. Unlike SDLP and (to a lesser extent) Sinn Fein who are looking towards a united and inclusive Ireland.

The current gettoisation of people from around the world is a symptom of globalisation.

But this brings us into a totally different discussion.

Back to the UKBC. :)

Also the your use of the word Retarded is old fashioned you should prehaps use most appropriate words for you disaffection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

stovelid wrote: »
    This.

I doubt that most of the BBC staff give a sh*t about LondonDerry/Derry/Doire or whatever. The official name is LondonDerry (no matter how palatable or unpalatable that is) and they are the state broadcaster.

Yet again, the default Irish mode of forensically examining the most humdrum and unintentional of British utterances for traces of prejudice.

The official name is Derry for a section of people and Londonderry by another section.
    Both names are officially allowed and acceptable; it all depends on personal
    choice. To me, it is and always will be Derry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

walshb wrote: »
    The official name is Derry for a section of people and Londonderry by another section.
    Both names are officially allowed and acceptable; it all depends on personal
    choice. To me, it is and always will be Derry!

then why do RTE only refer to it as Derry?

How illiterate are these people? Really, I do mean that. I am specifically talking about the Irish state broadcasting company. Why do they keep referring to this place by only one of it's names? Are they making a political point that I am not aware of? I have never, ever, ever heard or read an RTE report that refers to this place by its correct, internationally recognised name: Londonderry.

The only satisfaction is that I can read really pompous Eire (or is it Irish?) academics, influenced by this Derry illiteracy from RTE, with the knowledge that every time they write so smugly about Derry that they are wrong, they are incompetent, they have not done their research properly, and they are unprofessional. And academics pride themselves on not being any of these.

See what I did there?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

There are no Loyalists residing in our population down here to take offence at Derry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

then why do RTE only refer to it as Derry?

How illiterate are these people? Really, I do mean that. I am specifically talking about the Irish state broadcasting company. Why do they keep referring to this place by only one of it's names? Are they making a political point that I am not aware of? I have never, ever, ever heard or read an RTE report that refers to this place by its correct, internationally recognised name: Londonderry.

The only satisfaction is that I can read really pompous Eire (or is it Irish?) academics, influenced by this Derry illiteracy from RTE, with the knowledge that every time they write so smugly about Derry that they are wrong, they are incompetent, they have not done their research properly, and they are unprofessional. And academics pride themselves on not being any of these.

See what I did there?:D

http://www.derrycity.gov.uk/

Londonderry is the offical name but most residents know it as Derry.

BBC NI and BBC UK, UTV refer to it as either Derry or Londonderry depending on their point of view.

There was a brilliant sketch done on X-it Poll (2002) on RTÉ were a newsreader from the North had a counter counting how many times they said Londonderry and Derry in the report, making sure that they were even. Colin Murphy presented the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

I think we should start referring to UK in our news as Sasanna,that would really wreak their heads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

The only people who should have the right to officially define their town by a name are the people that live there.

Some people call it Derry, others Londonderry. The local council is actually called 'Derry City Council'. We (in Ireland) call the county Derry, the GAA team is called Derry. The offical name of the county in the UK is Londonderry.

The historical reason for it being called Londonderry i think is because lots of guilds from london set up shop there during the plantations. Therfore the name, whether you like it our not, is part of the city's cultural heritage.

The people of Derry/Londonderry don't really consider this much of a problem in their everyday lives now, so why should we? Call it whatever you want. Most people up there are doing their best not to let it bother them except for the odd defaced signpost.

Im from pretty close to the border, and I use to work in a petrol station. Whenever people from the north went on holidays and came back asking for directions to 'londonderry' we would always look confused and say 'where?'. Then we would all have a laugh about it and give them the directions. It was all done in good humour but i don't think id even do that now, i couldn't be arsed. Call it whatever you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 chopley

The BBC make my blood boil

Have you tried not watching? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

I think we should start referring to UK in our news as Sasanna,that would really wreak their heads
    no one in the uk would notice as they dont look at the irish/tv /newspapers we have enough of our own news to look at than check what a foreign nation is doing or saying

Beanstalk wrote: »
    The people of Derry/Londonderry don't really consider this much of a problem in their everyday lives now, so why should we? Call it whatever you want. Most people up there are doing their best not to let it bother them except for the odd defaced signpost.

that's pretty much my point, why look for things to be offended about? Some things in lilfe are worth worrying about, others aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 chopley

Odd how when we had our Irish Republic the British refused to accept it, but now you can't stop them from accepting it. They are "Irish Republic" crazy - they love it.

How illiterate are these people? Really, I do mean that. I am specifically talking about the British Broadcasting Corporation. Why do they keep referring to this state by neither its official name nor its official description? Are they making a political point that I am not aware of? I have never, ever, ever heard or read a BBC report that refers to this state by its correct, internationally recognised name: Ireland. Indeed, they cannot seem to even manage the official description, Republic of Ireland.

Didn't you know, Rebelheart, they're doing it with the sole purpose of getting at you. They got MI5 to plant a camera and microphone inside your TV set. Every time your blood pressure drops below a certain level (they have installed sensors in your couch to measure it), an alert is sent to the bigwigs at the BBC (British Beelzebub Corporation????) who then immediately instruct all reporters and presenters (except Patrick Kielty and Graham Norton, who know nothing of all this subterfuge as they are known G2 informers) to start using the words "Irish Republic" as much as they can. If you look carefully at the presenters, Rebelheart, you'll notice they are talking to you. Yes, that's right - you!!! There's no escape. They'll do it till you've been ground right down and can't take anymore. You can then expect a visit from Mark Thompson in the middle of the night. He appears all nice and charming on TV, but he's not. He's a really nasty man and will spare no mercy. They have a special room for people like you in a bunker beneath Television Centre in London. They will let you out again if you cooperate, but only after a "realignment programme". By the time Thompson has finished with you, you'll speak the Queen's English and will refer to your own countrymen as bog-trotters. If only they'd left Lord Mountbatten alone....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Beanstalk wrote: »
    The only people who should have the right to officially define their town by a name are the people that live there.
    Didn't they pull something out of a hat a few years ago to say that becauseit was known as London-Derry by Royal Charter, only a royal charter could change it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

gurramok wrote: »
    There are no Loyalists residing in our population down here to take offence at Derry.

Oh really? I know some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

IIMII wrote: »
    Didn't they pull something out of a hat a few years ago to say that becauseit was known as London-Derry by Royal Charter, only a royal charter could change it?

Yeah i suppose what i mean is that they'd only change the name through pressure from people that actually lived there.

I think it is city status that is awarded by royal charter, not the name. The airport is called the city of Derry airport, so I guess it's fairly flexible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

It's actually not Éire. Re-read your Constitution as it is very, very clear that the official name of this state when speaking English is Ireland. Éire has no legal basis when using English. In a British request, in English, for extradition some years back the judge rejected the request on the grounds that it did not have the correct name of this state on it. It had Éire rather than Ireland.

Its things like this that really show how silly the system can be. Rather than throw the case out, maybe they should just invest in some Tipex.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭bardcom

JimiTime wrote: »
    Its things like this that really show how silly the system can be. Rather than throw the case out, maybe they should just invest in some Tipex.

This is a fundamentally important debate in an abstract sense. Names are powerful things - hence the reason why so much effort and importance is placed on names.

This is also a fundamentally important debate in a very real sense. To those that say "Who cares", I'd say you probably just don't understand why in this instance it means something. If you still don't care, you probably don't care for the subject, but it doesn't belittle the subject. And if you still don't care, maybe you don't care about names at all. In that case, you probably shout N*GG*R at the top of your voice when on holidays in Queens and argue that names don't matter and nobody should care.

Names are important. Not necessary to over-react, but we should pay attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭bardcom

JimiTime wrote: »
    The judge would have been wrong to accept it, as it would have left a legal loophole for the defendant to appeal. And as it turns out, it wasn't the first or second or even third time it had happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

bardcom wrote: »
    The judge would have been wrong to accept it, as it would have left a legal loophole for the defendant to appeal. And as it turns out, it wasn't the first or second or even third time it had happened.

I understand that it has some reason behind it. It doesn't remove the fact that its still retarded. They have 'reasonable' clauses in many sections of law. Situations like this need deperately need a 'reasonable' clause too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

LOL at this thread.
    Why use "Irish Republic" when they could use "Republic of Ireland" and at least be more correct? And indeed 'Ireland' is shorter still, and happens to be the correct official internationally recognised name of this state. But they opt for a longer version. Hmmmm.
    Heh, the "hmmmm" indicates you actually think there's something sinister in this. It's hilarious! :D
    The BBC make my blood boil with thier really condesending 'Republic of Ireland',and their 'LondonDerry' and 'the United Kingdom of England,Wales,Scotland and Northern Ireland',they still think of us as a puppet of Britain
    Do "they" (as in, the BBC)? I'm willing to bet it's all in your head.
    they wont even let us have Samantha Mumba,jesus I hate them,lol
    It's hilarious how you actually think either a broadcasting corporation or an entire country's population is determined to "keep the Irish down" and the example you give is "them taking one of our pop singers"... Grow up?
    Odd - or is it? - that they can't seem to apply the same 'adhering to the official name' logic here and use the official name of this state, Ireland.
    Wow, you really do think there's a sinister operation going on. Bless.
    b12mearse wrote: »
    There Brits- do you need an explanation?
    While that's a superbly insighful comment, could you elaborate?
    All I know is Boards is just a load of people trying to look smart
    Well you don't actually "know" it, you're just assuming it. There's a difference. ;)
    Koloman wrote: »
    I think we are well within our rights to be fussy on this issue!
    Fussy on what issue? Mother of Christ, this sh1t is actually getting embarrassing.
    Mind you if I was English, I'd want a republic instead of a monarchy
    LOADS of English people want an end put to the monarchy.
    LOL - Germany is no longer divided into two countries as you well know. Ireland is - it's not great, I'm not crazy about it either, but it's the reality.
    asdasd wrote: »
    Who the hell is "anti Irish"? Poking fun at this fanatical, paranoid sh1t is not being anti Irish.
    Eh... what? You actually think they'd notice? Or even know what the hell you're referring to? LOL

Dudess wrote: »
    LOL at this thread.

Heh, the "hmmmm" indicates you actually think there's something sinister in this. It's hilarious! :D

It's even funnier when you go and search the Beeb website for "Ireland" and "Republic of Ireland" and it comes back with articles like this :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah, the BBC is extremely PC - often going to laughable lengths not to offend people. And there is a policy of using both "Derry" and "Londonderry" in reports... but according to the chuckies here, it's only "Londonderry" that's used... well that's all in your heads guys, but it's fun to pretend the BBC is out to get us, because it's British! ;)

Who wants to bet that article will be read as mocking Ireland's economic misfortunes...?

It's even funnier when you go and search the Beeb website for "Ireland" and "Republic of Ireland" and it comes back with articles like this :D

@OP

A quick F5 shows no reference to "Irish Republic" anywhere on that report ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Dudess wrote: »
    LOADS of English people want an end put to the monarchy.
    Great - now would do wonders for the oul' Anglo-Irish relationship.

What would it be called? The Republic of England, the English Republic, The Republic of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, The Republic of Britain or the Great British Republic?

I like GBR but ER has a certain timeless feel to it.

Or if you wanted FYROM example, you could have FUK of GBNI

Great - now would do wonders for the oul' Anglo-Irish relationship.

How? :confused:

The queen's only a figurehead, Politicians in the House of commons make the decisions!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭elambra

Personally I find it condescending when I see their country profile of Ireland:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/country_profiles/1038581.stm

..the worst thing is, most people there will not realise the name 'Irish Republic' on their map is an incorrect name and that their map is just plain wrong. It should be changed to the correct name: Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Some of you I'm sure will recognise this.
    Standing on that fundamental right and again asserting it in arms in the face of the world, we hereby proclaim the Irish Republic as a Sovereign Independent State, and we pledge our lives and the lives of our comrades-in-arms to the cause of its freedom, of its welfare, and of its exaltation among the nations.

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENIE252&q=%22irish+republic%22+site%3Agov.ie&btnG=Search&meta=

Feel free to do a quick ctrl+f through some government webpages to see all the times they use the term "Irish Republic".

I guess the gov are in cahoots with the BBC and probably the Freemasons.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

elambra wrote: »
    Personally I find it condescending when I see their country profile of Ireland:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/country_profiles/1038581.stm

..the worst thing is, most people there will not realise the name 'Irish Republic' on their map is an incorrect name and that their map is just plain wrong. It should be changed to the correct name: Ireland
    What exactly is offending anyone on that page?

They even tell you what the name of the country is in the very first line:
    The Irish Republic, officially known as Ireland,...
    They then go on to say how fantastic Ireland has done within Europe, although maybe the page should now be updated a bit.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    What exactly is offending anyone on that page?

The OP and his cohorts are suggesting that the term "Irish Republic" is a slight on all the people living on this island on account of the fact that it should properly be called "The Republic of Ireland".

Failure to do so means you're either working for MI5/BBC, or are clearly a treacherous 'West Brit' and a disgrace to the memory of blessed Oliver Plunkett :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

It's actually Republic Of Ireland.And we are officially known as Eire.

To the rest of the world, you are known as the Republic Of Ireland. Because you rescued yourself from the English grasp.
    In your own tongue, you are known as Eire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 xcrieve

Reoil wrote: »
    To the rest of the world, you are known as the Republic Of Ireland. Because you rescued yourself from the English grasp.
    In your own tongue, you are known as Eire.
    Not according to the CIA, we aren't:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ei.html

Look at a proposed flag, a bit Hungarian :rolleyes:

To the rest of the world, you are known as the Republic Of Ireland.

To the rest of the world we're mostly known as 'the crazy white ones who are shafting us'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

xcrieve wrote: »

"Central Intelligence Agency" Central to who exactly? Not worth looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 xcrieve

"Central Intelligence Agency" Central to who exactly?
    A wee country called the USA
    Not worth looking at.
    And you are not worth arguing with, goodnight

Look at a proposed flag, a bit Hungarian :rolleyes:

All flags are absolutely and totally ghey.

Them on that island should just use Liz's head on the end of a pike and we should ditch our flag and use the Pope's head :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

i would consider myself Irish and republician I have to say though thank god this is in afterhours because its the daftest thread ever! I dont give a stuff what the brits call us I just care how they think of us and I will leave those words to lyod george the brit statesman

Lyod George "Negotiating with de Valera.... is like trying to pick up mercury with a fork". ( to which de Valera replied, 'Why doesn't he use a spoon?' )

• Advertisement
Advertisement