Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Irish Republic" and the BBC - What is their problem?

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Odd how when we had our Irish Republic the British refused to accept it, but now you can't stop them from accepting it. They are "Irish Republic" crazy - they love it.

How illiterate are these people? Really, I do mean that. I am specifically talking about the British Broadcasting Corporation. Why do they keep referring to this state by neither its official name nor its official description? Are they making a political point that I am not aware of? I have never, ever, ever heard or read a BBC report that refers to this state by its correct, internationally recognised name: Ireland. Indeed, they cannot seem to even manage the official description, Republic of Ireland.

The only satisfaction is that I can read really pompous English (or is it British?) academics, influenced by this "Irish Republic" illiteracy from the BBC, with the knowledge that every time they write so smugly about this "Irish Republic" that they are wrong, they are incompetent, they have not done their research properly, and they are unprofessional. And academics pride themselves on not being any of these.

I was watching the movie 'The wind that shakes the barley ' recently and the term 'Irish Republic' was used frequently and the actors saying it were playing irish citizens not british.:confused: And that movie won awards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

elambra wrote: »
    This is incorrect. The name of the state is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland, not 'Republic of Ireland'

I don't think people are understanding the issue here, The point is that the BBC mostly uses the term 'Irish Republic' instead of the correct name that is stated in article 4 of the Irish constitution - Ireland.

To Irish people, it appears that they refrain from accepting that the state that left the UK in 1921, and which developed into the state of Ireland today, has the right to call themselves by the geographical name for the whole island. I think this is exactly what IIMII is trying to explain too

And the reason why the soccer team is called RoI is explained here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland_national_football_team#History

Rarely watch the BBC anymore. Was watching 'Breakfast' this morning and they were talking about the European election results in the north. Kept calling us Paddies, Micks and Bogtrotters. Switched off after 10 minutes. Same thing happened on Newsnight. Generally safe to keep to RTE.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Ugh. 17 pages of petty nonsense about smeantics.

Does it really matter if they call us the Irish Republic, the Republic of Ireland, Ireland, Eire or Spudtopia? What difference does it make?

Some people really have nothing to worry about in their lives but this kind of stupid crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

I heard a linguistics expert be interviewed and he was asked with there being a department for pronunciation and grammar how come they get many Irish things wrong in the BBC. His answer was quite clear that the people in the department knew exactly what was right but somehow other influences were intervening. When pressed on the point he said it was a very traditional organisation with political ties beyond the realm of linguistics.

Petty to do it and petty to be bothered.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Rarely watch the BBC anymore. Was watching 'Breakfast' this morning and they were talking about the European election results in the north. Kept calling us Paddies, Micks and Bogtrotters. Switched off after 10 minutes. Same thing happened on Newsnight. Generally safe to keep to RTE.
    I seriously doubt that.

You sure they were not interviewing someone calle Paddie or Mick at the time, OK they may have had an unusual surname though. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

at my Cork boarding school in the early 80's used to cross out Eire when a girl I liked would write to me from London.....

the stamps I used then and now carried/carry the word Eire on them....

this thread reminds me of that daft fcker who ended up in the big house doing bird for other eccentric choices..

..but not for beating me up for playing the english game of soccer..

best days of your life they used to tell us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Kipperhell wrote: »
    I heard a linguistics expert be interviewed and he was asked with there being a department for pronunciation and grammar how come they get many Irish things wrong in the BBC. His answer was quite clear that the people in the department knew exactly what was right but somehow other influences were intervening. When pressed on the point he said it was a very traditional organisation with political ties beyond the realm of linguistics.

Petty to do it and petty to be bothered.

So, who was this linguistics expert, and what kind of medication was he on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Now you really shouldn't publish outright lies like that.

mike65 wrote: »
    Now you really shouldn't publish outright lies like that.

Definitely a nice touch from Norman.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭jackson2009

bbc kiss Protestant ass

• Advertisement

bbc kiss Protestant ass

Is that like "Freddie Starr ate my hamster"?

Is there a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I know whatyou mean. they also call anyone with brown skin a "Paki" and anyone from Africa a "Wog".

youwould have thought that in this day and age the BBC would be a little bit more PC:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Is that like "Freddie Starr ate my hamster"?

Is there a link?

Only in that Hamsters are protestants too.....

Some people have forgotton to switch on their sarcasm detectors this morning. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Would you call the banana republic the republic of banana? Would you call the People's republic of China the Chinese peoples republic?

You definatly wouldnt called the Jedean Peoples front, then peoples front of Judea!!!

Nodin wrote: »
    Only in that Hamsters are protestants too.....

Off course - Hamsterdam - Dutch - William of Orange - Paisley - No surrender - yep definitely protestant (I won't mention hamsters being vermin in case anyone gets upset).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Haven't read the latter pages of this thread yet, but just going back to the OP..

The Meteor website has been incorrect, on various pages, for a long time:
    ..visiting the UK or Northern Ireland..
    http://www.meteor.ie/welcome_payg/roaming/
    http://www.meteor.ie/plans/bill_pay/latest_offers/free_calls/
    http://www.meteor.ie/welcome_bp/roaming/

It can't be a mistake if it's repeated so many times. Maybe Meteor have a subliminal political agenda! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

The Hertz website is stuck in 1922, too:

Save_Save_Save.gif
    http://www.hertz.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I was on boards.us and boards.ca and there is seriously aggressive discussions going on about various countries and international media organisations using the term America instead of "The United States of America".
    The discussions on boards.us were suggesting that UK media purposely uses America instead of the United States of America, some posters stated that

"This is pure **** man, the god damed limeys are still sore about the whole independence thing, and are not showing us the respect we deserve..."

..meanwhile in Canada...

" I really cannot believe those British, Canada is part of America, but we are not Americans, those Americans think they own everything, but no, they do not own all of America, they do not own us, the BBC is doing this on purpose, just to annoy us Canadians, because we speak French, they are disrespecting our great nation "....

apparently people in central and southern America are equally annoyed with the BBC..

Also best not to even comment on what the Governments of the "Republic Of Congo" and the "Democratic Republic of Congo" said about the BBC...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

why are you all obsessed with the british and the UK ? so sad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

I honestly do not know why this thread has not been closed....A lot have been ...for less content free daftness.

Advertisement