Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Martin Jol appointed Ajax manager

• 26-05-2009 4:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

interesting move for jol

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

If the Sunderland take over came through I would've had him down as their next manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wow! Did Hamburg 'let him go' or could they not stop him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

mike65 wrote: »
    Wow! Did Hamburg 'let him go' or could they not stop him?

I'd imagine there would have been a release clause in his contract.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Hamburg to Amsterdam? He's probably just a pervert. Is White Hart Lane close to soho?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Hopefully him and Suarez will immediately argue later today and he'll come to pool on a free.
    On the other Hand Ajax are still a massive club and regardless of the shape of the Dutch league (which is better than alot give it credit for) they have to potential to be much more than they are right now - definetly should qualify for the champions league next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Oh God Quint. I don't want to imagine Martin Jol pounding some young wan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

He nearly took the Ajax job a few years back when he was at Spurs, there was serious interest from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Would love to see Marco van Basten in the PL,but who'd afford him??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

staker wrote: »
    Would love to see Marco van Basten in the PL,but who'd afford him??
    Who'd want him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Seems Jol and the Hamburg Management couldn't agree on the Transfer Plans for next season.

Martin wanted the club to spend heavily (i.e. 50 mil. +), but the Hamburg Management didn't agree with this. They are known to be quite frugal with Money and not to spend more then they have in the bank.

That frustrated Jol and he agreed on a move to Ajax, to which he almost moved twice before. Hamburg in the end agreed on a decent compensation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

CHD wrote: »
    Who'd want him!

Newcastle, oh wait.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I don't think we have an Ajax thread do we? Anyway not sure where to post this but did anyone else just witness the should-have-been-bloodbath at the ArenA this afternoon???

Ajax had 42 shots on goal to Sparta Rotterdam's 1. It was unreal, some near-total football moves from Ajax going forward but just no finish (game ended 0-0) Probably the most frustrating game I've watched in a long time and I think the most undeserved point I've ever witnessed a team get. Every goal kick to Sparta ended in another Ajax chance 30secs later. Total domination, especially in the second half.

Luis Suarez hit the woodwork numerous times, I'd love to see how many of the shots were by him. Can't help but feel sorry for the lads, this game could have been 15-0 with the amount of good chances. I'd love to see how many points the Sparta keeper would have gotten in FF!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

How is Luis Suarez still in dutch league.

IrishIrish wrote: »
    How is Luis Suarez still in dutch league.

I have no idea but happy to quietly keep him while we can! 9 goals in 3 games before today, and he could have had 8. 2 excellent free-kicks are worth watching if you see 2nd half highlights, 1 off the post, 1 off the bar. Should have had a penalty in injury time and should have scored from a corner but blocked by a defender's face on the line.

Since he's not CL tied I'd expect some bigger names to make enquiries in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

8-10 wrote: »
    I have no idea but happy to quietly keep him while we can! 9 goals in 3 games before today, and he could have had 8. 2 excellent free-kicks are worth watching if you see 2nd half highlights, 1 off the post, 1 off the bar. Should have had a penalty in injury time and should have scored from a corner but blocked by a defender's face on the line.

Since he's not CL tied I'd expect some bigger names to make enquiries in January.

Liverpool ?

Stargate wrote: »
    Liverpool ?

Would love it, though preferably not until summer because I think he's essential to our league challenge if we're gonna have one!

Rafa has mentioned wanting someone who can play deeper than Torres right? But who can also lead the line on his own. There's no doubt he has the technical skills, but after years of watching Dutch football I know it's very hard to judge the actual level of a player's abilities. Ryan Babel, Andy van der Meyde, Alfonso Alves etc etc.

Would love it, though preferably not until summer because I think he's essential to our league challenge if we're gonna have one!

Rafa has mentioned wanting someone who can play deeper than Torres right? But who can also lead the line on his own. There's no doubt he has the technical skills, but after years of watching Dutch football I know it's very hard to judge the actual level of a player's abilities. Ryan Babel, Andy van der Meyde, Alfonso Alves etc etc.

Would Ajax take Babel back with some cash for him?

Babel was very succesful there wasnt he?

I think it was the league that made him seem better, he didn't have to track back as much. Plus he was playing on the right a whole lot more whereas Rafa keeps him on the left.

I don't think he'd go back. Not for a long time anyway. If Liverpool wanted to sell there'd be better teams than Ajax in for him, I reckon a second tier Spanish club would suit him. Van der Vaart rejected the chance to go back a few weeks ago. There's just no way the move would be good for your career if you're still relatively young and with a CL side. I think it's important that Ajax qualify for the competition next year. It's hard enough when you're in a selling league, but when you've only got Europa League to offer it's harder to keep the players.

I think Babel has till the summer and if he dosent cut it Rafa will let him go , Ajax could be one club that holds an option for him should Rafa say bye bye to him.

• Advertisement

Van der Vaart rejected the chance to go back a few weeks ago. .

Theres a player i would have loved Liverpool to have bought ;)

Stargate wrote: »
    Theres a player i would have loved Liverpool to have bought ;)

Still might happen! A player I'd love to see in the PL, better Liverpool than Arsenal...rumoured both are interested.

Still might happen! A player I'd love to see in the PL, better Liverpool than Arsenal...rumoured both are interested.

One word 8-10 , Money !!

Advertisement