Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Traffic Light Grand prix

• 26-05-2009 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭

Anyone here ever engage in traffic light grand prix? You know what I mean, someone pulls up long side you at a red light with a clear road ahead and you know that when the light turns green you have to put the foot down and show them 'what for'. Anyone reading VAG drivers.net will know I was verbally challenged by a TDI variant of the audi RS4 to a drag race from the lights, all done below the speed limit of course. The same happens to me on motorways and dual carriegeways, anywhere there are opportunities to overtake safely. Loads of d**kheads always try to challenge me, or so I think. This type of stuff happen to anyone else, particularly when your perceived to be driving a performance car.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Happens quite a lot, i'd only ever do it myself if the road reduces down to one lane ahead and I feel that the other car will hold me up. TBH, I couldn't care less if someone wants to show that their car is faster than mine - as long as they're not blocking me, i'm happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

I'd say it happens to you moreso given the BEAST of a car you are driving. Somehow if you were driving a Yaris/Micra, I doubt you'd get as much offers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Yep, and it's usually the GT-TDi brigade!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Every time I go out in the Golf I'm challenged. As soon as these little boyracers see a GTI badge they want to have a go. It's down to them having small penises and they need to prove their manhood in another way

If I were into traffic-light GP, I think one of the last cars i'd pick on would be an RS4.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Biro wrote: »

In my experience it's been usually Jap cars tbh

Onkle wrote: »
    Every time I go out in the Golf I'm challenged. As soon as these little boyracers see a GTI badge they want to have a go. It's down to them having small penises and they need to prove their manhood in another way
    Sounds like nothing's changed since the Mk2, so.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Did it once in my Impreza against a Motorbike and gave him a damn good run :-)

Also showed a group of lads in a Hyundai Coupe what acceleration was when I had an A8 4.2 for a few days.

Only ever on straight, dual carriageway with good visibility of course, and only up to the speed limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭MSporty

Anan1 wrote: »
    If I were into traffic-light GP, I think one of the last cars i'd pick on would be an RS4.

You'd be surprised, its like a red rag to bull sometimes. People want to measure their cars performance against it or see if it is a real one. Never got half the hassle in the golf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

Has not happened to me in the car but on the bike it has. Been 'challenged' fairly recently by a silver porsche gt3 on the stillorgan dual carriageway. Happens quite a bit with guys in supercars that see a guy on a superbike and figure... i wonder which can accelerate quicker to 60mph.... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Leman-Russ

It's never happened me in the car but i get it all the time in the truck no one ever expects an artic can keep with them,
    but when i'm empty or bouncing i like to give them a shock:D.
    Also happens between trucks with a different limiter setting but that's life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

i only do it when it goes down to single lanes, normally im in the right and youd have some sh*tbox yaris or scummermobile in the left , dont want to be behind that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

Yep, usually guys in E36 BMWs only though... I rarely bother to take the bait for anyone else.

It gets quite boring in my car after a while though, I'm sure it's the same in an RS4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I get it from Glanza and Integra drivers mostly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Has not happened to me in the car but on the bike it has. Been 'challenged' fairly recently by a silver porsche gt3 on the stillorgan dual carriageway. Happens quite a bit with guys in supercars that see a guy on a superbike and figure... i wonder which can accelerate quicker to 60mph.... :)

Who won? what bike you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I got raced on the N11 today. I was driving quickly and accelerating hard from the lights (up to the limit, of course). There was a guy behind/in front of me who was going quick, but anytime he found himself behind me he'd be up the bus lane like a scalded cat.

Funny but annoying/dangerous. I just want to drive quickly, I don't want to race.
    Anan1 wrote: »

+1,000 :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

You're sitting in the left hand lane (straight ahead lane with clear as day arrow pointing that way) you then get the knobber pulling into the right hand, right turn only lane and then letting rip, generally they haven't a hope BUT for some strange reason over the last couple of weeks, buggers on bikes and motorbikes have pulled up and stopped at the lights right dead centre of my bonnet and proceed off at a leisurely pace. I get the rage more but when you look back at it, t'was a good thing they did.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I get it a bit from skanger mobiles.
    More often I get it from 3 series BMW and TDI Vag drivers
    They seem to see my car and say "sure that's only a tarted up wee Focus"
    And i'm "Yeah it's a 2.5 turbo running 270 Bhp - see ya L8r :p"

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

mik_da_man wrote: »
    I get it a bit from skanger mobiles.
    More often I get it from 3 series BMW and TDI Vag drivers
    They seem to see my car and say "sure that's only a tarted up wee Focus"
    And i'm "Yeah it's a 2.5 turbo running 270 Bhp - see ya L8r :p"

I find the same with tarted up focus with 270bhp when they come up against Porsche power :) Bye Bye little focus/golf/mps/opc

Fair play.
    I don't take on motors that I know are going to beat me...

Well maybe the odd time for a laugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Was in my mates car a while back, 96 1.2L corsa, and for the sh!ts and giggles he took on a new M5, you can guess how that went.

The funniest was pulling up to it and revving. Oh i've never laughed so hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

i wonder which can accelerate quicker to 60mph.... :)
    The super bike :rolleyes:

There are three speeds , Fast , Faster and O S**t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Lobster

Fair play.

Same here, unless sometimes if its the likes of a Porche or something I cannot possibly beat, just to see it go. Love it when the tdi leaves a big cloud of black smoke on whoever is stuck on your bumper at the lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭8vjohn

I'm getting bored of glanza and "starbos" drivers with their standard issue blonde up my bumper. They must feel very manly when they're left for dust

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Constantly from skanger mobiles, tatty civics, glanzas, but oddly enough from the better modified stuff I nearly never get grief. Had it this morning coming onto the motorway, queuing on the roundabout, lights are red, guy next to me looks over revs his engine (92 Civic with an exhaust - serious money obviously spent on tuning there), lights go green and off he wobbles on his little 14" alloys making lots of noise, but not really going anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Had one on the rear bumper last night, was a starlet with a Subaru Impreza front sprayed in the subaru blue etc ! I kid you not.. I could hear all this hissing and banging while he tried to undertake me, I actually thought there was something wrong with MY car his yoke was making that much noise. I pulled in and let him past ahh bless these cars get funnier every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Had one on the rear bumper last night, was a starlet with a Subaru Impreza front sprayed in the subaru blue etc ! I kid you not.. I could hear all this hissing and banging while he tried to undertake me, I actually thought there was something wrong with MY car his yoke was making that much noise. I pulled in and let him past ahh bless these cars get funnier every time.

Nice...I want one :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

Fair play.

yeah mik - you need to upgrade to 330 to take on those porsche lads ;)

The plan is in the pipeline :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Biro wrote: »

This happens to me the odd time, and its ALWAYS the diesel passats and golfs! Ever notice when you overtake them you get the black plume of smoke as they put the boot down and speed up?

I don't know, some of the VW Diesel brigade think they are driving supercars!!! They are worse than the GTi drivers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I drive and Evo

this happens ALL the time

usually from people driving civic's

I don't waste petrol on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Happened me maybe 3 times, you hear the engine next to you reving up and down. Light turns green and off he goes in a cloud of smoke. Good luck to him, petrol is expensive enough as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

Fair play.

I totally agree, my car is 11 years old but recently i've whipped some more modern and expensive machinery,i love it haha............it's always the 4 cylinder diesel drivers.

I for one miss the getaway at the M50 toll bridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

nialler wrote: »
    You're sitting in the left hand lane (straight ahead lane with clear as day arrow pointing that way) you then get the knobber pulling into the right hand, right turn only lane and then letting rip, generally they haven't a hope BUT for some strange reason over the last couple of weeks, buggers on bikes and motorbikes have pulled up and stopped at the lights right dead centre of my bonnet and proceed off at a leisurely pace. I get the rage more but when you look back at it, t'was a good thing they did.

The lads on motorbikes are probably just toying with you, most bikes have superior acceleration and top speeds over a lot high end sports cars.

I've a restricted 600 and it has around a 4 second 0-60 time possibly less(on the back wheel).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Lobster

lightening wrote: »
    This happens to me the odd time, and its ALWAYS the diesel passats and golfs! Ever notice when you overtake them you get the black plume of smoke as they put the boot down and speed up?

I don't know, some of the VW Diesel brigade think they are driving supercars!!! They are worse than the GTi drivers!

I drive a passat and have to agree with you. Definetly not a performance car. I know a guy with a golf gt tdi who actually thinks he's right up there with Porche and the likes.

• Advertisement

hobochris wrote: »
    The lads on motorbikes are probably just toying with you, most bikes have superior acceleration and top speeds over a lot high end sports cars.

I've a restricted 600 and it has around a 4 second 0-60 time possibly less(on the back wheel).

Its great fun though on sections of road with a string of shortish straights and roundabouts!! Even in a moderately powered car once the handling is good the bike has to go through the roundabout so slow where the car can tear through it leaving the bike having to bust a gut to catch up only to be defeated again by the next roundabout.

You do have to be willing to take the roundabouts hard in the car though and the whole game is ruined if you have to slow too much or stop at the roundabout to give way to cars on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

hobochris wrote: »

Its pointless trying to beat a bike off the lights if the biker wants to be in front. Problem is getting hit by the red light breakers. :(

And yeah, only thing that ever gave me trouble(slip road on to m50) was a 08 M5. That thing was quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Its great fun though on sections of road with a string of shortish straights and roundabouts!! Even in a moderately powered car once the handling is good the bike has to go through the roundabout so slow where the car can tear through it leaving the bike having to bust a gut to catch up only to be defeated again by the next roundabout.

You do have to be willing to take the roundabouts hard in the car though and the whole game is ruined if you have to slow too much or stop at the roundabout to give way to cars on it.

Most bikers don't know how to corner fast on their bike. I don't blame them, its a very tough and painful learning curve. The fact that most roundabouts are off camber and full of gravel doesn't help either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

€5k will buy you a bike that does 0-60mph in well under 3 seconds. Most modern 1000cc bikes will do it in under 4, even touring bikes. But they have less cornering speed than cars, and require a lot more balls to drive fast than a car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭MSporty

joeperry wrote: »
    I totally agree, my car is 11 years old but recently i've whipped some more modern and expensive machinery,i love it haha............it's always the 4 cylinder diesel drivers.

I for one miss the getaway at the M50 toll bridge

Ha Ha, i forgot about the Toll Bridge grand prix. The M1 toll bridge is great for this. Lined up with a Skoda VRS driver a few weeks ago, he got out half a sec before me and gave it the boot. Went past him about 5 seconds out, got a big thumbs up and beep. Not all negative

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

I had an E92 M3 Race off the lights onto the M50 a couple of weeks ago, he was pretty miffed that he didn't gain more than 20 feet on me over the 2 miles or so down the M50 (up to, well maybe slightly above the legal limit)

IMO as has been well documented, VAG TDi drivers are by far the worst offenders on the roads, at least boy racers have a bit of respect/can appreciate nice cars, TDi drivers think they can out run absolutely anything, they are prepared to push things way beyond legal and safe to prove that the 1.9TDi tractor unit is able to out run anything seemingly unaware that the other driver has simply backed off out of a respect for his own safety and that of other road users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

I seen this WRX last week.
    Tinted limo glass all round and written on the back window in bright pink "Slan Leat Mo Chara" :pac:.
    I'd say he does plenty of traffic light grand prix's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Victor_M wrote: »
    I had an E92 M3 Race off the lights onto the M50 a couple of weeks ago, he was pretty miffed that he didn't gain more than 20 feet on me over the 2 miles or so down the M50 (up to, well maybe slightly above the legal limit)

IMO as has been well documented, VAG TDi drivers are by far the worst offenders on the roads, at least boy racers have a bit of respect/can appreciate nice cars, TDi drivers think they can out run absolutely anything, they are prepared to push things way beyond legal and safe to prove that the 1.9TDi tractor unit is able to out run anything seemingly unaware that the other driver has simply backed off out of a respect for his own safety and that of other road users.

Hypocrisy is the act of being less critical of oneself than of others.

A well-known example is the smoker criticising someone else for smoking:

Father : You shouldn't smoke.
    Son : But you smoke.
    Father : Yes, but I've had a hard day at work and I need to relax.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Hypocrisy is the act of being less critical of oneself than of others.

A well-known example is the smoker criticising someone else for smoking:

Father : You shouldn't smoke.
    Son : But you smoke.
    Father : Yes, but I've had a hard day at work and I need to relax.

In fairness if I was a serial offender you would have a point, with the E92 I was drooling/curious to see what the difference over my E46 M3 was, and he bolted off the lights not me, I kinda just got carried away and followed as it was early on a sunday morning and the M50 was empty (I also got a massive lecture from the missus for the rest of the journey) I don't make a habit of racing people off the lights, unlike alot of the VAG TDi's supercar driving brigade, who try it anywhere, backroads, mainroads, motorways, country lanes, you name it, basically everywhere except on race tracks where they would be shown up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Victor_M wrote: »

Where has this been documented? I drive a TDI and can safely say that I don't think I have ever taken on a superior car at the lights.
    No matter what I drive - TDI or not, why fcuking bother? Eating tires blowing smoke and making a fool of yourself in a Diesel car? I just don't get it.
    If I wanted a performance car I would have gone down that route, but I didn't. I wanted a Diesel car. So I got one, years ago and I still drive them.
    I love to drive quickly, where I can (not always my car before the anti TDI brigade start up) but I also know the limitations of my car.
    Yes I have out accelerated cars at the lights, but only for the same reasons as above. Everyone does to some extent. I find tailgating dangerous and stupid. No matter what you drive.
    Anyway, while I have to say that I cannot speak for all TDI drivers, don't you think that you are running out of tar for your brush there?

cashmni1 wrote: »
    Where has this been documented? I drive a TDI and can safely say that I don't think I have ever taken on a superior car at the lights.
    No matter what I drive - TDI or not, why fcuking bother? Eating tires blowing smoke and making a fool of yourself in a Diesel car? I just don't get it.
    If I wanted a performance car I would have gone down that route, but I didn't. I wanted a Diesel car. So I got one, years ago and I still drive them.
    I love to drive quickly, where I can (not always my car before the anti TDI brigade start up) but I also know the limitations of my car.
    Yes I have out accelerated cars at the lights, but only for the same reasons as above. Everyone does to some extent. I find tailgating dangerous and stupid. No matter what you drive.
    Anyway, while I have to say that I cannot speak for all TDI drivers, don't you think that you are running out of tar for your brush there?
    cashmni1 wrote: »
    I drive a TDI and can safely say that I don't think I have ever taken on a superior car at the lights.

See you have it there, it's what TDi drivers percieve to be superior is the problem.
    It has been well documented on here (not sure if any official government studies have been sanctioned) that an awful lot of VAG TDi drivers think they are behind the wheel of a supercar. IMO based on my observations and experience I would suggest that the VAG GT TDi bridage are one of the worst offenders for traffic light rallying, recklessness & speeding on the roads. Obviously you are not one of these offenders but there are plenty of them out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Victor cop yourself on, anyone who has any knowledge of cars knows that diesels are absolutely useless away from the lights..

Oh an a bit of wall paper for you..

Le Mans 24hr Champions

BTCC champions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

soon we will be on to "alfas alphas are sh1te", "everyone who drives a bmw is an arse", etc,etc. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Personally I love when these types pull up beside me.....i rev the engine, in a childish manner, wait for the light to go green and then progress along at a normal, moderate, sedate pace. Gives me a chuckle, but then I am easily entertained at times.

Save it for the track folks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

I've had people challenging me a number of times at lights.

I always give them a few revs, change gear as if I am game, and then when the light changes, I pull out as normal as any responsible driver would, hoping to have the last laugh when the muppets gets pulled over by the garda. It only worked once so far, but I will keep trying.

Oh just read Soupercomputers' post - I am not the only one!! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement