Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Traffic Light Grand prix

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭MSporty

If you have a fast car, why not show GTTTTTTDIIIIIII super car drivers up for what they are, I see no harm in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I've done the traffic light GP against a GT TDI Golf once, in a (tired) Citroen AX GT. It was at the lights half way up the airport hill in Cork.

The Golf thought "I'll show that sh!tbox....". The problem was that the AX had fantastic acceleration up to 70 - 80mph, and when I dumped the clutch at 3000rpm, the front of the car disappeared in tyre smoke. There was plenty of delicate throttle then to put the power down and not spin the wheels....

I backed off at 30mph ish (I hadn't reached the 100kph zone) but the VAG driver was looking at this "sh!tbox" with smoke pouring off it's front wheels passing him...

Needless to say, the VAG continued up the hill at above the speed limit. I didn't bother, as my point was made.

I should never have gotten rid of that car, and I should haven't blown the engine. I'm amazed the drive shafts held as well....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Has not happened to me in the car but on the bike it has. Been 'challenged' fairly recently by a silver porsche gt3 on the stillorgan dual carriageway. Happens quite a bit with guys in supercars that see a guy on a superbike and figure... i wonder which can accelerate quicker to 60mph.... :)

don't mind peeps in supercars trying thier luck against the bike but never understand why some idiots think a civic or a a4 or a starlet can out accelerate a bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

MSporty wrote: »
    If you have a fast car, why not show GTTTTTTDIIIIIII super car drivers up for what they are, I see no harm in it.

I challenge you to a race, dublin to galway and back again.. thats about 400 miles I can do it on one tank and theres some hills.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Lobster wrote: »
    I drive a passat and have to agree with you. Definetly not a performance car. I know a guy with a golf gt tdi who actually thinks he's right up there with Porche and the likes.

I used meet a guy on the road on the way to work most mornings. A white 1.4 GT Sport Golf (the 80 brake one and not the GT with 170). I've only got a 1.6 but used get great pleasure in whipping him away from the lights.

The car was lowered, white GTi replica wheels, tints all around...must have spent a fortune on it. Oh and the number plate said "I'm milkin it":pac:

Looked tactastic

I challenge you to a race, dublin to galway and back again.. thats about 400 miles I can do it on one tank and theres some hills.... ;)

I think i'd be making a fuel stop or two along the way in that race, only getting 17-18 MPG !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I'd say I'd be doing a lot of waving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

Victor sounds like you can drive but the E92 driver couldn't or else you're adding a bit of drama in :D

An E92 weighs less, handles better and if he had the M button on has brutally raw acceleration, with weight considered it's probably safe to say it also has another 100bhp!

I know we're not talking normal cars when I say this but there's very few bikes on Irish roads that would take one or an RS4 to 60 either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

MarkN wrote: »

I know we're not talking normal cars when I say this but there's very few bikes on Irish roads that would take one or an RS4 to 60 either.

The hayabusa or fzr1400(which are relatively common sports bikes) will do 120mph in just under 8 seconds or 0-100mph in under 6. From what I'm seeing on the net the rs4 will do 0-100mph in just under 11. And those bikes are pretty common compared to the likes of the rs4.

In fact most sports bikes over 1000cc will do a sub 6 second 0-100mph, the ones above are just able to keep the acceleration well beyond that.

Edit, curious as I was I decided to check my own tame commuter 650cc bike. Turns out it has performance figures on par with a rs4 in a straight line. Not bad for a 3k bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Tigger wrote: »
    don't mind peeps in supercars trying thier luck against the bike but never understand why some idiots think a civic or a a4 or a starlet can out accelerate a bike

...but can keep up

...but can keep up

I'd like to see them take a corner in that thing.

Victor sounds like you can drive but the E92 driver couldn't or else you're adding a bit of drama in :D

An E92 weighs less, handles better and if he had the M button on has brutally raw acceleration, with weight considered it's probably safe to say it also has another 100bhp!

sorry but how fast does it accelerate??

theres loads of these its a 1992 vfr400 yours for a grand

Performance
    Top speed: 130 mph (208 km/h)
    Acceleration: 0–62 mph (100 km/h): 4 s
    Braking: 62–0 mph (100 km/h): 3 s

Acceleration + Braking - 0–100–0 mph 22.1 s

if you want something fast in 1987 the gsxr1100 was released it'll do the 0-100kmph in less than 3secs i'd say you could get a good one on the road for €1500

recently bikes have got quicker but to get sub 2.5 seconds 0-100 youd need to spend at least 5k

The hayabusa or fzr1400(which are relatively common sports bikes) will do 120mph in just under 8 seconds or 0-100mph in under 6. From what I'm seeing on the net the rs4 will do 0-100mph in just under 11. And those bikes are pretty common compared to the likes of the rs4.

In fact most sports bikes over 1000cc will do a sub 6 second 0-100mph, the ones above are just able to keep the acceleration well beyond that.

Edit, curious as I was I decided to check my own tame commuter 650cc bike. Turns out it has performance figures on par with a rs4 in a straight line. Not bad for a 3k bike.

I'd rather be in a nice comfy car all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

I was surprised too, I seriously doubt it was my driving, I just caned it through all the gears, as did he, on paper there isn't a huge amount on the 0-60 time in the difference, so a bit more aggression on my part and a bit less on his would be enough to see the performance differences be negated.

I'd like to see them take a corner in that thing.

this is 100% dependent upon the layout of the course.

The bottom line is that motorcycles have 2 tires and cars have 4. More tire surface area, combined with a wider stance means cars can brake and corner substantially harder than bikes.

Motorcycles have a huge weight advantage though, so a 200hp race bike is only accelerating 500 lbs of bike + rider.

even light cars are pushing 2,000 lbs with a rider, so they need 800hp to have the same power to weight ratio and accelerate as quickly.

While bikes may accelerate harder than cars, a car will usually (eventually) hit a higher top-speed. Aerodynamics are MUCH easier to manage on a car than a bike.

So to restate my first sentence, it depends on the track. If the straights are the proper length for the bike to exploit its acceleration advantage, and the turns aren't super tight, allowing the car to catch up, the bike will win.

if it's a more 'flowing' layout with constant wide curves and shorter straights, the car will win.

• Advertisement

an sv650?

and once some corners are thrown into the mix, unless its a sucidial pro on the bike, the bike would be playing catch up very fast.

edit: I'm talking about on the road not a track btw

Which is why I'm looking at dropping 20k on a decent car at the end of the year. You won't see a good biker flooring his bike at lights because of red light breakers and manhole covers everywhere.

an sv650?

er-6n

and once some corners are thrown into the mix, unless its a sucidial pro on the bike, the bike would be playing catch up very fast.

I actually did some advanced driving lessons on my bike. I take corners very well but have had to overtake some serious money cars who braked at every little twist in the road over the last month. Its all about the driver I suppose.

But since this thread is about burning off at the lights, bikes will win 90% of the time. Of course its easy for us as we are always at the top of the queue anyway so we get lots of practise. :)

• Advertisement

this is 100% dependent upon the layout of the course.

The bottom line is that motorcycles have 2 tires and cars have 4. More tire surface area, combined with a wider stance means cars can brake and corner substantially harder than bikes.
    hat yer talking out yer hat

Motorcycles have a huge weight advantage though, so a 200hp race bike is only accelerating 500 lbs of bike + rider.
    a 150 bhp bike at rear wheel weighs 170kg a rider 80 so 150 bhp for 250kg

even light cars are pushing 2,000 lbs with a rider, so they need 800hp to have the same power to weight ratio and accelerate as quickly.
    nope its all about torque but the power to weight of a fella on a bike is .6bhp per kg or 600 per ton

While bikes may accelerate harder than cars, a car will usually (eventually) hit a higher top-speed. Aerodynamics are MUCH easier to manage on a car than a bike.
    nope

So to restate my first sentence, it depends on the track. If the straights are the proper length for the bike to exploit its acceleration advantage, and the turns aren't super tight, allowing the car to catch up, the bike will win.

if it's a more 'flowing' layout with constant wide curves and shorter straights, the car will win.

name a track where the bsb bikes (road legal with homogolation rules) are beaten by a touring car

this simply isn't true

bikes have a very short wheelbase but they lean this is their secret

this simply isn't true

Ok as Cuddlesworth said the driver makes a big difference, but in the real world even a very good biker would be taking risks throwing a bike into tight corners wich could have gravel, bumps be off camber etc. On a fairly tight road the car(say an E92 M3), being driven by a decent driver not a hopeless driver but not the stig either would come out on top imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Think again:

Victor_M wrote: »
    I had an E92 M3 Race off the lights onto the M50 a couple of weeks ago, he was pretty miffed that he didn't gain more than 20 feet on me over the 2 miles or so down the M50 (up to, well maybe slightly above the legal limit)

The E93 is definitely quicker than the E46 M3, so maybe the other driver wasn't too bothered about racing you.

The E93 was something like 17 seconds faster round the Nurburgring than the E46 M3. That's an enternity on a track.

Oh really..........

hat yer talking out yer hat
    How?
    a 150 bhp bike at rear wheel weighs 170kg a rider 80 so 150 bhp for 250kg

Yamaha YZF-R1 : Dry Weight 419 lb (190 kg)
    Wet Weight 448 lb (203 kg)
    nope
    A car doesn't change shape while it moves, a rider on a bike will move on the seat though and create more/less drag. A car wont.

name a track where the bsb bikes (road legal with homogolation rules) are beaten by a touring car
    Porsche Carerra 4s V 2003 Yamaha YZF R6
    http://blog.racedv.com/2007/11/car-vs-bike.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭tommmy1979

ianobrien wrote: »
    I've done the traffic light GP against a GT TDI Golf once, in a (tired) Citroen AX GT. It was at the lights half way up the airport hill in Cork.

That's one of the best most common places for the old traffic light gp to happen..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

there`s not many cars that can beat a bike 0-60mph (traffic light grand prix style)

for example my brothers bike a honda cbr600rr from scouring google the 0-60mph time is between 3.2 and 3.4 seconds

heres the cars quicker or matching it,not sure how accurate it is:confused:

Ultima GTR7202.6sBugatti Veyron2.7sTVR Cerbera Speed 122.8sAscari A102.8sSSC Ultimate Aero TT2.8sKoenigsegg CCXR Special Edition2.9sCaterham 7 Superlight R5002.9sPorsche 9FF GT9R2.9sCaterham Levante2.9sCaparo T12.9sPorsche 9FF GT93.0sWestfield Sport 2000S3.2sKoenigsegg CCX3.2sLamborghini Gallardo LP560-43.2sMcLaren F13.2sSaleen S73.3sAriel Atom 300 Supercharged3.3sChevrolet Corvette ZR13.4s

not many of these cost just under 10k:) (from torque stats.com)

on a bendy road im sure half these cars would beat the bike easy,so if your only interested in traffic light grand prix`s buy a bike,if your interested in staying dry buy a car:)

Some nice little motors there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I've been beaten by some young fella in a Civic whilst in a Rane Rover. The only reason he thought I wanted a race was I left my foot slip a bit on the brake and the jeep moved forward a tiny bit. So very embarrassing:o

Anywho, the sister has a Hayabusa. No car on Irish roads would beat that yoke. The power is phenomenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Somebody think of the children (that should cover the pc nutters)

I had an audi TT have a go once on an m50 slip road north leaving dundrum. He was a little upset two. (pre roadworks)

Anyone else i usually just slow down till they bugger off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Somebody think of the children (that should cover the pc nutters)

I had an audi TT have a go once on an m50 slip road north leaving dundrum. He was a little upset two. (pre roadworks)

Anyone else i usually just slow down till they bugger off.

What do you drive? And how can you be 100% sure the other driver was trying hard? this is not just aimed at you Jimmy but everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Has not happened to me in the car but on the bike it has. Been 'challenged' fairly recently by a silver porsche gt3 on the stillorgan dual carriageway. Happens quite a bit with guys in supercars that see a guy on a superbike and figure... i wonder which can accelerate quicker to 60mph.... :)
    Its great having a superbike. I be laughing at some of the boy racers actually thinking they stand a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

Straight line speed is one big yawn as far as i'm concerned, much prefer tight handling like in my E30 318is which isn't that fast really. It does tend to attract unwanted attention at traffic lights like a Mk4 GTi recently which tried to race me from the green light but stalled the engine :p:P:rolleyes:. I lol'd to myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

bladebrew wrote: »
    there`s not many cars that can beat a bike 0-60mph (traffic light grand prix style)

for example my brothers bike a honda cbr600rr from scouring google the 0-60mph time is between 3.2 and 3.4 seconds

heres the cars quicker or matching it,not sure how accurate it is:confused:

Ultima GTR7202.6sBugatti Veyron2.7sTVR Cerbera Speed 122.8sAscari A102.8sSSC Ultimate Aero TT2.8sKoenigsegg CCXR Special Edition2.9sCaterham 7 Superlight R5002.9sPorsche 9FF GT9R2.9sCaterham Levante2.9sCaparo T12.9sPorsche 9FF GT93.0sWestfield Sport 2000S3.2sKoenigsegg CCX3.2sLamborghini Gallardo LP560-43.2sMcLaren F13.2sSaleen S73.3sAriel Atom 300 Supercharged3.3sChevrolet Corvette ZR13.4s

not many of these cost just under 10k:) (from torque stats.com)

on a bendy road im sure half these cars would beat the bike easy,so if your only interested in traffic light grand prix`s buy a bike,if your interested in staying dry buy a car:)

For a start racing ANYTHING on a bendy road is crazy. Saw a 2005 BMW K1200R for 5k on ebay a few months ago, 0-60 just happens to be the same as the Ultima GTR720! And I guarentee any owners of the above cars don't take them out in the rain, so staying dry doesn't matter! The big difference is that 99.99% of people will never own one of those cars, while you can get a bike that will out accelerate almost anything for about 3-4k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I get this a lot when I'm in the STi. I rarely bother rising to it, though. I know how fast the car is.

However, I do love winding people up at the lights at the Goat pub there. If you come up Foster's Ave from the N11, there's a right-turn lane and a straight-on lane. I do take a rather perverse pleasure in cruising to the top of the right-turn lane and giving the car a few good revs. Cue look of panic and outrage on the person to your left's face as they think you're going to try and jump in in front of them. Lights go green and I potter off down the right turn, laughing all the while...

Im off to donegal for the weekend. Always meet a few road racers on the way to there especially of the TDi variety. At least when im going through the north I can let loose the fury. Just like they do on our roads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Im off to donegal for the weekend. Always meet a few road racers on the way to there especially of the TDi variety. At least when im going through the north I can let loose the fury. Just like they do on our roads!

Enjoy the weekend in the Donegal.
    BTW, why are you travelling in the North when you are going to Donegal?

Anyway, can you count all the TDi drivers that want to race you while you are "in the North" or while you are in Donegal and let us know after the weekend. It might make for some interesting statistics.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

cashmni1 wrote: »
    Enjoy the weekend in the Donegal.
    BTW, why are you travelling in the North when you are going to Donegal?

Anyway, can you count all the TDi drivers that want to race you while you are "in the North" or while you are in Donegal and let us know after the weekend. It might make for some interesting statistics.
    Cheers.

Have a look at a map. 80-90% of donegal is better / quicker accessed from Dublin area via N2 which turns into the A5 when going through the north. Takes you through omagh and onto letterkenny / derry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

...I can let loose the fury...

Those six words have made me very jealous of you right now, Mr. MSporty... :D:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

Sorry .. yeh at the time, i had been given a loan of a ducati 1198 with full termi system. I actually own r1 with full race sys. Pretty much waved bye bye to the porsche up to the lights (at legal speeds... thankfully i dont and have no intention of acquiring points :) ). At the next set of lights.. your man took off like a scaled cat.... but i just waited till he had started moving and took of nice and easy. Point already proved.
    Most 1 liter superbikes are designed to hit 0-60 in around 2.5 seconds... depending on keeping the front down. As for corner speed.. I think you would be surprised what a modern bike on modern tyres will do in the corners (of course entirely dependant on the weather ;)). I have a pal who does a not to shabby 1.55 on a ducati 749r in mondello. BSB will do 1.40 times when racing in mondello as well. The bike is more than capable of hitting that corner fast... its the rider ;)
    I saw a UK reg Skyline (new model) and a boy racer supra with scanger induction kit mods etc... do traffic light grand prix on the N11 at the same lights conincidentally as i had had previously. Hillarious. The skyline destroyed him.

-Chris- wrote: »
    Those six words have made me very jealous of you right now, Mr. MSporty... :D:cool:

+1

*sighs*

Yeah ive tried all the different routes and found that one to be best, i go that way and then go through the pettigo mountains to Laghy and then onto Donegal Town. There big into their cars up their especially around the town. Lads spinning round the diamond there all nights of the weekend in TDis and Corolla vans!!

To Limerick Man and Chris-The climbing lanes and straight roads are great for making progress up there

How?

Yamaha YZF-R1 : Dry Weight 419 lb (190 kg)
    Wet Weight 448 lb (203 kg)

A car doesn't change shape while it moves, a rider on a bike will move on the seat though and create more/less drag. A car wont.

Porsche Carerra 4s V 2003 Yamaha YZF R6
    http://blog.racedv.com/2007/11/car-vs-bike.html

bsb is 1000cc not 600cc

Challenged by a GTI in the motorway grand prix this evening, needless to say I won!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

Challenged by a GTI in the motorway grand prix this evening, needless to say I won!! :D

What are you driving that seems to be able to outrun almost everything!?!

• Advertisement

farva wrote: »

It's in his sig;)

Well its not that I can outrun anything, its just that others try to outrun me when they see me for some reason!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

God I love this car, so angry looking!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055352682&highlight=RS4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I've never ever been challenged before strangely enough.

Well, not from the get go anyway, I usually overtake someone and they try and come back.
    Usually Glanzas and Civics(and I hate to stereotype)
    Ah well..some hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Got a challange the other day, i was on my push bike though.
    Some guy in a 89 civic rolled up beside me, started revving, i laughed and knodded at him.
    When the lights went green i cycles off ahead of him, he missed a gear, then stalled and i reckon at that stage he just gave up.

It was so great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement