Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Debadging - why?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Photojoe

I'd always do it. I find it a bit stupid having the engine or spec type spelled out on the car. Why do it? Its like having s shirt with a bit M or L on the outside.

Even more laughable are the cars that list things like ABS or some other mundane piece of spec on the outside. Who gives a **** what the car has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I never got around to doing it myself - just got the garage to do it while the car was in for something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

colm_mcm wrote: »
    do tell more! My car has quads and has no badges, but I don't go on about it!

Check out the thread mentioned in previous post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Fizman wrote: »
    Question to those who have debadged!!!

Did you debadge them yourself (i.e by just clipping it off etc) or did you get someone to do it for you?

Haven't done it yet, but hairdryer, dental floss and some sort of solvent remover normally does the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

eoin wrote: »
    Haven't done it yet, but hairdryer, dental floss and some sort of solvent remover normally does the trick.

Hairdryer, tesco clubcard and bug & tar remover. 5 minute job. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

tar remover - that's what I was thinking of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

thegen wrote: »
    Check out the thread mentioned in previous post
    You mentioned people saying it was OK to put quad pipes on your car but you didn't say which Thread it was in, most of the people adding to this thread are regular heads and I've never seen any of them mentioning that quad exhausts were ok!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭dazzerb

So one other question - do you just debadge the engine size and all the other stuff from the rear eg GT/GTI//RS/etc/4Motion/4Matic/x4/V6/V8/16V/etc....... or do any of you you also take off the car's logo from from of the car to even disguise its make?

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    You mentioned people saying it was OK to put quad pipes on your car but you didn't say which Thread it was in, most of the people adding to this thread are regular heads and I've never seen any of them mentioning that quad exhausts were ok!!

Grahamo, sorry link below.

Post 6 and 10 in thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055574474

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

thegen wrote: »
    Grahamo, sorry link below.

Post 6 and 10 in thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055574474
    I see where you're comin from alright, I personally wouldn't do it but sticking M5 badges and quat exhausts on a 5 series is different than putting quad exhausts on a debadged S Class.

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    I see where you're comin from alright, I personally wouldn't do it but sticking M5 badges and quat exhausts on a 5 series is different than putting quad exhausts on a debadged S Class.

Point taken. I still think it is an attempt to look like something it is clearly not.
    Anyway its all about our own opinion's otherwise it would be a dull oul world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

ned78 wrote: »
    I know a family who had a 520d with a 54o badge even though you could still see the dull oval single tailpipe

Depends, the e39 540i never had a dual pipe, only single.
    Maybe are talking about the new 540i..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

*shakes head slowly*

DieselM3-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

*shakes head slowly*

DieselM3-1.jpg

So what is it, a M3 or a 320d?

Kidding...

This is very sad alright
    At least he left the 320d badge lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Photojoe

I love the wacky font on the plate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

R.O.R wrote: »
    But regardless of what software the ECU is running it doesn't change the fact it's a Turbo Diesel Injection with a displacement of 1896cc - 1.9TDi

TDi = Turbo Direct Injection :rolleyes::rolleyes::D
    Berty wrote: »
    The compression ratio of the engine is changed by the change through the ECU causing the engine to run differently, i.e not like a 1.9TDi should.

Compression ratio is a physical property, you'd have to change the bore or stroke to affect your compression ratio.

Sorry Berty, you still drive a 1.9TDi :o

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

I like that M3 320d :D

Some BMWs have the 'M' badge [not M3] if they have the M-Tech kit, this was standard and should not be be confused with someone buying a badge of eBay and sticking it on.

Likewise I believe some BMWs left the factory already de-badged, or just un-badged I suppose. Generally coupes, probably to create a smooth line appearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

HJL wrote: »
    Likewise I believe some BMWs left the factory already de-badged, or just un-badged I suppose. Generally coupes, probably to create a smooth line appearance.
    more likely an embarrassed 318ci owner!

Mini's ...and im sure other cars too, can be ordered debadged. Its a €0 extra :D. Bloody need to be too!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Debadging is for people who bought a poverty spec 3 series instead of mondeo - they couldn't afford the extras that would make it a worthwhile car but wanted people to think they drove a prestige motor - so they removed the badges - thinking no one would notice the ****ty plastic bumpers and side skirts...

Low spec BMWs piss me off more than Ladas

dont all cars have plastic bumpers and side skirts?????:rolleyes:
    But its still a Corsa!

i really dont think you belong in the motors forum tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

kceire wrote: »
    dont all cars have plastic bumpers and side skirts?????:rolleyes:

Amazingly ....no...

http://www.runnerduck.com/cars/images/chrome_bumper.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

oleras wrote: »

LOL my eyes, my poor eyes....:mad:
    but the majority of the bumper, ie the panel lines that split the headlights and below is plastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

dazzerb wrote: »
    So one other question - do you just debadge the engine size and all the other stuff from the rear eg GT/GTI//RS/etc/4Motion/4Matic/x4/V6/V8/16V/etc....... or do any of you you also take off the car's logo from from of the car to even disguise its make?

I debadged the Golf off mine. It's not like I'm disuising the make, because every Joe and his neighbour will know what it is.

IMG_3266.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

dazzerb wrote: »
    Why do people debadge cars?

Answer:
    to disguise that they have a cheaply specified car or because they have a fast expensive model that they do not want stolen?

....something to do with modesty, aesthetics, embarrassment, .....?

All good reasons for people i'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

I debadged the Golf off mine. It's not like I'm disuising the make, because every Joe and his neighbour will know what it is.

IMG_3266.jpg

Would you ever think of painting the rubbing strips silver, LM?
    I did it on my Golf and it made a massive difference, especially with the GTi spoiler. I had the GTi wheels too.
    The Gimp I sold it to decided it would be a good idea to put a GTi badge on it afterwards. I was disgusted!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Would you ever think of painting the rubbing strips silver, LM?
    I did it on my Golf and it made a massive difference, especially with the GTi spoiler. I had the GTi wheels too.
    The Gimp I sold it to decided it would be a good idea to put a GTi badge on it afterwards. I was disgusted!!!!!!!!!!!

Nah I love the black rubstrips. The look I'm going for. It brings a contrast and a break between the paint, IMO the completely silver Golf (4door) looks a bit OTT.

The black looks very nice all shined up :D

DSC00119cope.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

no arguement there, looks well.
    I had a photo of my one on my old phone but it broke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

-Chris- wrote: »
    Compression ratio is a physical property, you'd have to change the bore or stroke to affect your compression ratio.

Thanks Chris.
    I couldn't let that one go. I'm amazed it took two more pages before someone jumped on it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Berty wrote: »
    The compression ratio of the engine is changed by the change through the ECU causing the engine to run differently, i.e not like a 1.9TDi should.

Wha ?!!!!:confused: You must have the only adjustable compression engine in the world. :P ....but seriously , a remap does not change the compression ratio of your engine, nor does it change the displacement ,nor does it change the fact that its a "TDI" . Infact even though on paper you might have a power improvment, depending on the quality of the software involved, that power might be arriving at the wrong time thus destroying the engines natural torque curve. If you ever tuned an old 2 stroke petol engine you'd have a better grasp of power increase , displacement and torque curves. To gain extra BHP its usually at the expence of low down torque (i.e porting the inlet ports ). To gain extra torque you'd have to increase the dispalcement with a larger bore or stroke. ( for more torque a longer stroke is better) . You might have more power on paper but be sure unless you've made tandem improvements to your engine to run along side the remap then chances are you've actually lost torque or low down bhp in your engine...oh and its still a 1.9 TDI.........phew:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Berty wrote:
    Do you perhaps mean the fuel/air mix ratio?

Also consider this, if you're playing a game on a playstation and you take the disc out and put a music cd in instead, does the playstation then become a Sony Music System, or is it still just a playstation that happens to be playing a music cd?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Alright lads, I think Berty gets the point...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

If you have a 316i its because you dont want anyone to know how slow your car is. All show, no go etc.

If you have a debadged S65 AMG its because you're just a little bit above that kind of showboating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

samsemtex wrote: »
    If you have a 316i its because you dont want anyone to know how slow your car is. All show, no go etc.

If you have a debadged S65 AMG its because you're just a little bit above that kind of showboating.
    I think there may be a bit of transference at work here - badge delete is a no-cost option on German cars, I can think of no reason not to specify it on any new car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Mine was debadged from the factory 9 years ago, I have it on the specs sheets. I mulled over this for a year, do I like it or do I not? So I rebadged it a few weeks ago, I feel it gives the car an identity as it were.

The main reason I rebadged was because of the amount of people who had no clue what car it was, let alone what engine etc. I'm not normally influenced by what other people think or dont think, but I thought I might aswell give the badging a go for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Well, I take the price tags off everything else I buy. Why should cars be any different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Well, I take the price tags off everything else I buy. Why should cars be any different?

So do you also take the Tommy logo off your shirts?

I cant see the problem with badges being taken off a car, it's the putting them on cars that are not the same is a bit sad (all the RS4 TDi drivers:D).

I was getting my car serviced lately and the dealer had a new 1.4 TSi Leon in the showroom with the BTCC kit and a Cupra badge on the back. Was just sad to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

I've just realised that the Mazda 6 badge on the back of my car is on the right side of the boot and not the left like on every other Mazda 6 I've seen. No idea why though. Might have been debadged and rebadged by the previous owner. That just doesn't seem worthwhile to me though. I might debadge it altogether sometime. Almost all Mazda 6's in Ireland are 1.8 petrol and none say what spec or engine size they are so the only reason to debadge is to look a bit tidier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

I've just realised that the Mazda 6 badge on the back of my car is on the right side of the boot and not the left like on every other Mazda 6 I've seen. No idea why though. Might have been debadged and rebadged by the previous owner. That just doesn't seem worthwhile to me though. I might debadge it altogether sometime. Almost all Mazda 6's in Ireland are 1.8 petrol and none say what spec or engine size they are so the only reason to debadge is to look a bit tidier.

Or it got a smack and was repaired by a twonk who stuck the badge on the wrong side :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Possibly because it was crashed by the last owner - its one of the things to look out for when buying second hand - allot of re-sprayers don't pay attention to where they put the badge back on...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Fizman wrote: »
    Question to those who have debadged!!!

Did you debadge them yourself (i.e by just clipping it off etc) or did you get someone to do it for you?

debadging the spec is pulling off the badges on a warm day and polishing off the sticky anyone can do it in 5 mins

i fully debadged my car, needed a new grill and a spray and fill of the rear badge

its still what it is but no badges i like the look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Or it got a smack and was repaired by a twonk who stuck the badge on the wrong side :eek:
    Possibly because it was crashed by the last owner - its one of the things to look out for when buying second hand - allot of re-sprayers don't pay attention to where they put the badge back on...

I never thought of that but it makes perfect sense. Something to watch out for in the future but it doesn't really matter to me now, if that is what happened at least they did a good job on everything but the badge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

There's a guy driving around Tullow in an "RS4" who actually went to the bother of sticking fake exhausts to the car. Gives me a giggle every time when I see him driving around with 3 sparkling clean exhausts and one sooty one. I'd love to know who he think's he's kidding. Anyone who actually knows or cares about cars will obviously know it's not an RS4.

Honey-ec wrote: »
    There's a guy driving around Tullow in an "RS4" who actually went to the bother of sticking fake exhausts to the car. Gives me a giggle every time when I see him driving around with 3 sparkling clean exhausts and one sooty one. I'd love to know who he think's he's kidding. Anyone who actually knows or cares about cars will obviously know it's not an RS4.

This is exactly what makes it so stupid. 95% of people simply won't notice and the 5% that have an interest in cars will instantly know he is a muppett

Advertisement