Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Red Mite

• 26-05-2009 4:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭

Having been Inspired by some recent macro shots, thought I would put up one. This is one of those tiny red mites.

Redmite.jpg

RedMitehairs.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I never wanted to see them that big thanks for posting :p

squish them quick before they suck the blood outta ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

That's cool.

What lens are you using?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Thanks.

Shot on 35mm using an Olympus Zuiko 80mm f4 macro lens on a 65-116mm variable extension tube. Hand held and without a flash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I assume that's why it looks a bit tilt-shifty...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

trishw78 wrote: »

That would be the narrow DOF which is more pronunced in macro shots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

They are some great shots. Good job

trishw78 wrote: »

As Oshead said, it's the depth of field being so narrow, combined with the surface the mite was on being, at an angle to the point of view, so you get a rather extreme ramping into and out of focus.

If you think how small a mite is, the depth of field doesn't even extend from it's back leg to it's front, so it's probably less than 1mm.

Thanks for all the kind comments.

I should have mentioned the second image is just a crop and enlargement of the first so you could see it's hairy legs. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭ozzirt

You embarrass me :o.

That is exceptional in my book. I'd love to be half as good.

Great work!

Here's a couple of shots I took last summer of mites. The first is a Red Mite. Same species as the one posted above. The second is a Predatory Running Mite. Both shots taking with the MP-E 65mm @ 5:1 magnification. Neither image is cropped.

B0E052CECB404FE98047861E074F0248-800.jpg

F81E22C4ABAA437088F8B93092C53F83-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

They're brilliant oshead.

• Advertisement

Wonderful shots. Just looked up that lens and it is really something. The most magnification I can do with my 80/4 macro is about 2:1

cnocbui wrote: »
    Wonderful shots. Just looked up that lens and it is really something. The most magnification I can do with my 80/4 macro is about 2:1

Thanks cnocbui. These are actually the first images I took with this lense. Straight in at the deep end with full magnification. :pac:

I tried reversing lenses, closeup filters and tubes but the quality was never what I wanted till I got the MP-E 65mm. Worth every penny IMO.

Dave OS

Advertisement