Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Metro broadband in Charlesland / Greystones

Options
  • 26-05-2009 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Has anyone had Digiweb Metro installed as their broadband of choice in the Charlesland area? If so, any comments on speed, contention, or any issues of note in this area?

I'm thinking of ditching eircom ADSL for Metro, just to get the 12Mb product. eircom max speed here seems to be 4Mb.

Thanks. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 postmanpat69

I have Digiweb's Metro installed at the moment, very good service, no problems so far. I've ran speed tests on a few occasions and always get what I pay for. I have'nt shopped around recently but they were very competitively prices when I got it in last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭eko

I have Digiweb's Metro installed at the moment, very good service, no problems so far. I've ran speed tests on a few occasions and always get what I pay for. I have'nt shopped around recently but they were very competitively prices when I got it in last year.

Thanks, sounds good. Are you on the 12Mb product? Also, do adverse weather conditions cause any downtime of the connection?

Thanks for your help! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Feasog Dearg

Hi,

Not exactly the answer you're after I guess, but my two cents! I had eircom broadband, until yesterday, at 7MB. It isn't a great service, seems to get loaded in the evening when everyone logs on after work and the speed was never truly up there, it hovered around 5MB. There was a free upgrade a while back to 7MB- maybephone them and ask them about it?

FYI I switched today to UPC 10MB, so far so good. Lowest speed test so far has been 9MB, which isn't too bad. You might not be aware that UPC now offer broadband and phone services to Charlesland...

I had Digiweb in my last house and it was only effected by thunderstorms and sometimes by heavy rainfall. Besides that it was an excellent, trouble free service!

I'd recommend to choose between UPC and Digiweb. The main selling point for me was NOT having an antenna on the roof and wires coming down the outside of the house.

Have you looked at any of eircom's fixed line competitors?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Hi,

I had eircom broadband, until yesterday, at 7MB. It isn't a great service, seems to get loaded in the evening when everyone logs on after work and the speed was never truly up there, it hovered around 5MB. There was a free upgrade a while back to 7MB- maybephone them and ask them about it?

I asked to upgrade to a bundle with 7MB, and I was told if you subscribe to 7MB in Charlesland the best you'll get is 5MB. I went ahead with it because the bundle was still cheaper than my old 3MB+phone package. Sure enough, I get about 4.7MB on speed tests. Not really impressed.

FYI I switched today to UPC 10MB, so far so good. Lowest speed test so far has been 9MB, which isn't too bad. You might not be aware that UPC now offer broadband and phone services to Charlesland...

Thanks for the tip, will give them a call. I'm actually in Eden Gate, and I think their service is limited to Charlesland, but will buzz them nonetheless to find out.
    I had Digiweb in my last house and it was only effected by thunderstorms and sometimes by heavy rainfall. Besides that it was an excellent, trouble free service!

I'd recommend to choose between UPC and Digiweb. The main selling point for me was NOT having an antenna on the roof and wires coming down the outside of the house.

Have you looked at any of eircom's fixed line competitors?

Good information, thanks. I'd rely on an internet connection quite a bit, so maybe I'll also keep a (lower bandwidth) ADSL connection with eircom as a backup if I went with Metro. I think I have to keep my phoneline anyway, as it's used for both Sky and the house alarm.

I checked with BT, but they offered the same as eircom gives me now (4Mb). Magnet offered the same but with unlimited upload/download traffic (I assume it's based on fair use).

• Advertisement

I asked to upgrade to a bundle with 7MB, and I was told if you subscribe to 7MB in Charlesland the best you'll get is 5MB. I went ahead with it because the bundle was still cheaper than my old 3MB+phone package. Sure enough, I get about 4.7MB on speed tests. Not really impressed.

Same for me; asked for 7Mb, but they said the line only supported 4Mb. It works fine, but just wishing for something a little more speedy. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

eko wrote: »
    Same for me; asked for 7Mb, but they said the line only supported 4Mb. It works fine, but just wishing for something a little more speedy. :o

Ha. So the extra distance from Charlesland to Eden Gate accounts for another 1MB off the top. Makes sense - I know someone in Glen of the Downs on the other side of the N11 who can only get something like 0.5MB.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 serek

Both Charlesland and Eden Gate are very close to Digiweb's base station (the east coast mast between Bray and Greystones. Weather would not affect the connectivity on that distance unless thunder hits the mast and takes the base station down. It however never happened before. I'm off the same mast in Enniskerry and I'm happy with it. Speeds are as said on the papers.

Regards,
    serek

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

eko wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip, will give them a call. I'm actually in Eden Gate, and I think their service is limited to Charlesland, but will buzz them nonetheless to find out.

I'm afraid you wont get UPC BB in Eden Gate. I know Broadworks offer BB might be worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

I got an offer from BT for 24mb at only 8 euro a month for 6 months then another 8 euro after that. Thinking of dumping my 3mb eircom.

• Advertisement

serek wrote: »
    Both Charlesland and Eden Gate are very close to Digiweb's base station (the east coast mast between Bray and Greystones. Weather would not affect the connectivity on that distance unless thunder hits the mast and takes the base station down. It however never happened before. I'm off the same mast in Enniskerry and I'm happy with it. Speeds are as said on the papers.

Excellent, good to know. After checking out the other possible providers, I think I'll go with Metro. :)

Cheers!

Advertisement