Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to get a letter to say I'm finished?

• 26-05-2009 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Did last exam today and need a letter to say I'm finished for Jobseekers Allowance. Do I need to get it from the department office or the place on South Campus where you register?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Not sure on this, but I think theres a certain period of time that you have to be out of college before you can apply for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Most likely from the Registrar's Office. But you are still considered a student so they probably won't give you one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭waghag

I'll try the Registrars office in the morning. When would we be considered non-students then - when the results come out in August? That's a bit steep:(

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭gra26

Well seeing as you technically don't graduate til Sept, I wouldn't be surprised if it's not til then. Although I really doubt it's that long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

can't apply til after you graduate and then it'll probably be another 6-8 weeks before you see any of it.

You get a copy of your results from the Registrar's Office to say you're done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 jane says

What about the dates on your student card? Maybe that is an indication when you are registred as a student until.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭raviravi

I have checked with social welfare and if you are a final year student you can sign on the day after you finish your final exam once you have a letter from the records office to say you are finished, if you are a 1st, 2nd or 3rd year student of a a 4 year programme you cannot sign on, that is what the lady said in the information section of social welfare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Do you not have to be out of full time education a while? Seems ridiculous you can sign on the minute you finish. Might discourage you from bothering to look for a job in this climate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Warmaster

Got mine off dept. secretary day I finished the last exam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭*Roisin*

Can sign on from the day after you finish your last exam. You need a letter from Student Records to say you finished and make sure that they put the date of your last exam on it. The letter must come from Student Records as it has to be stamped for SW to accept it.

Depending on whether or not you have PRSI stamps built up from working through college, you may qualify for Job Seekers Benefit. If you haven't worked, or have worked but don't have enough PRSI contributions, you may qualify for Jobs Seekers Allowance, but a good point to remember is that if you're under 25 and living at home, this is means tested off your parents earnings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭ComaWhite

you can get one from the Records office (fees and grants on south campus). I got one last week, all they ask is what date your last exam was, and tis stamped and all

=D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

Got one the week after I finished my exams, not a problem with it provided you've finished final year. Just go into where you registered and say "give me my goddamn letter" or please can I have my letter.

They didn't ask me anything about exams finishing, just my student number and I was sorted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Verbal_Kint

its the exams office in nuig if that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Do you qualify for the Dole if you are doing repeats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Not the official dole, but there is the possibility of getting the jobseeker's allowance (not 'benefit'). They do their best to make sure nobody knows about it. Call into your local welfare office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Cool, thanks. There's a section on if you are attending a third level course (am I? since lectures are over I'd say no but does doing repeats mean I am?) and hours available for work (16, is that enough?). Anyway I'll drop into the office to get all my answers.

Since looking for a place to live was a great success does anyone know of part time jobs going (where you work or otherwise)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 klasskrista

as long as your working less than 20hrs a week you can claim the job seekers allowance as far as I know....a couple of my friends are getting it!

Advertisement