Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linksys/Coova/WIFI expertise

Options
  • 26-05-2009 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi Folks,

I am currently setting up a network of wifi hotspots (aiming for 100) throughout Dublin. The idea is that the hotspot will be free to use but will contain advertisements on the captive portal, depending on the location of the hotspot.

Currently, after weeks of research the model I am proposing to use in a standard Linksys WRT54GL router flashed with Coova firmware which is pretty cool, but still is too much for me to apply and stand behind commercially.

Has anyone any experience of this set up? Is it the wrong direction totally?

I was also thinking of fusing bluetooth into the location, so would it be compatible with that.

Thanks for reading my garbled thoughts. Sometimes it is good to get a second opinion as you can get very wrapped up in the detail.

Also, if anyone is interested in some part time work in this area (expertise required) please PM me as I will be installing pretty soon. :)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

sounds like a pretty big project. I assume you have people that are agreeing to host the routers and provide a bb connection? Have you your insurance covered? In the extreme case if one of these routers were to catch fire (this is worst case scenario) are you covered as a company? Do you have access to the sites you're installing in? I know it's not exactly a priority as it'll be a free service, but you want reliability at the same time :)

Also do you have contracts for your install locations i.e. the host is on the broadband bill, do they get a cut etc...

I'm not trying to pry into your business (not even near dublin) just pointing out other things that may have to be thought of. I considered a similar idea around my own town too. But it wasn't feasible with connection costs, hot spot coverage and revenue based on ads.

Good luck with it anyways :) Would be nice to see something like that working.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hibernicatio

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply. In rergard to fire etc, public liability insurance should cover that I would assume but I will check it out further.

H

Advertisement