Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Red Faction..Yay or Nay

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    dont make me mod slap you :D

lolz, I think I have the swine flu with all this coughing!

hem hem [mexican salso] hem

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭moggins7

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

Though I am clearly tempted and would like to sledgehammer people online.

sledgehammer + jetpack = death from above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Great game this, nearly finished now. Very repetitive missions and environment but brilliant gameplay and destruction,
    some great weapons aswell. Does anyone know what the difference
    is between
    the upgraded sledgehammer and the original? I dont have the option to
    swap them in the weapons locker and I think the one Im holding looks a little bit different but
    Im not sure, there doesnt seem to be any performance boost anyway.

I was in GAME today and they were giving away a walker figurine with every purchase of the
    game, obviously nobody pre-ordered it when the figurine was the pre-order bonus. I asked to
    see it and he told me I could have it, ****ing sweet, good quality for a freebie too.

iqjv4i.jpg
    052.jpg
    DSC04058.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

that is pretty damn sweet

almost makes me regret winning a free copy :D

Go into your local GAME and ask, they probably got a pallet of them and nobody would have bothered pre-ordering this game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Completed the game tonight.. actually really enjoyable :P

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

Just got it there last night,bought it from japan so i knew there was a bit of a wait.The music is somewhat lacking in it.It feels very quiet when playing.That may have been due to me having the volume low last night when i gave it a go,but it seem like there was little to no music playing when i was playing online.The gameplay is still brilliant..i love the sonic boom, jetpack and concussion backpack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

my copy arrived today and I must say it really does live up to its *smashy smashy* reputation.

few things I liked

the on rails segment is alot faster in the demo then it is in the full game, so its much easier in the full game.

There is some bizarre sense of joy knowing every hole you make, every bridge you break and building you collapse reamins broken for the whole game. Someone really needs to pick up this technology and put it in a proper wargame or something, I was driving back through an early area and all the damage I had done was still present and it genuinely looked like I fought a war through the place.

The vehicles accelerate very quickly, even really big vehicles pick up insane speed and then putting then through a building is very satisfying. Thought the permananent damage might have negative effects on some missions. I accidently took out the stairs to the 2nd floor of a key building and couldnt for the life of me get up to finish the mission. Had to collapse the building and fail the mission in the end.

the run and gun is strangely effective, your character is light enough that moving is fast and dynamic and a quick click of the right thumbstick gives a good shoulder aim. Makes the combat a quick and entertaining process.

The music is pretty weak and the levels a bit sparse and the AI can be a bit dotty, but the gameplay basics are so solid that it is too much of a joy to care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

helios12 wrote: »
    I don't need to hear anymore! I was toying with playing through Freespace 1&2 again and I take your post as a sign:D

If you want to play freespace but in a different way check these out.

http://babylon.hard-light.net/official_downloads.php
    Freespace 2 with all the ships converted to babylon 5 models

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?board=120.0
    updates the graphics for modern machines, i.e. makes it prettier!!:D

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Campaign_List
    list of extra campaigns!

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/freespace2/mod/28814.html
    a port of the freespace campaign into freespace 2

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/freespace2/mod/12935.html
    Battlestar Gallactica Mod

I feckin' Love freespace 2!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Remouad wrote: »
    If you want to play freespace but in a different way check these out.

http://babylon.hard-light.net/official_downloads.php
    Freespace 2 with all the ships converted to babylon 5 models

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?board=120.0
    updates the graphics for modern machines, i.e. makes it prettier!!:D

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Campaign_List
    list of extra campaigns!

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/freespace2/mod/28814.html
    a port of the freespace campaign into freespace 2

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/freespace2/mod/12935.html
    Battlestar Gallactica Mod

I feckin' Love freespace 2!!

I'm buying Red faction too. Looking forward to blowing EVERYTHING up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

keen wrote: »
    Nay from me, didn't like the single or multiplayer demos.

Not my type of game, might pick it up second hand to give the campaign a proper go.

Got the full game to play and I'm enjoying the campaign more then the online demo. Online can be good for a laugh but it's a bit too frantic for me.

Some good missions and the world is impressive. Haven't got bored of smashing up enemy bases yet either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Red Faction is bloody great! i ploughed a fair few hours into the sinlge player game, it's nice and challenging!

Didn't care for the multiplayer much though, in the games i played everyone always had rocket launchers... no aiming necessary, bit pooh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Red Faction is bloody great! i ploughed a fair few hours into the sinlge player game, it's nice and challenging!

I was very skeptical, but absolutely loved the demo. Seemed a bit frantic, but good. Love the ability to destroy buildings and the fact that the destruction is permanent.

The only thing I didn't like was the fact that the AI just seems to randomly spawn all over the place, sometimes they spawned practically right beside me.

I've heard it gets very difficult towards the end? Can you bump the difficulty up or down before a mission?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    I've heard it gets very difficult towards the end? Can you bump the difficulty up or down before a mission?

I'm not sure if you can change it mid-way through a campaign, you'll manage with the difficulty spike anyway, the main problem is the low limit on ammo i find. You get some pretty savage weapons later on too!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,691 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Been playing a lot of this over the last few days and am really, really enjoying it. A good summer blockbuster of a game if ever there was one. Love the persistent world, although
    its annoying I have to go around that big forge after I destroyed that big f'ing bridge in Badlands :D
    . Missions are challenging (I get obsessed trying to beat the pro times in the demolition ones) and overall a very satisfying little game.

A couple of issues: trying to keep the morale gauge up can be a pain, constantly respawning EDF can be annoying in core missions, and I wish there was more salvage around. But few of the problems really dent the game, and for such a massive open world I'm very surprised at how stable the game is technically (there rarely seems to be any game breaking glitches, and I havent noticed the frame rate drop considerably at any point - which is very impressive given some of the ridiculously large scale battles that go on).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Just got back into this game. Got it at launch, played the first few levels, then got bored. Just started it again this morning, and before I knew it, 3 hours had disappeared! Will try the multi once I finish the SP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

I'm really liking it too. I love the demolition master missions.. there one where you have to collapse a building with 9 grenades from a distance.. replayed it about 10 times trying to topple it quicker!

Only just located the first MOAB, so this evening Im gonna find some nice big EDF building to obliterate

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hornswoggle

Thinking of picking up either this, or protoype this afternoon. Which is better? Also, anyone know where is the cheapest place to pick up RF? :pac:

I'm a bit lost at the moment, I'm currently in "Martian Council"

The EDF bar is at 0 the Guerilla bar is at 100, there's no EDF bases remaining in entire map and there's no new missions for me to try. I don't know what I'm missing or have to do at this stage. Anyone know what I need to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Just do a few Guerilla side missions. Happened to me and it just popped up.

• Advertisement

chrislad wrote: »
    Just do a few Guerilla side missions. Happened to me and it just popped up.

It wasn't that I done a load of side missions, I needed to buy the "Nano Forge"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Just started playing this now (picked it up for 16.99 - couldn't refuse). I cleared the first area pretty quickly, but there seems to be an awful lot of dying. Its tough when you run out of sachel charges and then your running around trying to hammer down a building with 50 EDF guys shooting you in the face.

Great fun so far. Not an awful lot of salvage to be had though. I'm a bit worried about the difficult later in the game seeing as I've died an ass load of times already!

Nah it gets easier when you can carry more ammo and stuff, not to mention a certain weapon thats one of the most fun things Ive ever played with in a game.

You can do a lot of damage to a building by stealing a truck and ramming it into the middle and then in and out a few more times aswell btw, or park it in the middle and stick a satchel charge on it.

Thargor wrote: »
    Nah it gets easier when you can carry more ammo and stuff, not to mention a certain weapon thats one of the most fun things Ive ever played with in a game.

You can do a lot of damage to a building by stealing a truck and ramming it into the middle and then in and out a few more times aswell btw, or park it in the middle and stick a satchel charge on it.

Which weapon? I just got the rocket launcher which seems pretty effective, and just did the mission from the demo with the walker. That walker is absolutely brilliant.

Always find myself running out of ammo alright

I wont spoil it for you as its part of the plot.

THQ are making Red Faction 4 next year, that'll be incredible.

THQ are making Red Faction 4 next year, that'll be incredible.

Good stuff, I can see why this got such good reviews. Hopefully they won't make a mess of it now.
    I wont spoil it for you as its part of the plot.

Were you talking about the
    Nano Forge? Seemed to be a big deal about finding it and then a cutscene after I finally unlocked it. I still love my rocket launcher though, as it doesn't really seem much more effective than it. Its a pity you can only carry 4 weapons, sledgehammer can't be swapped, you need a riffle of some kind, satchel charges and then its a choice between the rocket launcher or the nano forge.

Yeah thats the one, upgrade it fully and you can just rip the **** out of buildings, comes a bit late to be useful though, mostly just good for messing around with.

Yeah thats the one, upgrade it fully and you can just rip the **** out of buildings, comes a bit late to be useful though, mostly just good for messing around with.

Excellent. I'll keep upgrading that as much as I can so. About to liberate my third sector. Still feels very enjoyable. Pity theres no story percentage completion (or at least, none that I can find!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I must get back into this actually. Picked it up there around christmas when I saw it on sale. 'tis pretty enjoyable. I think I'm at the last sector, just never got around to finishing it. Multiplayer seemed pretty damn fun too.

• Advertisement

NotorietyH wrote: »
    I must get back into this actually. Picked it up there around christmas when I saw it on sale. 'tis pretty enjoyable. I think I'm at the last sector, just never got around to finishing it. Multiplayer seemed pretty damn fun too.

Its fun alright, I think it could be something to do with the missions and the small side quests, they are all short enough, helps to keep you moving so things don't get stale and you always feel like your making progress.

Very few things are as fun as crashing a walker through building and causing general mayhem for the EDF.

You can pick it up for less than €20 now, great value. Any idea how long it takes to complete the story? Seems to be a good bit of longevity there so far (hopefully its not TOO long!)

Advertisement