Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

motion of no confidence in cowen

Options
  • 26-05-2009 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭

Hello,

I was watching either questions and answers or Vincent Brown the other day and there was a FG person on who indicated that if FF did bad on June 5th there would be a motion of no confidence called in fish face.

I was reading up on wiki about it and it said that if that happend he would either have to step down as leader of FF or call a general election.

Ive 3 questions, if the motion was called and did pass, how soon would he have to make his decision, like would they still go on summer holidays?

how likely is it that he would call an election, as thick as he is im sure he knows there would be no point as FF would just get voted out, so would he be more likely just to step down?

if he did decided to call an election, when would this be likely to happen?

Cheers,
    Luke

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Hello,

I was watching either questions and answers or Vincent Brown the other day and there was a FG person on who indicated that if FF did bad on June 5th there would be a motion of no confidence called in fish face.

I was reading up on wiki about it and it said that if that happend he would either have to step down as leader of FF or call a general election.
    He'd only have to step down if he lost the motion. If there was a significant vote against him under the majority, it would be pretty unlikely he'd continue.
    Ive 3 questions, if the motion was called and did pass, how soon would he have to make his decision, like would they still go on summer holidays?
    They almost definitely wouldn't go on holiday.
    how likely is it that he would call an election, as thick as he is im sure he knows there would be no point as FF would just get voted out, so would he be more likely just to step down?
    Yes, if the Government were able to continue.

As for an alternative govt, unless they accepted Sinn Fein as coalition partners, or relied on SF in a minority Government, it would be pretty impossible for FG to form an alternative so an election might be more likely.

Tactically, it would suit FF more to simply cross the floor, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Give me 5 minutes and I'll fix that wikipedia page for you...

Advertisement