Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S.O.A.D.

• 26-05-2009 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭

Haven't seen a System of a Down thread in a while so...

Recently been listening to a lot of music that I haven't listened to in a while and SoaD keep popping up. I'd kind of nearly forgotten about them there for a bit after the whole Hypnotize/Mezmerize-fever died down. Used to be really into them when I was younger and still highly regard Toxicity and Steal This Album. I remember people slating S.T.A. before on Boards but I don't get it, I think it's a great album. I prefer it to their first and last two albums and would probably tie it with Toxicity. I know it's not a technical masterpiece or anything but it's got some really catchy beats and harmonies. Mr. Jack, I-E-A-O-A-O, Highway Song, and Roulette, all good songs imo.

Interested to hear people's opinions on it. Anyone want to slate/rate?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭redenemyjoe

I love System, such a good band. Been listening for years and still haven't "grown out of them".

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The album before toxcity,toxcity and sta are my favourite albums,boom boom is a great song,mezmerize hypnotize (sp) did'nt really impress me much,are they on a permanment hiatus now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Syndrome of a Down don't impress me much. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭Brian_Uckfast

Syndrome of a Down don't impress me much. :pac:
    Douche

They're a solid enough band (especially their earlier stuff) with originality. Nobody can take that away from them.
    I love STA album too...great title!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Used to be mad into them when I was younger, as many people I know were, but I haven't listened to them in ages.

I still think their first three albums are great. Like some of the songs on the last two. Their first is so aggressive, and by far their heaviest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭GeorgeCostanza

love them, very unique sound. would prefer if daron had kept his voice more to the background on Hypnotize/Mezmerize, but still liked most of songs on those albums.

STA is probably my favourite of their offerings with Toxicity a close second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

love them, very unique sound. would prefer if daron had kept his voice more to the background on Hypnotize/Mezmerize, but still liked most of songs on those albums.

I felt the exact same way, really cant stand his voice. It's a bit too whiny, likes he's singing through his nose.

I love every album they've released but I did sense that Mezmerize/Hypnotize was very polarized between Serj/Daron songs, hence the split so they could both go off and make their own music which has gone well for Serj at least. I don't see them getting back together for a long time tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Wouldn't say i was a massive fan , but do enjoy their music very much, as with you OP i love steel this album, roulette is a song i love even though its a quiet one. Was very disappointed with hypnotize/memerize when they came out for some reason i cant recall.

Ive recently gone back to them but still dont rate them as highly as albums as their other stuff. But they did have some very good songs on them.

The solo work was very impressive i thought , loved serj's album and caughth him live .

Must throw on the scars on broadway album now , i enjoyed that a lot too!!!!! and this is coming from a guy who though daron's singing was annoying in system too :D Just something about that album that hooked me :confused: he still sucks live though , the vids i've seen where pretty bad but where from the 1st shows scars did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Lost interest in them after STA,wasn't my cup of tea at all. Toxicity still gets plenty of play on my ipod,never grows old.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

Their first 3 albums were so****ing awesome. I jizz in my pants when I listen to the first one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Toxicity and Mezmerize/Hypnotize are in constant play on my mp3... never really got into STA or the eponymous album.

Post SOAD, I really liked Serj's solo album.. nearly but not quite as good as SOAD. Not so much a fan of Scars though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

I wonder how many people actually know that S.T.A is a compilation of b-sides. Mr Jack is a really old song, they wrote it before they released their first album. 36 is a recording from back then also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭hopeful_girl

they're back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Im actually quite surprised alot of people seem to rate STA as their best output considering its filler that they didnt think good enough to make it onto their studio albums proper.

Personally Hypnotize/Mezmerize are my favourite albums.They should be listened to as companion pieces.

SOAD is a great little debut album with some awesome tracks.

Toxicity,while a very solid album is a bit over rated IMO.
    Some standout tracks but a couple of weak ones too - aerials comes to mind.

All in all though they are a very good band that have helped push metal more into the mainstream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

whut? proof?

Advertisement