Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can somebody loan me a Windows XP Home Edition setup disk?

• 26-05-2009 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

My PC died this evening and I get a message on the screen to the effect that ........
    windows/system/config/system is missing or corrupt

It then advises me that an XP setup disk will help solve my problems. I don't have one 'cos Dell don't supply disks anymore. Everywhere I've checked on the 'Net for the last 4 hours all point me to a setup disk and "Recovery Console".

I'm limited to what I can try. I've tried disk diagnostics and it indicated a pass. I've also tried the "last known good configuration".

I haven't found anybody offering a bootup disk that would help so that's why I'm here. I live near Drogheda but regularly travel to Dublin (and beyond).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 frodos63

Try www.bootdisk.com they have a few disks there that might be useful or try www.support.microsoft.com/kb/310994. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Timpa Bylon

Maybe not. Bootdisk.com requires XP formatted floppies. I'll do my best to find someone. I have a USB floppy - just need to get some disks.

The second link to Microsoft returned a 404 error.

Paul T.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Maybe not. Bootdisk.com requires XP formatted floppies. I'll do my best to find someone. I have a USB floppy - just need to get some disks.

The second link to Microsoft returned a 404 error.

Paul T.

The MS link works fine for me, but it is a redirect to

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994

Spear wrote: »
    The MS link works fine for me, but it is a redirect to

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994

Yes, it worked fine for me that time. I had already been there. Again, it's XP formatted floppy disks that are needed. Might have to do that if I can't get somebody with the CDs.
    Thanks for getting back to me.
    Paul T.

Got a loan of an XP setup disk and after 2 1/2 hours of whirring and whizzing during CHKDSK the system returned. Now I have to get everything onto another (healthy) disk.
    Thanks everyone who responded.

Paul T.

• Advertisement
Advertisement