Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Play TV in Ireland (Donegal)

Options
  • 26-05-2009 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was just wondering does anyone in Ireland have PLAY TV for Playstation 3 and does it work in Ireland?

I know it picks up UK/NI freeview channels and I live in Letterkenny (Donegal) and I think we get a few, but I'm not sure and don't want to waste about €70 finding out.

Anyway, has anyone had any luck with it?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Irish DTT isn't available in Letterkenny yet, unless you're incredibly lucky enough to receive transmissions from Truskmore in Sligo. I don't even think Holywell Hill has DTT broadcasts yet.

As for UK DTT (Freeview), it'll depend on what transmitter you're receiving your NI channels from.

Also, Play TV is now compatible with both standards (UK/NI uses MPEG2, we'll be using MPEG4) after a recent firmware update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Question prob more suited to digital forum but can someone explain (in small words) what all this is about?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Question prob more suited to digital forum but can someone explain (in small words) what all this is about?

Television in Ireland is switching over to DTT from the normal analog thing you get with an aerial. There's an upgrade in picture quality with that, with the potential for HDTV oveyou air rather than via cable or whatever.
    You can get PlayTV devices from play.com or whatever, and if the signal is broadcasting in your area, you plug the normal aerial into your PlayTV device, then plug that into your PS3, which will act as a digital video recorder for the stuff that is broadcast.

this hasn't officially launched in Ireland yet, but there's a phased rollout, like where I am at the moment, I get the proper signal from RTE. This has RTE1 Net2, TV3, TG4 and a couple of radio channels.

There was supposed to be a subscription based one carrying Sky and whatnot, but the consortium to broadcast pulled out when the economy went tits up. So no one really knows what's happening there yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Snakeblood wrote: »
    There was supposed to be a subscription based one carrying Sky and whatnot, but the consortium to broadcast pulled out when the economy went tits up. So no one really knows what's happening there yet.

Play TV is for FTA broadcasts only. Any encrypted broadcasts are useless with it.

Advertisement