Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tight uncomfortable feeling in throat & IBS

Options
  • 26-05-2009 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi everyone,
    I wonder if anyone can shed any light on this. I was diagnosed with IBS and acid a few weeks ago after my blood tests, scans, x-ray, gastroscopy and colonoscopy all came back clear.The consultant didn't say whether it was reflux or not, and I had never really suffered from heartburn. I do occasionally get what I would consider mild heartburn but this is only since the gastroscopy. I'm still working on finding out which foods make my symptoms worse. At the moment, I think it's citrus fruits, tomatoes, chocolate and dairy.

I am really worried about my throat though. Every day for some months now, I experience a lot of discomfort, like my throat is swollen and tight. Sometimes there is a lump sensation on the inside and it is often hard to swallow, however not when eating. There is also sometimes a clicking sound/feeling and I have a lot of phlegm. I've been to my GP and mentioned it to my consultant but they have no explanation. I was with my GP yesterday and he told me I had pharyngitis and put me on an antibiotic. I asked him to check out a small lump I have under my chin and he said it was a swollen gland.

Can anyone explain what the tightness/swollen feeling might be and if I should be worried? If anyone has any ideas of what could help, I'd be grateful as it's really frustrating. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lynnsback

I would go to your doctor and ask to be tested for Hashimotos thyroiditis. Specifically antibodies. If he or she only offers a TSH test don't accept it. If your body is producing antibodies against your thyroid you can have a normal TSH but all hypothyroid symptoms. Throat pain is one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Sunflower1

Thanks for your reply. Is that serious?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sunflower1- it could in fact be any of a large number of different things. You have already been diagnosed with IBS (as opposed to IBD)- the way I would approach the current issue is- your throat is part of your gastrointestinal tract, you have already been diagnosed with one gastrointestinal problem- it would make sense to have a gastroenterologist look into both it (and this) in more detail.

It could be any of a large number of different things- and for your own sake as much as anything else- I am closing this thread as 1. We are not allowed offer medical advice and 2. Speculation by various posters on the internet as to what it might or might not be, is unhelpful to you, and potentially dangerous.

Please go to a gastroenterologist- he/she can point you in the right direction, if its not their particular field of expertise.

Once you have been diagnosed, feel free to post back here seeking other people's experiences (of whatever it is). In the interim I am closing this thread.

Best wishes,

SMcCarrick

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement