Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Substitute for Coconut Milk?

Options
  • 26-05-2009 8:26pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭

Have just seen the saturated fat content in a can of coconut milk, it's loaded with it. Does anyone know a substitute for cooking Thai food, as I don't think I can keep using it in my meals. Thanks in advance for your idea's!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

i'd use cream as a substitute the odd time, but you defo won't want to go there. tbh, nice things have fats in them, you can try the light coconut milk but it's not the same as proper coconut milk. likewise coconut cream is richer than coconut milk but you'll get away w/ watering it down because it's so rich

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

I grate cream coconut into dishes instead of using tins of coconut. Its got a more intense flavour so you don't need to use too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Like most things that are (allegedly) bad for you, but taste great anyway, just eat less of them! That's my motto. Some things just can't be substituted.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Alun wrote: »
    Like most things that are (allegedly) bad for you, but taste great anyway, just eat less of them! That's my motto. Some things just can't be substituted.

You beat me to it Alun. That's what I do. Avoid eating Thai curries after a few scoops too as you will just leather into it without the slightest bit of restraint. Enjoy the stuff that is bad for you but just limit the amount that you eat of the stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Alun wrote: »
    Like most things that are (allegedly) bad for you, but
    I eat a fair amount of coconut, I like the taste but also eat if for the health benefits of all the fat.

http://www.google.com/search?complete=1&hl=en&q=coconut+oil+benefits&aq=0&oq=%22coconut+oil%22+&aqi=g10

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

If you're really worried about the fat content use natural yogurt. not the same taste but if you use a bit of coconut cream aswell you should be ok...

I'd be one for normal coconut milk or coconut cream myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

authentic thai curries usually have a liquid ratio of 50% stock and 50% coconut milk and why u rarely see a fat thaiman :)
    in dublin resturants etc they use 100% coconut milk, this is a lot more creamy and easier on the western palate but of course more fatty.

for best results use 50% stock and 50% coconut milk and reduce down to about 75% or until it becomes more thick and less watery to your personal preferance.
    the 50/50 mix actually brings out all the subtleties of the complex mix of flavours better than creaming them down.

Advertisement