Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jar of red cabbage

Options
  • 26-05-2009 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Hi,
    I was at a dinner recently and they served a jar of red cabbage that her friend made, it was really nice. She said all she knew was that it was the jar of red cabbage from lidl and it had apple and something else in it. Does anyone know what you could add to red cabbage to jazz it up. Would you bake it in the oven or simmer it in a pan .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

I'd simmer it very gently, but not for too long cos you want to hold onto the crunchy texture. You can add red wine vinegar or raspberry vinegar, any fruity vinegar really with some water and simmer it away. I'd also add some brown sugar to the mixture and a finely chopped shallot or two. A pickle should have a good mix of sweet and sour.

For a quick cold pickle just mix shredded red cabbage with some olive oil, vinegar, pinch of sugar and seasoning and serve as a side salad.

Advertisement