Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jobless

Options
  • 26-05-2009 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Today i was meant to start working for the Volvo Ocean Race. I was told I would get around 700 euro for the two weeks and that 700 was goin to cover my rent for the summer. My rent is 50 euro a week. Myself and my friend rented an apartment for the summer there last week thinking we would have the money to pay the rent. We went down to the docks today (Galway) and we were basically told no we dont need you anymore sorry. The two of us have about 300 euro combined to live on and pay rent. So now we are both up the creek without a paddle and jobs are impossible to come by in Galway. We have no idea what to do!! Anyone got any ideas?? We are both 19 and are extremely hard workers. We haven't got much experience which is what everywhere is looking for. We need a money quick plan of action.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Start now and go into every local shop and business looking for a job. Keep looking until you find one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Well first port of call would be to go to After Hours... Bad idea :P

Get social welfare? Why are you not on it?

Yea, the volvo ocean tards are useless. Was supposed to be driving a minibus for them too, got the same reply. Well beats going to galway for two weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

rent boy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 duurag

sure we college students...can we get it?? like we basically fuc..d ya know

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

duurag wrote: »
    like we basically fuc..d ya know

Sure that would be worth a few yoyos if ya find a market

• Advertisement

Move home?

Go abroad?

i cant move home as my rents live outside ire..they both working in El salvador wit denis o brien...Like they basically told me we had to fend for ourselves so you can to. I'm 19 and getting nothing off my rents. Had to pay for all of 1st yr college and accommodation. All my money is gone so going abroad is outta the question as well as having a 3 month lease that has to be seen through

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

In that case I'd echo the previous poster who encouraged you to go into every shop, pub and restaurant.

It's a tough situation, OP, and god knows the jobs are scarce out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can check with state benefits forum in this category. Or maybe someone here knows something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I know a couple of people in your situation OP, there were told they had lots of hours work for the two weeks of the VOR, but are now just being called in a few days, which is sh*te when you're counting on the cash... but as has been suggested, get out there and pavement pound, there are places in town with 'staff required' signs up if you look hard enough and keep on eye in the paper on thursday, including the classified section...

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

You are entitled to something AFAIK. There is job seekers allowence and Job Seekers Benefit, students are entitled to one of these. Go in here and ask them what your options are. If you are as stuck as you said you are you probably should have tought of that already. :rolleyes: What and where are you studying?!

jenno86 wrote: »
    You are entitled to something AFAIK. There is job seekers allowence and Job Seekers Benefit, students are entitled to one of these. Go in here and ask them what your options are. If you are as stuck as you said you are you probably should have tought of that already. :rolleyes: What and where are you studying?!

Actually, generally students who are returning to full time education after the summer are not entitled to social welfare payments unless they are on a back to education allowance scheme or similar.

They may be entitled to payments from their college student hardship fund, or to supplementary welfare allowance if they have a good case for the community welfare officer.

in nuig and marine science

Nope, they aren't entitled to anything if they are students returning to college in September, not a cent unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Can either of ye sing or play? Ye could try busking, but there is tough competition as every busker in Europe seems to be here. Still if ye got a spot and gave it a lash for a few hours, you'd never know.

Food not bombs are still doing free grub on Sunday (social space I think) so that might save you a day of groceries.

Delivering flyers/papers?
    Dunno, but best of luck OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Get a loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Xiney wrote: »
    college student hardship fund,
    Is that not just an interest-free loan that has to be paid back? (Not that I'm against it...)

I'm sure it varies between colleges.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Get a loan.

Probably the worst advice in the world! Even if you could find someone to give you a loan (secured against nothing, yeah right!), it would just cost you in interest.

Walk every shopping street every day looking for "staff wanted" signs. (Because you're young, you don't have to be paid minimum wage: that's an advantage you have over older more experienced people)

Tell your friends, your parents friends, and randoms on the internet (that's us!) about your situation and ask for any hints (some of the parent's friends may know about unadvertised jobs)

Watch jobs.ie and fas.ie (jobseekers ... by location) every day

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

You can call the citizens advice information line on 1890 777 121 from 9am to 9pm Mon to Fri.If you explain your situation they should be able to tell you if there's anything at all that you are entitled to under the circumstances.

Otherwise check out jobs or contact your parents. If they have the means they would be the best people to ask for a loan from. Even if that option is the one you'd least want to engage I'm sure they wouldn't see you on the streets for the sake of a couple of hundred euro if they have it to give.You're only 19 and it's very difficult to find work for a student this summer.Surely they'd be willing to take that into account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Did you see the "cleaner wanted" thread? Perhaps you could convince 'em you can clean!

Where is this thread?? Ya i called round and handed out about 20 cv's so hopefully something will come up. :)

20 CVs isn't enough.

Also follow up on those you gave out by calling the manager tomorrow or Friday. It will put you ahead of the thousands of others who are looking for work at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

duurag wrote: »
    Where is this thread??
    On the first page, along with this thread ;)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055576368

JustMary wrote: »
    Because you're young, you don't have to be paid minimum wage: that's an advantage you have over older more experienced people

HES 19!! Of course he has to be paid minimum wage!! Where did ya get this information from??

I know a few people that are in college and will be returning in September and they have applied for the dole because they're local Citizens Information Centre told them. It may not be the full amount but they will be getting something. A lad in my class last year done it for the summer as well.

I know a few people that are in college and will be returning in September and they have applied for the dole because they're local Citizens Information Centre told them. It may not be the full amount but they will be getting something. A lad in my class last year done it for the summer as well.

This has to be nonsense, what do you mean they are getting 'something'? If it's currently taking 10-15 weeks to actually get the dole, they'll be back in college and have to be telling the dole office so.. There is nothing available for full time students, it's a pile of crap the way the system is run

This has to be nonsense, what do you mean they are getting 'something'? If it's currently taking 10-15 weeks to actually get the dole, they'll be back in college and have to be telling the dole office so.. There is nothing available for full time students, it's a pile of crap the way the system is run

Why would I bother writing it if it were nonsence? I mean they will not be getting the full dole but they will be getting part dole. Jesus christ like, I was just offering some advice because I know people doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

JustMary wrote: »
    (Because you're young, you don't have to be paid minimum wage: that's an advantage you have over older more experienced people)

Sorry what?!! :confused:

That's just totally incorrect :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭pmg58

I think she means that the minimum wage will be lower, the rate depends on age and experience AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

i think JustMary is refering to :

# An employee who is in the first year of employment since the age of 18 is entitled to €6.92 per hour (80% of minimum wage)
    # An employee who is in the second year of employment since the date of first employment over the age of 18 is entitled to €7.79 per hour (90% of the minimum wage)

If she is not, then god knows.

Advertisement