Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jobless

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Jenno86, I wasn't attacking you personally with that comment, take it handy will ya!!

What I was saying is that they have to be telling you some sort of nonsense: Find out what sort of 'part-dole' this is, because I reckon you're thinking of the jobseekers one where you can work part time and still claim...but it is still not available to full time students no matter what way you look at it. A student returning to Full time education in September is entitled to nothing (I'm on myself so I have looked into it

It's rubbish , because you get a grant for the other semesters, but nothing for the summer..

OP; I'm sure there are promotion jobs going for pubs/clubs etc, might be worth seeing if you can even get temp hours for a few bob..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Saw a new pizza place advertising for staff in Advertiser this week. Sorry, name escapes me, but colour ad is in there.

I do remember years ago, a friend getting means-tested while living at home, and getting a portion of the 'dole' but not the full whack, as some resources were covered by her living at home.
    That may be it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TheSledge

Apache pizza i think it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 sarsarsar

If you are getting a maintenance grant throughout the college year, then you are eligible for dole during the summer months, but it is means tested on your parents incomes. This is definite.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I know it's a bad idea but if you don't get work and get very stuck you can try getting a student loan. No problem with the banks as long as your folks can guarantee it and you can humor them (your folks) by saying you'll pay it back out of your grant check.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

sarsarsar wrote: »
    If you are getting a maintenance grant throughout the college year, then you are eligible for dole during the summer months, but it is means tested on your parents incomes. This is definite.

well that is news to me! having been in reciept of said grant throughout college..

sarsarsar wrote: »

Have YOU done this? So far anyone i have spoken to only seems to 'know of someone', or 'heard of someone' who has...I would seriously love this as I am in need and it would be great news...

Just had a good search on the SW website...if you are a mature student then you may be entitled (based on a means test) to jobseekers allowance (part dole)...but you got to be 23...sorry OP, really hope you find something!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There are a good few shops/pubs around town that I've seen "staff wanted" on lately.
    Also, try aim to get some work around race week out at the races.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

toxick wrote: »
    i think JustMary is refering to :

# An employee who is in the first year of employment since the age of 18 is entitled to €6.92 per hour (80% of minimum wage)
    # An employee who is in the second year of employment since the date of first employment over the age of 18 is entitled to €7.79 per hour (90% of the minimum wage)

If she is not, then god knows.

I was, naturally enough.

Employment rights in this country are a joke. The adult minimum wage starts at 18, but hang on, no it doesn't, you need to have worked for two years since you were 18 for it to apply (no matter how long you worked for before you were 18!).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 neelerwheeler

20 CVs isn't enough.

Also follow up on those you gave out by calling the manager tomorrow or Friday. It will put you ahead of the thousands of others who are looking for work at the moment.

i agree. 20 cvs definitly isnt enough. Last summer i spent 2 or 3 days going around to nearly every shop in galway asking handing out cvs, i went to nearly 120 places and all i got out of it was a job in a clothes shop for 4 hours a week even though i had experience in retail from the summer before.
    this summer i did the same and only got 2 weeks work in a another clothes shop.
    i suppose just keep handing out cvs and if there is any possibility of a job follow it up with the manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

toxick wrote: »
    i think JustMary is refering to :

# An employee who is in the first year of employment since the age of 18 is entitled to €6.92 per hour (80% of minimum wage)
    # An employee who is in the second year of employment since the date of first employment over the age of 18 is entitled to €7.79 per hour (90% of the minimum wage)

If she is not, then god knows.

Thanks for clearing that up! A lot of people don't know that this is the case. Most places will pay you full minimum wage or slightly over, if you'r over 18, but they don't have to.
    I did a bit of job hunting around Galway myself with no success. I ended up taking back my old job which I didn't really want to return to but I suppose I should count myself lucky that I was able to get it back.
    As for students and the doll, I was under the impression that any student who was seeking employment for the summer was entitled to the doll if they couldn't find anything. They would have to sign off again in september. I know of guys who did this and failed to mention that they had returned to college in september. They were eventually caught out and made pay back what they had received since sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Youd be hard pressed to find anything; I was handing out CVs in April (handed out around 60-70) and got 3 interviews.

I was extremely lucky to get a job in Penneys (7 of us were hired, competition was meant to be extremely fierce)

The fact the OP has little experience stands against them given how important it is.

Coyote's is looking for people (bar, cellar, promotions)
    You could give them a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

So happy I'm not job hunting these days. Back in the glory days you'd walk into a job as long as you had decent experience and clothes on your back..dem were da days!

Advertisement