Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

THINKING OF BUYING A GOLDWING

• 26-05-2009 8:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭

Evening all.I'm trying to decide whether to buy a classic car or a Honda Goldwing.
    I've looked into the ups and downs of classic car ownership and now i would like some thoughts from you(the experts)on owning a Goldwing.
    It's about twenty years since i was a biker and the biggest bike i had was 500cc
    The wing would only be a toy for the weekends and a bit of fun with the kids.
    Any advice on price,running costs,insurance or any thing else you can offer would be appreciated.
    The bottom line is should i go for it or not?
    Let me know what you think.
    Thanks in advance.
    Bookerboy(or should it be bikerboy?)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

What year Goldwing are you thinking about ? The newer ones are quite heavy, you might find them a bit of a challange to drive if you haven't been on 2 wheels in a while.

What sort of licence do you have ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭bookerboy

I have all classes of licence except A and A1
    Does this rule out owning a wing
    Haden't thought about the bikes year but it would have to be reliable.
    Would i get something good with a budget of 5K/7K?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

bookerboy wrote: »
    I have all classes of licence except A and A1
    Does this rule out owning a wing
    Haden't thought about the bikes year but it would have to be reliable.
    Would i get something good with a budget of 5K/7K?

Well pretty much rules out driving anything with 2 wheels, unless you have an M licence, then you can drive a 50cc scooter.

This is where its going to get silly for you. You'll need to do the theory test to get your A learners permit. Then the bike has to be restricted to 33bhp. Any Goldwing would struggle to move being restricted to that.

The restriction lasts for 2 years after you pass your test and get the pink licence.

I don't see a Goldwing in your immeadiate future. Think about something smaller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Damn hippies and the restriction.
    Classic car or Goldwing. Hmm depends on what car really.

Wouldnt be a fan of the wings meself but me mates father has one and Im dying to have a go of it for the laugh.
    You would easily pick one up in your price range. Probably get 2 of em easily with that amount, they might be just a little on the "slightly older than me" side but still though.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/874082

Advertisement