Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving licence

Options
  • 26-05-2009 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Anyone know if a full Irish driving licence is transferable in Oz or do you need to sit a driving test over there?

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

kkelly77 wrote: »
    Hello all,

Anyone know if a full Irish driving licence is transferable in Oz or do you need to sit a driving test over there?

K

Presume you are talking for a permanent move? depends on the state.
    In NSW it depends on how long you had the irish licence for. Over 3 yrs you get a full license. Otherwise you go on to either of the p plates (p 1 or p 2)and have to do lessons etc (expensive) for a couple of yrs and sit test after a certain period of time.
    Best bet is to look up the state you are settling in and see their rules. they do differ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

myhorse wrote: »
    In NSW it depends on how long you had the irish licence for. Over 3 yrs you get a full license. Otherwise you go on to either of the p plates (p 1 or p 2)and have to do lessons etc (expensive) for a couple of yrs and sit test after a certain period of time.
    Best bet is to look up the state you are settling in and see their rules. they do differ

Yes it's a permanent move. I've been driving over 10 years now. Not sure which state I'm going move to just yet though. Thanks for the info

K

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

myhorse wrote: »

where do you apply for one , do you surrender your irish liscence and recieve it back when you leave the country ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Flyboy!!!

daftdave wrote: »
    where do you apply for one , do you surrender your irish liscence and recieve it back when you leave the country ????

You surrender it to the local licencing authority like VicRoads in Victoria. When you get back to Ireland, you surrender your Australian licence to the Tax Office like the one at Liffey House.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I have a Victorian licence and they gave me back my Irish one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭irelandsown

Dont bother getting a licence. Then you cant get demerit points, just pay the fine. I'm on a 457 and can use my Irish licence for as long as I'm here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

If you get an Aussie license you will get 12 points. On an Irish license you get 14 to start with. You could be very glad of those extra two points some day!

If you have had your Irish license for less than two years then you have to get a P2 license which has restrictions. If less than 1 year then a P1 license. This isn't relevant to you but may be relevant to other users.

Contrary to what was stated above. If you commit a traffic offence the state may open a driver file against your overseas licence and accrue points against this file. NSW RTA confirmed for me that this is their policy. I haven't confirmed with other states.

Advertisement