Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things i know now but didnt know when i started

• 26-05-2009 9:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭

AS a newbie to cycling, i ve been asking quite a few questions so instead of annoying everybody i was hoping this could be a place where people would put tips - exactly as the title says - things you didnt realise when you were starting but know now and would advise others of. anything from bike parts, gear, routes, safety tips, trai ning tips etc

hope this helps all people thinking of or who have recently taken up cycling:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Check it out dood !
    http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Board:Cycling

Add anything you reckon is missing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭DePurpereWolf

Are you talking about road cycling, mountainbiking, or commuting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I will not actually save money by cycling to work instead of taking the bus/train due to a compulsion to keep buying new stuff. Seven pairs of warmers still doesn't seem enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

road cycling - only 2 x 20 and 1x 30 kms per week tho at present

Why limit to road biking. Everything goes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

The majority of your personal emails will originate from two sources: Sales@ChainReactionCycles.com and Order_Confirm@wiggle.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

It's always handy to unclip at least one shoe when stopping at a junction........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

It always rains the day after you clean your bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Euro is not only a currency
    Fred is not just a Band
    Truffle hunting is really not what you think
    and though one may come to this forum looking for advise on buying one of these...
    5872-11125-main-trapani20sm-41.jpg

you will end up wanting one of these

dscn3956.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

Raam wrote: »
    It always rains the day after you clean your bike.

Also the day after you replace your chain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

- you need more than one bike
    +--- sometimes you need more than one of each TYPE of bike
    - the more useless and superfluous the gadget is, the more likely you are to have to buy it.
    - carrot cake can be used as an emergency brake.
    - for some reason cars seem to universally hate bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Discussing bikes with other bike-obsessed people does not make you a more balanced person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Jerseys and GPS's don't make you go faster - they make you look good and tell you how slow you're going!!

Also, don't buy a good bike - I had an ok bike and was happy. I recently bought a better bike and now all I think about is how I can upgrade it - I live in fear of the day I complete a 200k cycle because I reckon then I'll have all the mental justification I need for buying something really special!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

What seemed expensive now becomes necessary.

10 euro per gram weight saving becomes a tempting proposition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭decrrrrrr

- 3 hours sleep + hangover + Sally Gap + Wicklow Gap = Not a good place to be
    (I slayed those demons yesterday though :) )
    - if you want it, buy it. Worry about the consequences later
    - I'm on 1st name terms with the parcel delivery guys

Fred is not just a Band
    and though one may come to this forum looking for advise on buying one of these...

you will end up ...
    I have that bike. smiley_cry.gif

'sweet bike' is a term which is subjective.

I have that bike. smiley_cry.gif

I ment you come looking for advise on a classy & practical run-about and end up seeking a performance machine:o:o:o
    (sweet bike btw:-) )

(someone was bound to get hurt by this thread)

No bother TBW. An immigrant can't always afford the most precious bike right away.
    Anyway, will soon get a new one once this stupid bikescheme is implemented for the public sector....
    (Hey, I can re-use my cry smiley) smiley_cry.gifsmiley_cry.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

what is truffle hunting??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

• You will never ever sit down and try to work out what you have spent on cycling accessories over the last 12 months, even though your wife asked you nicely
    • There will always be a point on a long spin where you think 'this is ridiculous, why am I doing this?' Happens to me after about 65km and doesn't quit until around 85km
    • Lycra feels great and looks ridiculous
    • To non-cyclists we all look like giant insects on our way to a gay disco
    • The subject of helmets is very divisive / subjective / likely to lead to a hot thread with multiple pages of angry posts that go off topic
    • Fixie owners love their fixies and secretly feel sorry for people who haven't yet felt the 'zen' of fixie
    • Some cyclists can field strip their bike and re-fit everything from the bearings in their bottom bracket to their gear and brake cables
    • And some cannot :-(
    • On a good day, the sensation of tackling a hill is better than a whole heap of other stuff
    • Proper deep sleep is one of the post-spin bonuses hardly anyone ever talks about
    • The obsession is disproportionate to the time actually spent on the bike
    abcdggs wrote: »

Mountain biking (credited to Lumen I think?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

Fred is not just a Band

you will end up wanting one of these

dscn3956.jpg

I think you should have both! Especially if you don't have a car. I have a run-a-round and a road bike (and 2 other bikes back home!) When the run-around is out of service I hate cycling to work on the road bike (only 3 kms!) and don't feel great about leaving it locked in public places, outside shops etc.

I know some people here don't like hybrids but if you don't have any bike and want to get started I'd always advise people to get a reasonable hybrid from a reputable brand. If you get into it then get a road bike. You'll always find it useful to have the hybrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=truffle+hunting

click about the 8th link down (the first one that doesnt mention mushrooms ) you'll regret asking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

unionman wrote: »
    • The obsession is disproportionate to the time actually spent on the bike

So, so true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

If you are new to cycling I’d recommend a week long cycling holiday preferably in a foreign country where cyclists are respected on the road.

1. It’ll give you a good fitness base.
    2. Agreeing on a restaurant for luch will be easier, you’ll be too hungry argue.
    3. You’ll sleep well.
    4. You’ll enjoy the scenery more than from a car.
    5. You’ll have greater sense of purpose than on most holidays.
    6. Hotels, restaurants will be purely functional so you want really worry too much about the quality.
    7. You’ll probably get a sun tan even if the weather isn’t great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

That thing is awesome!

unionman wrote: »
    Mountain biking (credited to Lumen I think?)

Not guilty. I think it might have been ROK_ON.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

The three things I wish I'd known at the start were:
    - Toe clips and a high cadence may seem stupid, but they don't **** your knees
    - Always keep at least half the width of your bike between you and the kerb. If that means you have to wait, then wait.
    - Don't take roundabouts too fast. Applies double when it's raining.

Oh, and I hadn't realised before that you can sweat from your eyelids :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

That the non-driveside pedal is left hand threaded.

• Advertisement

* Grease is fantastic. Grease everything. Liberally.
    * I am never as strong as I think I am
    * What at first seems ridiculous, becomes normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

1. It’ll give you a good fitness base.
    2. Agreeing on a restaurant for luch will be easier, you’ll be too hungry argue.
    3. You’ll sleep well.
    4. You’ll enjoy the scenery more than from a car.
    5. You’ll have greater sense of purpose than on most holidays.
    6. Hotels, restaurants will be purely functional so you want really worry too much about the quality.
    7. You’ll probably get a sun tan even if the weather isn’t great.

8. Sex gets better with increased fitness level from longer daily commute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

25 inner tubes take up quite a lot of space.

That I now want one of these.

1. That once I started cycling I would not be able to find any jeans in a shop that fitted me.
    2. That I could buy completely custom jeans for €53 (delivered) from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Lumen wrote: »

WOW!!:D

hunting here, there... everywhere Hmm, I smell 'em

• Advertisement

I've a new one from last night -

If treasure domestic bliss, then don't bring your bike into the living room so you can work on it and watch the football at the same time.

Secondly, don't compound your error by saying "Well you do the ironing in here while watching the telly......"

The three things I wish I'd known at the start were:
    - Toe clips and a high cadence may seem stupid, but they don't **** your knees
    - Always keep at least half the width of your bike between you and the kerb. If that means you have to wait, then wait.
    - Don't take roundabouts too fast. Applies double when it's raining.

Oh, and I hadn't realised before that you can sweat from your eyelids :D

This has probably been asked and answered here before a dozen times, but what is the "best" cadence or can someone put a figure on "high"?

I usually spin at between 90 and 110 (aiming for 95) - is that too high or ok (please don't tell me it's too low!!!)?

I do occasionally crunch the big ring at low cadence for a bit of a workout, rather than for speed - should I just not do that?

Thanks

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

1. That once I started cycling I would not be able to find any jeans in a shop that fitted me.

This may just be the best link ever. I've always had problems finding jeans that fit me, but recently it's been worse, with every shop only stocking those crap jeans that only go half way up your arse.

el tonto wrote: »
    This may just be the best link ever. I've always had problems finding jeans that fit me, but recently it's been worse, with every shop only stocking those crap jeans that only go half way up your arse.

Ditto... there'll be at least a pair on the way to me soon I reckon! (and the custom shorts are a bonus too!)

el tonto wrote: »

Indeed, when I bought my last suit the tailor told me that cyclists are often hard to fit due to thigh size relative to waist.
    Ditto... there'll be at least a pair on the way to me soon I reckon! (and the custom shorts are a bonus too!)

I ordered my first pair last night;the experience was oddly similar to doing your own bike fitting. I look forward to my first pair of custom geometry trousers. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Jawgap wrote: »
    This has probably been asked and answered here before a dozen times, but what is the "best" cadence or can someone put a figure on "high"?

I usually spin at between 90 and 110 (aiming for 95) - is that too high or ok (please don't tell me it's too low!!!)?

I do occasionally crunch the big ring at low cadence for a bit of a workout, rather than for speed - should I just not do that?

Thanks

Apparently the Optimum cadence is 94

Deadly ! Sign me up to your newsletter man. Report back with a clothing review. Where else can one purchase decent clothes on line ? Ordinary clothes that is

That's looks like an excellent site - any problems with customs when the stuff arrives? Do you end up having to pay VAT and import duties?

quite fancy a suit and jeans.:)

I ordered my first pair last night;the experience was oddly similar to doing your own bike fitting. I look forward to my first pair of custom geometry trousers. :D

Compact, Standard Double, or triple leg for you sir?

I like that you can also get a reinforced gusset stitched it, or order some 4% lycra jeans to give that little bit of stretch.... will be ordering something tonight!

Back to the subject,

It hurts a little whenever a good bike comes squeacking by because of poor maintenance.

"Have you no respect?"

You didn't have high regards for the average car driver to start with, but they look even dumber when you cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Jawgap wrote: »
    I've a new one from last night -

If treasure domestic bliss, then don't bring your bike into the living room so you can work on it and watch the football at the same time.

Secondly, don't compound your error by saying "Well you do the ironing in here while watching the telly......"

She seems unreasonable - is she a ManU fan ? :D

I learned the importance of keeping the chain relatively straight i.e. don't use big ring/big ring , small ring/smallring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Back to the subject,

It hurts a little whenever a good bike comes squeacking by because of poor maintenance.

"Have you no respect?"

You didn't have high regards for the average car driver to start with, but they look even dumber when you cycle.
    Here here!

And that having your bike set up right so you don't hurt yourself is important!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

For those starting out, and unfit, cycling in a lower gear makes hardly any difference to my journey time, but saves the knees, and I arrive much fresher, and less tired. Works especially well against the wind or on a hill. Just more pleasant all round. Takes willpower to not be commuting racing every day and not be in the max gear as much as possible.

Limestone1 wrote: »
    She seems unreasonable - is she a ManU fan ? :D

I learned the importance of keeping the chain relatively straight i.e. don't use big ring/big ring , small ring/smallring

Completely unreasonable - it's not like I was degreasing the chain in the wash hand basin again. I just wanted to make a few adjustments and add a cadence sensor. I thought I was being thoughtful not bringing in the workstand - she gets to bring in the ironing board..........

.......Thank God she doesn't now I post here........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Classement is pronounced class-eh-meant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement