Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things i know now but didnt know when i started

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm curious about how the makeyourownjeans.com stuff worked out (quality, price, customs charges, delivery times, etc.).

Quality: great.
    Price: good (€55).
    Customs charges: none.
    Delivery times: about three weeks IIRC.
    etc: completely f'ed up the sizing. Not sure whether I measured wrong or they made it wrong, but coming from Mumbai means I can't really send them back. Now considering re-measuring and attempting a "double or quits" approach.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Was it just one measurement that seemed wrong or did the whole pants turn out to be pants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

What I learned this afternoon:

If kids pick up bits of glass and rocks - it's not to get them out of your path - it's to throw them at you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

el tonto wrote: »
    Was it just one measurement that seemed wrong or did the whole pants turn out to be pants.

The waist was very small. I have a 31.5" waist. I normally wear 32" waist jeans, but these actually have a 34" waist. The instructions said "don't specify what's on the label of your existing jeans, specify your actual waist measurement". So I did. And they were too small. So small that I would need to have my arse removed to fit in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Lumen wrote: »
    The waist was very small. I have a 31.5" waist. I normally wear 32" waist jeans, but these actually have a 34" waist. The instructions said "don't specify what's on the label of your existing jeans, specify your actual waist measurement". So I did. And they were too small. So small that I would need to have my arse removed to fit in them.

You may have a bigger arse than usual from cycling. Does it not say to measure with your existing trousers on ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

Oh, and I hadn't realised before that you can sweat from your eyelids :D

I'm cycling in thirty plus temperatures lately, and going mad from wiping my eyes with my sleeves every five minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭DePurpereWolf

That's what they invented headbands/bandanas for.
    Believe me, with glasses on those are mandatory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

That's what they invented headbands/bandanas for.
    Believe me, with glasses on those are mandatory.

I don't see how a headband will stop the sweat from my eyelids going into my eyes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

nitrogen wrote: »
    I don't see how a headband will stop the sweat from my eyelids going into my eyes...

Well you're eyelids don't actually sweat that much funnily enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Here's one,

If your mitts have a wee loop hole where a velcro tab hold them closed you'll get a 'tan stigmata' after a sunny cycle - and your friends will laugh when they see it

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 120 ✭✭ludermor

Great stuff guys, just started cycling to work this summer and trying to do a bit more in the evenign and weekends and getting lots of useful ( and not so!!) info here!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Glitterangel76

Since cycling this summer, I've learnt that:

- websites such as CRC and Wiggle are sent to test my credit card limit and possibly my willpower
    - that getting the road tyres instead of my MTB tyres are a god send...
    - that taking a place on the road instead of near the kerb at junctions, seems to stop motorists trying to side swipe me (or maybe it just a case of mind over matter)
    - this morning I learnt, Road Tyres v Luas Track = Big fall, sore knee, cut elbow and much slating from my collegues!! (in their defence after they checked I was ok and are all now emailing me pics of elbow pads :) )
    - that I would rather cycle an hour to get to work, then to use the Luas part of the way. (even with falling it still took me the same time as if I had got the Luas)

That despite the falls, the cuts and bruises, I wouldn't have it any other way! I'm hooked on my bike and the freedom it allows me. Now I just need to convert my friends! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

678110?$h20listthumb$
    The last word in degreasers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

678110?$h20listthumb$
    The last word in degreasers.

I've stopped using gunk, fine if you take the chain off but I am wary about putting it near a carbon frame. Pedros citrus degreaser is nice and easier to dispose of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

nitrogen wrote: »

Its your eye balls that are sweating. I couldn’t believe it either. Cycling is so tough it makes your eye balls sweat !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭tulachmhor

I've learned what a 'scrubber' is.
    And although I was blisfully unaware of this term,I'm certain that I've always had a profound disliking for them.

Also,training for a mountainbike endurance event using a road bike just to put the miles in,is woefully inadequate preperation.And mounting the MTB for the first time on the morning of the event is terribly shortsighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭Gers_punto

Things ive learned since ive started cycling......

When your fat theres no such thing as an "easy spin" :D:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Thanks to Lumen I now know what the term cottaging means.

Now I am extra careful to whom I'm giving the nod :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Dizraeligears

That white lycra shorts may look good on tanned Euro types,but when you have those Irish colour-of-an-uncooked-chicken legs,its a big no-no

• Advertisement
Advertisement