Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you date a Boardsie?

Options
  • 26-05-2009 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how many people who use Boards would consider dating or going out with another member?

Would you try it, or is it a big no-no for you? If so, why?

Personally, I think given the fact people now spend more time in work, have less time to socialize (in general), Internet Dating seems to have really taken off! I'd rather meet someone on Boards, than join some lame dating site and actively seek out someone :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Just wondering how many people who use Boards would consider dating or going out with another member?

Would you try it, or is it a big no-no for you? If so, why?

Personally, I think given the fact people now spend more time in work, have less time to socialize (in general), Internet Dating seems to have really taken off! I'd rather meet someone on Boards, than join some lame dating site and actively seek out someone :P
    Well people were only taking about this in another thread tonight , not so much dating but meeting for a pint .This is just another angle and another step in that direction .I suppose if your going to do dating sites then the interaction on here between people is a good guide as to what you might find out there ,as good or as bad as any dating site .I would have no problem myself but would advise care as you would anybody meeting anybody for first time . :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

Yeah I suppose I would if we hit it off. It would take me quite a while to actually meet up with them face to face though. A lot of messaging, texting & phonecalls would have to lead up to a date!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Latchy wrote: »
    I would have no problem myself but would advise care as you would anybody meeting anybody for first time...

Yeah, definitely!
    I haven't got the urge to meet up with anyone from Boards as of yet, I was just looking through the LL meet ups earlier and it got me thinking about how likely people were to consider dating someone they met on Boards!
    Maddison wrote: »
    Yeah I suppose I would if we hit it off. It would take me quite a while to actually meet up with them face to face though. A lot of messaging, texting & phonecalls would have to lead up to a date!

Totally agree with you! I wouldn't rule out meeting up with someone from Boards, but I'd definitely be cautious! Could try rooting through all their posts, to double check they're decent ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭shellz

I've dated people from the big bad world of the internet before - not from boards, but similar forum-based sites and I've also several very good friends that I've met online. I didn't use the forums as a place to meet friends/date people, but I wouldn't see any issue with it. There's no taboo around it anymore, the advent of social networking has broken down that whole "you're meeting someone from TEH INTERNET!!!!1" attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I know a lot of boards couples. Sure some crashed and burned, but others are flourishing. Such is life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I would have no problem myself but would advise care as you would anybody meeting anybody for first time . :)

True, but there are pretty simple measures you can take to ensure you'll be safe.

Personally, if I hit it off with someone I'd be more than willing to meet up and give it a try.

Yeah you could think your on to a winner until you find yourself sitting next to Norman Bates!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Yeah you could think your on to a winner until you find yourself sitting next to Norman Bates!

Yeah, because weirdos only exist on the internet. You cant bump into them in night clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Well going on the fact that I've only met one so far, no.

But in general I wouldn't have a problem with it. People are people regardless of the medium over which you meet them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Ah, Master Bates. I know him well! :pac: :D

• Advertisement

Galvasean(sp?)I never stated that you would only meet Norman Bates on the internet if you read my 1st comment you would see that I had stated that yes I would date someone I met on Boards but there would be a lot of getting to know them beforehand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Personally, if I hit it off with someone I'd be more than willing to meet up and give it a try.
    liah wrote: »
    People are people regardless of the medium over which you meet them.

Totally agree with you guys.
    shellz wrote: »
    There's no taboo around it anymore, the advent of social networking has broken down that whole "you're meeting someone from TEH INTERNET!!!!1" attitude.

I think that attitude still exists, being honest. I've never looked to meet someone online, but it's happened a few times - via Myspace etc. I met a guy through an application on Facebook, chatted to him a good bit. I spoke about him to a few friends and one of them, a guy, was very against it - he never said it openly to me, but he asked another friend to "keep an eye" on me and told them to make sure I didn't meet up with the guy, in case he was a weirdo and attacked me.
    Galvasean wrote: »
    Yeah, because weirdos only exist on the internet. You can bump into them in night clubs.

This is definitely my attitude - You can meet weirdos anywhere! There seems to be this massive prejudice about meeting people online, rather than in a club/pub/ "normal way"

To be honest, I think it's more risky, meeting up with someone you drunkenly encountered on a night out, rather than someone you've spoken to online for a few weeks.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    True, but there are pretty simple measures you can take to ensure you'll be safe.

Indeed , making sure somebody knows were your going and even having somebody go with you is ok .As long as you dont dissapear off the rader .Lots of real life weirdos out there anyway

Or his sister kathy bates ( the one who kidnapped that guy in the film )

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Its already been said here, people are people...we are all different, some nice some not so nice.

As for my own answer, sure...why not:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Or his sister kathy bates ( the one who kidnapped that guy in the film )

Has there even been a non-psychopathetic Bates?:pac:

I've met a few people from boards.ie and those that I met were quite nice people...it's just the same as meeting people through any other format really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

I met my girlfriend at the halloween beers. Hadn't a clue who she was(on further inspection we posted alot around eachother but never chatted) so she was all new to me.

When we were introduced,it was just random person style(i even thought she was a guy because of her name,bloody hell,great introduction.she was even at the first noc beers/my 21st)

We chatted a bit after the pub in the fast food place,and i really liked her. Chatted online afterwards(she said she bebo stalked me :P) and met up again soon afterwards. I feel sorry for her,i was such a clueless dope when we were chatting and started meeting.

Soon afterwards we started dating and we're going strong six months later (next friday is 6 months since we officially got together).

I dunno about searching for someone through boards,like knowingly looking for someone to be with,but the meeting at a boards event kinda by accident worked for us. I don't think i've ever been happier :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I think the bigger question is would a boardsie date me?:(

Ha ha ha ha ha.

Seriously though,there is no reason why I wouldnt.

The only potential stumbling block would be of it all went tits up would a flame war consisting of personal issue threads such as

from her

"does size matter"
    "he forgot our anniversary"

and from him

"she always has a headache"
    "she wont let me go on the batter with my friends"

ensue.

Ponderific.

I've met a few people from boards.ie and those that I met were quite nice people...it's just the same as meeting people through any other format really.

More pressure when you're meeting to go on a date though and some would get cold feet and chicken out. I agree with you though, there shouldn't be any reason to be more nervous than meeting them through any other format.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,444 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

There's always the risks of the old internet pervs though that you don't get in a face to face situation: it's very hard for a 50 year old man to blend into the crowd in a teen disco (or whatever you whipper-snappers call them these days).

• Advertisement

kowloon wrote: »
    There's always the risks of the old internet pervs though that you don't get in a face to face situation: it's very hard for a 50 year old man to blend into the crowd in a teen disco (or whatever you whipper-snappers call them these days).

It'd be pretty hard to disguise that once you meet someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

kowloon wrote: »

With some of the young pervert yokes you see and hear in discos (both male and female), an internet pervert might be a welcome addition for some.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 gmitStu

I actively avoid people from boards if I think I know them in real life. TBH I actively avoid people in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,444 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

With some of the young pervert yokes you see and hear in discos (both male and female), an internet pervert might be a welcome addition for some.:pac:

True enough, perverts are an interesting bunch. I was playing with the idea of writing something about them and their way of life, possibly a musical, with elements of Night of the Living Dead and Assault of Precinct 13 only with perverts instead of zombies and helpless orphans instead of the good cops. Was thinking of calling it fiddler on the roof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

I met himself on boards:)

happy??? extremely *smug*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

People on boards are a millions times than people you'd meet in real life. People from real life are shíte..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

yeah i would but it's never going to happen....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 gmitStu

creggy wrote: »
    People on boards are a millions times better than people you'd meet in real life. People from real life are shíte..

FYP, and not even in a sarcastic way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yup, seeing as pretty much everyone I have met on boards I have got on with very well. I think I would have to meet them through having a general interest in something on here (movies, drama, exercise, etc.), rather than PM-ing someone because I liked the look of their photo on one of those "stick your face here" threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

I already do. Luckily we never frequent the same threads or fora. I never tell "real people" my username though(apart from him obviously) - I've written waaaaaaaaaaaaay to much sh*t on here!!! :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement