Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What specs would I need to run every league in FM 09

Options
  • 26-05-2009 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭

Just out of interest, and how much of that could be achieved through an external hard drive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

I run every single league in the game and it pushes my PC to the limit.

1TB Hard drive
    8GB RAM
    295GTX Graphics Card
    Quad Core 9450 CPU.

To run all the leagues together requires a super computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I'm not too well up on computer terms to be honest, is that something I could achieve on my laptop, and if so how much would I be looking at spending?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

DSB wrote: »
    I'm not too well up on computer terms to be honest, is that something I could achieve on my laptop,

No, Ardscoil has 8gb of RAM, I'd say your laptop has about 2gb, max

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

I'm not too well up on computer terms to be honest, is that something I could achieve on my laptop, and if so how much would I be looking at spending?

I don't think any type of laptop could do it. I have a top of the range PC and it really pushes it to the limit.

It does result in a better gaming though. I'm only doing it for this current challenge because it makes lower league management a bit easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Just out of interest, and how much of that could be achieved through an external hard drive?

nothing.

external hard drives are just for storage not performance (you can supposedly use USB drives to increase vista's performance, but i've never seen any noticeable performance from it, and 4GB is the max it uses anyway).

the problem is the latency (time to access the data) on an external. larger storage systems take longer to access. You're PC actually has many different types of memory to compensate for this, and to create something a pipeline to CPU.

the CPUs caches (internal local memory, often with 2 or 3 levels) are the quickest to access, but are very very small, the higher levels being a couple of MB at most.

RAM is the next.

your internal hard drives are next.

and USB drives are the slowest.

(you'll need to google for exact speeds, my memory is lacking)

in a very very simplistic overview, these form a heirarchy that is designed to get memory to the CPU as quick as possible. so for a lot of applications, you're RAM is (arguably) the most important as large amounts prevents it having to store data temporarily to the hard drives, but even a lot of RAM can be bottle necked by a poor CPU.

(note: graphics intensive games are different though, in this case most of the computation is done on the graphics card, so it's the graphics card and amount of memory it can store that's important.)

the best commerically available is something like the i7 extreme (large caches and 8 hardware threads for lots of calculations) overclocked to the hilt with about 12GB DDR3 RAM (slightly faster than DDR2) or more (you can supposedly go up to 24GB on most boards, but i doubt they could really handle it properly). that could probably run it for you, but you're PC will be sweating. and not to mention the CPU alone costs €1000 :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Grand I'll forget the idea so haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Forgive my ignorance, but given that FM 09 is a 32-bit app, surely the most it could address would be 3gb-4gb of RAM anyway?

Advertisement