Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help for dog

Options
  • 26-05-2009 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

hi i need some advice. my friend has recently adopted a rescue dog from an animal shelter she is a yorkie terrier cross, we think shre was a stray because when she was brought in pregnant she was in v bad shape extremely long nails and her coat was bald in places. now she has a loving home but is causing alot of problems.first id like to say she is walked at least twice a day for at least an hour and gets lots of attenchion but maybe all the attenchion could be spoiling her i feel. the problems are she constantly winges when u are not paying her attenchion. if u are talking to someone else she cries and barks non stop till u rub her. the barking is constant. she has to sleep down stairs because for some reason everytime she is on carpet she goes to the toilet on it but is house trained its just with carpet. and when she is down stairs at night she barks non stop.she has also torn all the wood off the door trying to get out of the kitchen up stairs at night. she has a walk before bed and plenty of toys. my friend has ended up sleeping on the couch a few times just to get a good sleep. u could be sitting on the couch and unless the two ppl who are on the couch rub her she will bark and cry till u do.she is constantly looking for attenchion every minute of the day. this is not healthy this has been going on for 6 weeks she is about3 years old.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Fair play to your friend for taking her on, I only just rehomed a lap dog I thought I'd never be able to rehome because of similer probloms, I hate to say it but if all else fails she should have a think about getting a second dog, my one paired up with a kitten and I could leave him alone all I wanted then, but most of the problems were insecurity.

It takes time for dogs like that to realise that the food is always there and there are always plenty of pets and hugs to go around, it can take a far while for them to come to terms with their new home.

I would give him lots of hugs and attention when he was quiet and not be asking for it, just to show him I was thinking of him even when he wasn't looking for attention, I've used the dog whisperer books (Jan Fennell) to calm and bring most of the worst dogs around that I've rescued before training them, I have to say as much as some of it seems odd it works and very well in most cases.

Time and patients are the most important thing in this situation, I usually keep any animal dog or cat with me 24/7 until they are dying to get away from me and are happy to have their own space and things just seem to fall in place from their, not knowing were she came from, my advice for her is to treat the dog as if she has never lived indoors before and have her take the dog with her about the house showing her everything from the radio to the washing machine and showing her that nothing hurts, that everything in the garden is fun and so fort. Rotine, rotine and more rotine is also great as they are good at telling when it's time to eat and go for walks this also helps the dog to know what to expect and should calm her down a little, same rotine in the words she uses, like go toilet should be kept only for that, not go toilet one day and go pee the next and bathroom time the following day, she needs to keep everything simple and straight forward so the dog knows whats coming next and what is also expected of her, rotine alone should help.

Make sure your friend also has a place for her dog to retreat to, her own bed some were quiet, at the minute I'd take a bet that your friend is always expecting the dog to go off on one and keeps starring at her or antisapating the the dog will bark for attention, your friend may need to stop looking at her and try to forget the dog is even in the room as dogs tend to sence these things, so she may need to calm herself down so the dog doesn't pick up on it.

I hope your friend can work it out it's a great thing she's doing for the poor little thing.

Advertisement