Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reality TV Show of the Week #4: Survivor

Options
  • 26-05-2009 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭

I've invented a drinking game around what Jeff Probst says during Survivor. If he says any of the following phrases, you take a drink....

"Wanna see what you're playing for?"
    "Head back to camp, I have nothing for you"
    "Immunity, back up for grabs."
    "... getting your first look at X. XX voted off at the last tribal council."
    "You cannot vote for X. Everyone else is fair game".
    "If anyone has the hidden immunity idol, now is the time to play it."
    "Its time to vote."
    "I'll go tally the votes."
    "Your tribe has spoken."

There are probably more..... if it was a drinking game, you'd be pretty pished after the hour. :)

Anyway, Survivor has been around since 2000, and thanks to a guy called Richard Hatch, CBS had an instant hit on their hands. He played people against each other, formed multiple alliances, and ultimately outwitted, outplayed and outlasted everyone to win a million dollars. Every season since then, alliances, backstabbing, double crossing and strategy have formed the backbone of this show and makes it very entertaining to watch.

So most people who've seen survivor knows how it works. Up to 20 people dropped in a remote location are split into 2 tribes. They compete against each other for rewards and immunity. Every episode ends with tribal council where one person (from the tribe that lost the immunity challenge) is booted off the show. Around day 20, the 2 tribes merge into 1 and individual immunity comes into play. The person who wins that is safe, and one of the the others gets the boot. When it gets down to about 10 people left, the people voted off land on a jury, who'll decide on a winner from the final 2 left standing at the end.

Its a formula that hasn't deviated much in the last 18 seasons, because it works. Every 8th season, they mix it up a bit. Season 8 was the all-stars season, where favourites from the first 7 seasons competed against each other. It was fun (and probably my favourite season) because everyone knew how the game was played. Season 16 was fans vs. favourites, which put a team of Survivor veterans against their biggest fans.

The latest season just finished up a few weeks ago in the States. No spoilers here since it hasn't aired here yet, but one of the contestants (a guy called Coach) is a dead cert for the next all-star line-up.

Survivor is one of the longest running reality shows, and shows no signs of slowing down. Season 19 will be in Samoa in September.

Advertisement