Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help for dog

Options
  • 26-05-2009 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

hi i need some advice. my friend has recently adopted a rescue dog from an animal shelter she is a yorkie terrier cross, we think shre was a stray because when she was brought in pregnant she was in v bad shape extremely long nails and her coat was bald in places. now she has a loving home but is causing alot of problems.first id like to say she is walked at least twice a day for at least an hour and gets lots of attenchion but maybe all the attenchion could be spoiling her i feel. the problems are she constantly winges when u are not paying her attenchion. if u are talking to someone else she cries and barks non stop till u rub her. the barking is constant. she has to sleep down stairs because for some reason everytime she is on carpet she goes to the toilet on it but is house trained its just with carpet. and when she is down stairs at night she barks non stop.she has also torn all the wood off the door trying to get out of the kitchen up stairs at night. she has a walk before bed and plenty of toys. my friend has ended up sleeping on the couch a few times just to get a good sleep. u could be sitting on the couch and unless the two ppl who are on the couch rub her she will bark and cry till u do.she is constantly looking for attenchion every minute of the day. this is not healthy this has been going on for 6 weeks she is about3 years old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Ahhhh :) It's great your friend rehomed a dog. It sounds like the poor thing was starved for attention. Now it sees what a loving family home is like and just wants the attention, belly rubs and cuddles all the time.

Has your friend considered obedience classes?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

Hi, I'm not an expert but a few small things

- pls use paragraphs....so much easier to read & understand
    - 6 weeks is a short time to change 3 years of neglect. She needs to show the dog they are in a safe place & they will get load of love and attention, but not just when she demands it
    - from what I've read up :

*keep a tight routine (food, walk, treats etc) so the dog can start to feel secure in whats is happening
    *consistancy - training words should be the same, brought out for walks at the same time, same tone of voice, don't feed from the table, etc
    *training needs to be practiced....every day (believe me, this is hard....but do your best even if it's only for a few mins in a diferent environment)
    *don't spoil - reward. Make her work for EVERYTHING! Sit before a walk, lie down before a meal. So even if there is an odd treat going....gether to do something for it.....sit, paw, down,

best of luck

Advertisement