Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC Radio 4 & 5 on FM

• 26-05-2009 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I used to get a good reception on BBC 4 & 5 at night in Dublin. A while ago, they just disappeared. I was surprised at the time to even get them, does anyone know where they've gone?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What frequencies? Cos fivelive on "FM" is only possible via NTL/UPS cable or Satellite. Its broadcast on MW in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

yeah, it's possible you were near a cable break, as 5Live isn't broadcast on FM even in the UK, as Mike says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

Hi mike65,
    I'm not sure exactly, around 94-97 for both of them, I had to do some delicate tweeking on the walkman to get them. I am not imagining things, they were there...
    I also used to be able to get WRN, World Radio Network, but this seems to be gone aswell. Night time Radio is a lot more uninteresting without them.
    Is there anyone else who used to get these stations or do I have a 'magic walkman'? ;)

lastlaugh

Hi Lastlaugh, the radio signal is carried by cable for UPC/NTL customers. It's possible that there was a break in a cable somewhere near you and the signal was leaking out. I've heard BBCR4 on FM if the conditions are just so, but it's never sustained. However, as 5Live don't broadcast on FM, a cable break is your likely candidate. it might have been fixed since.

thanks for the explanation tbh.
    I thought I read somewhere before that it was the BBC's mandate, and a measure of it's sucess, to broadcast to as many places in FM as they can.
    (Although I could be imagining things this time!)

Damn those cable break fixing people!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Hi lastlaugh.

DAB was always the FM "fix" for poor MW reception on 5 Live.

Back in the 80's, when the FM band was empty, it was decided that Radios 1-4 would be on FM, whilst sport stayed on what was then BBC Radio 2's MW frequency (and Test Match Special cricket on Radio 3's MW frequency, 1215 khz)

The original Radio 5 was built out of the need to cater for kids and other niche stuff, and give radio sport a proper home. As it was seen as niche, it was give the MW frequencies of Radio 2, 693 and 909.

Once the BBC's FM network was complete (Radio 1 in the early 90's) Maggie and co sold off the spare frequencies to the new proposed Independent National Radio stations. Classic FM got the prized FM frequencies of 100-102 (to much surprise), Talk Radio got Radio 1's old MW frequencies of 1053/1089, and Virgin Radio got 1215.

Once the BBC decided to create a news station (after the success of Scud FM, which was BBC Radio 4 on FM), they needed a home, and decided that the original Radio 5 would go, and 5 Live would replace it. To become the station that we have now.

5 Live is carried overnight on FM on BBC Local Radio in England, as well as Radio Scotland, Cymru and Ulster.

Hi DMC,

Thanks for the background info.
    I used to listen to 'Ian Collins & the creatures of the night' and James Whale on Talk Radio, much more entertaining than Father Micheal Cleary or the other chancers on FM104!!
    5 Live is great though and I do miss it...

Is it possible that I was picking up the FM signals from Ulster? (I do remember hearing 'Nolan' at night!

Just to add I have the NTL/UPC radio stations dispite having cancelled and gone FTA/DIY attic aerial thanks to my neighbours leaky cable so its not hard to get free it seems!

Its possible that your neighbour has cancelled his/her contract or you might just need to run a length of wire skywards and tweak it you may find the signal again.

5 Live only airs after Radio Ulster closedown at 1am, so Stephen Nolan before that would indicate, like what the others said, leaky NTL cable was how you got it on FM.

Grand stuff, thanks all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

lastlaugh wrote: »
    Grand stuff, thanks all...

Did you ever consider a satellite receiver?

No Greenman, I've never really considered one.
    But if there are small battery powered portable ones I reckon I'ld get one.
    I'll get Googleing, but if you could recomend any that would be good.

mike65, I don't know if a neighbour had any contract cancelled!

Another question while I'm here!

What is the best Radio to get for the most worldwide stations, ease of use and without any set up hassle?

What is the best Radio to get for the most worldwide stations, ease of use and without any set up hassle?

you mean like a shortwave radio? Or do you have internet at home? Check out the Internet Radio thread for advice on that..

You'll get feck all on Shortwave in Europe nowadays.

Another question while I'm here!

Yes as mentioned I think an internet radio is the one for you.

Hmmm, I'ld rather not listen to the radio through my PC or laptop.

Would I get the BBC World Service & 5 Live etc. with a satelite reciever or DAB radio, I'ld be willing to spend a few quid for something worthwhile.

Your advice is appreciated!

Internet radio, not stream on PC

Asus_internet_radio-704787.gif

You'll need a router to feed the signal from the modem to the radio, DAB is useless for UK radio here unless on the border, satellite is only okay - the box needs to be on, to change the channel the tv needs to be on etc.

mike65 wrote: »
    Internet radio, not stream on PC

Asus_internet_radio-704787.gif

You'll need a router to feed the signal from the modem to the radio, DAB is useless for UK radio here unless on the border, satellite is only okay - the box needs to be on, to change the channel the tv needs to be on etc.

Or buy a sky box off ebay and hook it up to the dish with a dual or quad lnb and connect it to your hi fi.I printed out the list of radio channel numbers but after a while you tend to remember the ones that you might use most often,e.g. 0105 (5Live),0108 (talksport) etc

Or, an FTA satellite receiver that has an LED display panel.

satellite is only okay - to change the channel the tv needs to be on etc.

Not true.

Re internet radio look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eux-YVRyzh4 The portable Roberts internet radio might be of interest to you.

• Advertisement

How do you know what yóu're listening too ;)

How do you know what yóu're listening too ;)

On a FTA receiver, set up say RTE Radio 1 CH 1
    2FM CH 2
    Talksport Ch 3
    BBC Radio 4 Ch 4
    BBC Radio 5 Ch 5
    Newstalk Ch 6

Dose that make sence?

On a $ky box all the radio channels are numbered so just key in the channel required. If you work with the Irish setup and you want say BBC Radio 5 set it up that its the first channel on the other channels option, then press Services,7,Select and there's the said radio channel.

Re internet radio look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eux-YVRyzh4 The portable Roberts internet radio might be of interest to you.

This is most definitely of interest to me :D

I think I'll be investing in an internet radio, thanks all!

This is most definitely of interest to me :D

I think I'll be investing in an internet radio, thanks all!

Have a look at this thread and tell us what you do. I'm well served with my setup here but if I was starting off and did not want to go down the satellite road I'd opt for an internet radio.

Check out NPR its the BBC of the USA really interesting plus WRN and good luck.

One problem with internet radio is that football match commentaries are blocked on 5 Live and Talksport but available on satellite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 TG859

rte ftw

Advertisement