Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

David Moyes LMA Manager of the year

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

right. going by your logic -

Liverpool spent the 2nd/3rd most in the last 10 years, but were the most succesful club in the 70s and 80s

You could also translate it into Liverpool being the 3rd highest spenders over the period 92/93 - 2008/2009 with no league titles won in that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

legs11 wrote: »
    The same Liverpool team who couldn't beat the Everton reserve team in the FA Cup this year? :rolleyes:

Arteta, Lecsott ,Yobo and Piennear would walk into any side. Unless you cant see their real value behind rose tinted glasses

Indeed. Everton have 4 players who would get into a world 11 team. Anyone who disputes is blinded by biased anti Everton goggles.

Anyway well done Moyes. I would of picked Hodgson instead, but Moyes is a good choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Take into account our disastor ridden start of the season. Losses against BBurn and Pompey. Also a late equalizer by Arsenal at GP and Villas flukey last minute goal. Thats an extra 10points which would have us in the CL position
    Ifs and ands don't really matter. In all fairness you only got two points from us(Blackburn) the season before so you are talking about a one point difference in seasons. Similarly with Aston Villa you have only had one point form both games in each of the last three seasons, and over the previous five seasons against Arsenal you have managed to pick up 7 points.

If Liverpool had managed to beat Stoke, Hull, Portsmouth. Its the same thing really. Its part of the game.

Anyways back to Moyes. I really don't mind him getting it, a bit like Giggs with the POY award, he deserves it moreso for what he has consistently done rather than just one season. Definitely Hodgson had a good shout for it as well, and imo Harry Redknapp for the way he turned Spurs season around.

well there are several reason why Moyes won it

he guided the team 5th despite a horrid start and the team not finding their feet until December

17 clean sheets is the best since the 80s and southall was at the helm

he took them to the final of the fa cup beating all 3 of the top 5 teams on the way

and more importantly, he coped with a ridiculous injury list which has been well documented and resulted in midfielders playing up front for months on end

Hodgson has worked wonders at Fulham also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Arteta, Lecsott ,Yobo and Piennear would walk into any side. Unless you cant see their real value behind rose tinted glasses

Yes because Pep Guardiola would gladly make room in his Barcelona side for Joesph fcuking Yobo.

Daysha wrote: »
    Yes because Pep Guardiola would gladly make room in his Barcelona side for Joesph fcuking Yobo.

lol

mighty Barca are not in the premier league when I last checked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

the best keeper in the PL
    Lmfao, please explain how Howard is the best keeper in the premier league?
    Reina has 20 clean sheets,Cech has 19 clean sheets,Van Der Sar has 21 clean sheets and Howard has 17.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

he guided the team to a horrid start

:)

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    Lmfao, please explain how Howard is the best keeper in the premier league?
    Reina has 20 clean sheets,Cech has 19 clean sheets,Van Der Sar has 21 clean sheets and Howard has 17.
    LMFAO at you thinking clean sheets have anything to do with who the best goalkeeper is.

I rate him the best in the PL this season myself, with a few others from clubs with not so many clean sheets up there near the top as well. We all know how good Reina, Van der Sar and Cech are but imo Howard is ahead of them now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

eagle eye wrote: »
    LMFAO at you thinking clean sheets have anything to do with who the best goalkeeper is.

I rate him the best in the PL this season myself, with a few others from clubs with not so many clean sheets up there near the top as well. We all know how good Reina, Van der Sar and Cech are but imo Howard is ahead of them now.
    I was just stating who had more more clean sheets as i honestly don't think howard is the best gk in the premier league.Could you please care to explain how he is the best?

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    I was just stating who had more more clean sheets as i honestly don't think howard is the best gk in the premier league.Could you please care to explain how he is the best?
    The way he manages his defence and his area and most importantly consistency. Then the ability to pull off the stunning saves as well. Howard has it all now.

They guy has been incredible this season everytime I've seen him, you hear guys getting credit in the Everton defence but a lot of that is down to the goalkeeper as well.

I'm not an Everton fan by the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Really hope he gets the Chelsea job for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

CHD wrote: »
    Really hope he gets the Chelsea job for some reason.

because he's a great manager maybe??

it's ok, you can say it ;)

SlickRic wrote: »
    because he's a great manager maybe??

it's ok, you can say it ;)
    He is. A top manager. But i dunno if he would do well at Chelsea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

:eek:

Phil Brown has his own virtual LMA Manager of the league accolade on his mantel piece already.

must be bronze to match his look

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

well there are several reason why Moyes won it

he guided the team 5th despite a horrid start and the team not finding their feet until December

Who's fault was it they got off to a horrid start? Rafa benitez? I love the way you dismiss Phil Brown as being a rubbish manager for the horrid run half the season but when Everton have a horrid start and wait until december to find their feet you use it as a reason for Moyes being deserving of the LMA.

I have to say Legs, you are by far the worst ever poster I have seen on the soccer forum, and considering the amount of clowns who post here regularly that is an achievement that is far far more impressive then Moye's winning the Manager of the year award so a big congraulations from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Well done Moyes, he's proven time and time again to be a top class manager,thoroughly deserved.

On a side note legs11 you need to get some juice into you and come on down man,get a hold of yourself it's embarrassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mcowhey

at the risk of gettin abuse i think roy hodgson deserved more than any1 else

mcowhey wrote: »
    I agree with ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Brien

mcowhey wrote: »

He deserves an honourable mention, but Moyes was a great manager considering the serious lack of resources.

Best of luck to everton for the FA Cup (from a MUFC fan hehehe)

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »

Wait, Aren't Everton still in contention for a trophy this season?

Who's fault was it they got off to a horrid start? Rafa benitez? I love the way you dismiss Phil Brown as being a rubbish manager for the horrid run half the season but when Everton have a horrid start and wait until december to find their feet you use it as a reason for Moyes being deserving of the LMA.

I have to say Legs, you are by far the worst ever poster I have seen on the soccer forum, and considering the amount of clowns who post here regularly that is an achievement that is far far more impressive then Moye's winning the Manager of the year award so a big congraulations from me.

I dismissed brown for being a buffoon, like most 'normal' supporters admit to.

Moyes is indeed a great manager, he wouldn't have got the award three times if he wasn't, thats one more time than SAF ...

you can think what you like of me, im not bothered.:o

Wait, Aren't Everton still in contention for a trophy this season?

This is 'Sir' Alan here. Owner of the biggest pair of rose tinted glasses known to man.

If anything the laugh is on Liverpool this season.

Brien wrote: »
    He deserves an honourable mention, but Moyes was a great manager considering the serious lack of resources.

Best of luck to everton for the FA Cup (from a MUFC fan hehehe)

I did give Roy a mention and wouldn't begrudge him the slightest, Fulham are an admirable club run by a very decent chairman also.[which is more than can be said for alot of teams in the top flight]

Plus their petite ground has a better atmosphere than most of the new horrific stadia that have propped up over the last decade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Helix wrote: »
    moyes took over everton in 2002, since then their spending has been:

£8,250,000 in 02
    £2,450,000 in 03
    £11,250,000 in 04
    £27,600,000 in 05
    £7,000,000 in 06
    £19,250,000 in 08
    £15,000,000 in 09
    £90.8m total

villa, for the same time period was:

£2,250,000 in 02
    £9,000,000 in 03
    £2,350,000 in 04
    £11,000,000 in 05
    £24,650,000 in 06
    £8,750,000 in 07
    £48,400,000 in 08
    £104.8m total

now, if it wasnt for a splurge and a half last season, everton would have spent far in excess of villa over those years. if moyes is on a shoestring, then villa havent been too much better off

and in that time, how much did both clubs bring in from sales?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Everton:

08/09 - net spend 4.5 million.
    07/08 - net spend 10.5 million
    06/07 - net spend 4 million
    05/06 - net spend 25.1 million
    04/05 - net spend -20.2 million
    03/04 - net spend 1.55million
    02/03 - net spend 8.25 million
    01/02 - net spend 975,000

Total: 34.675

Villa

08/09 - net spend 45.9 million.
    07/08 - net spend -1.25 million
    06/07 - net spend 21.6 million
    05/06 - net spend 7.45 million
    04/05 - net spend 200,000
    03/04 - net spend 8.7 million
    02/03 - net spend -2.75 million
    01/02 - net spend 11.75

Total 91.6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

event wrote: »
    and in that time, how much did both clubs bring in from sales?

the rooney sale perverts that ever so slightly tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I would have all those players over Liverpools players bar Gerrard and Torres. Liverpool also have no young players coming through. Everton have Gosling (Liverpool should remember his name) Rodwell, James Wallace, Jose Baxter, Agard and the list goes on.
    Yobo ahead of any of Skrtel, Agger or Carra – no chance.
    Arteta ahead of Alonso – no chance
    Lescott ahead of Aurelio – not for me, but some may disagree

They may be good young players of which you speak (imo only Rodwell looks top class out of them), but you have absolutely no idea about the youth setup at Liverpool or the players coming through. You’ve probably already seen and heard of Insua who I reckon will be top class. Watch out for names like Nemeth, Pacheco, Dalla Valle, Amoo and others before you start spouting nonsense.

The same Liverpool team who couldn't beat the Everton reserve team in the FA Cup this year? :rolleyes:

None of them would get in Liverpool’s team.
    So you knocked us out of the FA cup. But what about this – we only have two good players (to Everton’s half dozen plus), they only played just over a dozen league games together and we still finished on 86 points. That’s 24 ahead of Everton by the way.
    You could also translate it into Liverpool being the 3rd highest spenders over the period 92/93 - 2008/2009 with no league titles won in that time.

You can also say that Liverpool’s squad is the 5th most expensive in the PL, but we’re the 2nd best team on this season’s form

Yeah we’ve been a real joke.
    Only 86 points.
    Only 2 defeats.
    Only 5 defeats in our last 77 games.
    Imagine what we’d achieve if Yobo was in our team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Take into account our disastor ridden start of the season. Losses against BBurn and Pompey. Also a late equalizer by Arsenal at GP and Villas flukey last minute goal. Thats an extra 10points which would have us in the CL position

Now I have great affection for Everton, BUT -

take into account Villa's disasterous finish, our losses to Stoke, Newcastle and Middlesboro, draw at home to Pompey, our draw with Arsenal when we played them off the park, our last gasp loss at Man U, drawing with Stoke when 2 up with 5 minutes left, losing at home to a poor Spurs team, losing at Eastlands. We also had a peno appeal against Man U at home that wasn't given.

We could have been champions :rolleyes:

The other thing I forgot to add, if United win tonight then this award was given out too early and should be Alex Fergusons.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    The other thing I forgot to add, if United win tonight then this award was given out too early and should be Alex Fergusons.

true. is it not just a PL award though?

true. is it not just a PL award though?
    I honestly don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Ferguson should have got it IMO, a double treble - no contest really.

Moyes and Hodgson did well.

Everton were more or less where they were last season, so no great improvement or loss in the league.

Fulham have been solid, the mediocrity of mid table teams have flattered them though. They only scored 39 goals, one of the lowest in the league, drew 11 and lost 13. Good achievement 17th to 7th, but with all things considered not manager of the year stuff.

Boggles wrote: »
    Ferguson should have got it IMO, a double treble - no contest really.

double treble?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Ye well done to Moyles, a good season after the start they had. Hodgson would have been my choice for 2nd place, a great season for him too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Boggles wrote: »
    Everton were more or less where they were last season, so no great improvement or loss in the league.
    By that logic Ferguson doesn't deserve it either. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Helix wrote: »
    the rooney sale perverts that ever so slightly tbh

Not really - it is likely that they would not have spent that 27million, or not spent close to that if they had not sold Rooney to United. They sold a player and used the proceeds to fund player purchases....isn't that what is supposed to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Congrats to Moyes. I think we are the 5th best team in the PL at the moment and with some better luck with injuries next season we might go one better. He has done incredible work with very little.

We finished 5th because Villa's awful finish balanced out our awful start. It was theirs to lose and they did! We were 12 points behind or something at christmas (I'm not arsed digging out tables so don't hold me to it!)

Hodgson has done a fantastic job and I wouldn't have been a bit surprised had he won this award but I think Moyes ultimately got the nod for his triumph despite injuries woes and reaching the FA cup final dumping some terrific opposition on the way (Macclesfield)

3rd award in 7 seasons. In Moyes we trust.

PS We are not in a better position than Liverpool (who also had a terrific season) much as we'd like to think! Its enough for me at the moment to know that Everton are moving in the right direction. Putting our neighbours in their rightful place (below us) will have to wait :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I didn't think Moyes would win it. I thought Ferguson would have to be honest.

Anyway congrats David Moyes , I am sure we would prefer to win Saturdays game then the LMA award!!!;)

• Advertisement

wouldn't go that far now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

theCzar wrote: »
    ...Moyes ultimately got the nod for his triumph despite injuries woes and reaching the FA cup final.....
    I think that combined with finishing 5th is what swung it for him.

It's the norm for any team (outside of the top 4) to only do well in either the cup or the league, Moyes has done both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

so net spend for moyes has been £35million over 8 years, around 4.5 million per year

thats amazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Moyes thoroughly deserved this - fifth in the PL and in an FA Cup Final with an injury-ravaged team - fantastic. He has been doing this consistently for the past no. of years as well with a show-string budget.

Hodgson is the other stand-out candidate this year. Ferguson ?? - He has won the PL and the Carling Cup - great achievement but with the resources he has not enough to merit Manager of the Year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

legg11, I just want to thank you for your contributions to this thread so far. Your dillusional views just kept making me smile. I actually laughed at one stage.

Back to the thread, and well done to David Moyes. Personnally I'd have given the award to Hodgson, but I can't begrudge Moyes one bit. He has constructed a very hard working, well organised team that are hard to beat and can find the net too.

IIRC SAF said a few weeks ago that he would like to see Moyes take over at Man U when Fergie finally retires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

guess Moyes won it for the cup run, but imo Hodgson, Pulis and, dare I say it, Brown acheived more over the course of the season.

Moyes and Ferguson's achievements are great this season, but their base has been there for the past few seasons. They didn't have to completely overhaul a club like Hodgson, or get Championship players playing up to premier league standard a la Pulis and Brown (for that short period :)).

My personal order would have been
    1. Hodgson
    2. Pulis
    3. Ferguson
    4. Brown
    5. Moyes

I wonder what are the chances of Moyes having won this through second preferences? Managers vote for their top 3 don't they? I can see number ones being split between Hodgson and Fergy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I personally think Roy Hodgson would have deserved it equally given what he has done, but we lost Yakubu for the majority of the season, without a recognised striker we performed admirably with Cahill and Fellaini up front. We then lost Arteta and still we would not be defeated, culminating with the loss of our most influencial defender Jagielka, for the tail end, plus the injuries to fringe players along the way. In that respect Moyes has "managed" (see what i did there?) his squad more admirably than the others, take Ronaldo, Rooney and Vidic out for large parts, or Gerrard, Torres and Carragher out of the top two sides and they wouldnt win the league, take it out of threadbare Everton, and we still finish 5th. And the fact it, the media hate us for it, yet it is what drives us on.

Voltwad wrote: »
    the media hate us for it

eh what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

For Me Moyes Would Have Been 3rd Choice
    Hodgson - Fulham
    Pulis - Stoke
    Moyes - Everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

SlickRic wrote: »
    eh what?

Haven't you noticed the anti Everton agenda on MOTD? Setanta's Tim Sherwood has a vendetta against us and we only usually get about 4 seconds on The Premiership highlights unless we play one of the Sky 4. Whenever we do well we're deemed overachievers although in my opinion we've a fine squad of players that should be in Europe

Voltwad wrote: »
    Haven't you noticed the anti Everton agenda on MOTD? Setanta's Tim Sherwood has a vendetta against us and we only usually get about 4 seconds on The Premiership highlights unless we play one of the Sky 4

i've not noticed an agenda no.

i don't think that's against everton though. the media just tends to be very pro top of the table (where championships are being decided, and where the 2 best supported teams in England are), and in the latter weeks of the season the very bottom of the table.

• Advertisement
Advertisement