Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Diploma in Economic Science

Options
  • 26-05-2009 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi all

I'm keen to hear from anybody that has done the Hdip in Economic Science.

I'm currently finishing up an undergraduate BSc in marketing and want to pursue the Hdip in economic science either in UCD or Maynooth. Ultimately I'd be doing it with a view to pursuing a masters in economics.

Does anyone know what the workload for the Hdip is like and what degree of mathematical capability is required. I've done Economics for 2 years as part of the marketing course so I have some knowledge of Economics, albeit basic.

I've also a good grasp of statistics and such but am worried that with the Hdip I may be out of my depth :confused: Am keen to do it but confused with the course information which reminds applicants that they are expected to come equipped with a good grasp of mathematics, stats etc.

I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone in the know..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

sodabread wrote: »
    Hi all

I'm keen to hear from anybody that has done the Hdip in Economic Science.

I'm currently finishing up an undergraduate BSc in marketing and want to pursue the Hdip in economic science either in UCD or Maynooth. Ultimately I'd be doing it with a view to pursuing a masters in economics.

Does anyone know what the workload for the Hdip is like and what degree of mathematical capability is required. I've done Economics for 2 years as part of the marketing course so I have some knowledge of Economics, albeit basic.

I've also a good grasp of statistics and such but am worried that with the Hdip I may be out of my depth :confused: Am keen to do it but confused with the course information which reminds applicants that they are expected to come equipped with a good grasp of mathematics, stats etc.

I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone in the know..

Yeh, I haven't done this course now but I'm half interested in it nonetheless. It appears in UCD anyway to be a 1 year course consisting of 60 ECTS credits, and the modules are pretty much final year modules for the BA in Economics. Yeh there are hard ones alright, but you have a degree which is more than the undegrads in the lectures. The modules are okay, you'll have to do econometrics alright, advanced micro and macro and then 4 third year modules and then the rest can be taken from second year. It's not that bad, I mean you can hardly expect to be a burgeoning economist without econometrics, macro and micro under your belt, and then rest are grand e.g. economics of public policy, health economics etc... these are okay. Also you've done marketing so you'd have some basic knowledge which will stand to you. I wouldn't worry about the maths stuff, they don't expect John Nash, just try and keep your grades in 2.1 country (i.e. 40% Cs and 60% Bs) and you'll fly it. One of my friends is in final year economics, and trust me he should have been kicked out long go, never goes to lectures or does any study, and still manages to do well. Also, there's plenty of people available for grinds if your stuck, especially in the maths department in the science building which is free if you show them some 'calculus you're doing in a first/second year module in maths', but again it's economics not finance (complete bitch of a course so it is!) it's not as bad as people make it out to be, a little bit of work and you'll fly it. Also, there's tremendous overlap with the modules, so it really isn't as bad as you think it might be, play the system and you'll sail through it. I suggest chatting to final year economics students as they're the ones you'll be in lectures with i.e. make friends with them, also start asking former final year economics students advice on what they did, tips on doing the modules, etc... that might help.

Advertisement