Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video streaming

Options
  • 26-05-2009 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    I'm looking to upload a video to my website hosting and let users view the video by streaming it.

What are the best ways to achieve this? I'm just looking for a small player which will link to the file (more than likely a flv I'm guessing) and display it.
    The freer the better ;)

What are my best options?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Search for the JW Player. It's a nice free flash video player.

On a technical note, that's not really streaming, it's just viewing the file. Streaming requires a different type of special server.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

Thanks for the reply p, I found JW Player before reading your reply! :)
    Got it configured and working. Just looking into being into embed it into a vbulletin forum.

Just the ticket though, free and simple to configure.

Until now I perceived "streaming" to be downloading and watching in a video file in a player without have to "save and download" it as you normally would.

What's the difference between "proper" streaming and JW Player?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Hard thing to describe, but the easiest way is to think of Live TV, thats' streaming, since you're only sending portions of the video as it plays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The real definition of streaming has gotten a little confused in these days of YouTube and other on demand videos. Streaming is, as p says, more equatible to live TV online - when you start streaming you're starting to look at it from the point that it is at currently, as opposed to from the beginning at your leisure. That is really a more traditional "progressive download" type video.

Advertisement