Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mods and nato?

Options
  • 26-05-2009 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

Well lads, I have two questions for ya. I was up north this weekend doing some lamping with an uncle. He has a CZ 223, not sure of the the model thought, 527 I think. Anyway, what I want to know is:
    1. Should the threads for the moderator rust? He got it threaded locally up there somewhere. I was told I would have to send mine to UK to get it threaded. The rust on the threads is a real turn off and looks very un-professional.

2. He also has a sufficient amount of 5.56 nato that he knows are not suitable hunting rounds and also are not manufactured for use in a .223 because of a higher charge. He offered me a couple of packs but i declined the offer. So.. What happens to a .223 barrel if nato rounds are fired through it? I also had a couple of shots with them and i must say, I think I found a little more recoil from them. Maybe it was just my imagination but it felt like more of a kick.
    So lads any information or lessons taught will be appreciated. thanks again fellow gunsmen:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Just re-blue the threads after getting the treads cut that will stop the rusting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I was told I would have to send mine to UK to get it threaded.

Was wondering Kay 9, why you are sending your rifle to the UK to get threaded? Are there not a few gunsmiths in Ireland that can do it for you? Which would be handiest? Not trying to get into your business just curious and if necessary i can provide a couple of names of gunsmiths that could do the work for you.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

kay 9 wrote: »
    What happens to a .223 barrel if nato rounds are fired through it?
    The problem's not the barrel - it's the chamber, specifically the throat, which isn't the same for the two different rounds. A NATO round in a .223 chamber will build up about 20,000 p.s.i. more pressure (or more) than a .223 round. At best, difficult extraction and your brass is bent out of shape; at worst, a very bad day indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Meyer

There are a few .223's that can use 5.56. My H&K SL8 and MR.223 can both take 5.56, and as far as I can tell there is no noticeable difference in recoil.

Some rifles have a chambering that can handle both; but the SL-8, even though it says .223 on the side, is actually chambered for 5.56 so it's fine (and H&K say it's fine for 5.56 as well).

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    Some rifles have a chambering that can handle both; but the SL-8, even though it says .223 on the side, is actually chambered for 5.56 so it's fine (and H&K say it's fine for 5.56 as well).

Luckily its says .223 on the side :D otherwise I think my FO would have had raised eyebrows if I went looking for a 5.56 Nato.
    That said, Is it possible to buy 5.56 rounds in Ireland? I have only every used them in my rifles overseas...

Technically, it's fine as it's listing the calibre, which is the same for both (like I said, it's the chambering that's different, not the barrel).

Dunno about buying 5.56, but given that the .223 stuff is more accurate, so why bother? :)

Sparks wrote:
    Dunno about buying 5.56, but given that the .223 stuff is more accurate, so why bother? :)

Price dammit :D The .223 stuff might be more accurate, but only over long distance. At the moment the maximum distance I'm shooting at is 100-150 meters, and given the cost of .223 (Even the basic Federal American eagle's.) its sore on my pocket:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

thanks ezridax, it was a certain gun dealer in the galway vicinity. Anyway, if they dont have to send it away, why would they bother? It was 450 euro all in, for the thread cutting and jetz moderator. Can u send me on the Irish lads that do this? Thanks again, might still send it to UK if the workmanship is better maybe. It may even be cheaper.

thanks meyer for that also. Yes maybe the recoil remains unchanged, but the nato rounds are not any use for hunting or even target shooting due to accuracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Fellow down in Kilmacow Co Waterford,is a riflesmith and would proably do the job for you.Think he is listed here on the boards gundealers??
    Only reason you would have to send it to the UK is to have the barrel reproved in a proof house.ASFIK this is mandatory in the UK under the firearms acts,and proably is as well saying you were in NI?[up North]

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Fellow down in Kilmacow Co Waterford,is a riflesmith and would proably do the job for you.Think he is listed here on the boards gundealers??
    Only reason you would have to send it to the UK is to have the barrel reproved in a proof house.ASFIK this is mandatory in the UK under the firearms acts,and proably is as well saying you were in NI?[up North]
    Yes NI Ireland Grizzly:) What is it to have the barrel reproved/re-proofed? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

thanks ezridax, it was a certain gun dealer in the galway vicinity. Anyway, if they dont have to send it away, why would they bother? It was 450 euro all in, for the thread cutting and jetz moderator. Can u send me on the Irish lads that do this? Thanks again, might still send it to UK if the workmanship is better maybe. It may even be cheaper.
    There' s a dealer in athlone who dose his own threading he's done all my rifles and the work is top notch and the price is realistic.
    Fergal white 0863260735
    he can also supply the mod

Thanks for that triskell:) It's certainly nearer home and if the workmanship is good, why not:) Thanks again. Will give him a buzz when i have a few pound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭thedragon

Yes triskell,Ill second that,Fergal White is out of this world and his work is out of this world.I sent a mate to him last week and I must say,his quality is without question probably as good and maybe even better than factory spec.He took care of a major problem Id been having with a rifle recently recently also.

Fergal sounds like the man to know. Thanks lads for the heads up, those mad f**ks in Galway expectin me to let them ship it to the UK. I was gullible. cheers again lads:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Yes NI Ireland Grizzly:) What is it to have the barrel reproved/re-proofed? Thanks.

In short it means when modifications are carried out on any parts of a gun that take any sort of pressure when you fire it has to be retested by a proofing house ( for example the one in Bermingham ) and stamped accordingly under UK law. I don't know about the exact cost involved but to the best of my knowledge it's not too bad.

Advertisement