Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows XP

• 26-05-2009 11:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    My windows XP DVD player can't read a DVD that I watch on any DVD player?
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Check the DVD case - is it "copy protected"?

You're probably missing MPEG-2 codecs. Try ffdshow but you need to enable DVD decoding manually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If its just one disk, try the above. If its all DVDs, then I had a similar problem on Vista. It was caused by "filters" installed in the drivers by third party software (dunno which app did it). I cant remember where I found the fix, but deleting one registry value sorted everything :)

A blanket attempt if its all disks would be re-installing the drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

What's the windows DVD player? It it's all movie DVDs, then as Karsini said, missing codecs.

Can it play using VLC http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Windows XP doesn't come with any dvd decoder by default because Microsoft didn't pay to licence one for it. VLC should work for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Stephen wrote: »
    Windows XP doesn't come with any dvd decoder by default because Microsoft didn't pay to licence one for it. VLC should work for free.

I can't view the disc in windows explored but it will be play on a normal DVD player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Its not uncommon must have fixed at least a dozen XP PC's/laptops with a similar problem http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060 should help you fix it.

ttm wrote: »
    Its not uncommon must have fixed at least a dozen XP PC's/laptops with a similar problem http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060 should help you fix it.

Tried that it didn't work. Also I upgraded the firmware. Also didn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Tried that it didn't work. Also I upgraded the firmware. Also didn't work.
    What exactly happens when you try play the disc? Can you see it load up in My Computer? Does a program open (like Windows Media Player) and try to run the disc?

cpu-dude wrote: »
    What exactly happens when you try play the disc? Can you see it load up in My Computer? Does a program open (like Windows Media Player) and try to run the disc?

The PC tries to read the disc, using whatever I am using e.g. Win Explorer, you can here the disc spin. Then explorer hangs for about a minute and you eventually get an error message saying the disc can't be read.

I googled this message, just got loads and loads of different ideas. I am going to cut my losses and just try it at my Mum's this weekend and then put the DVD onto something else.

Thanks for everyone's help.

• Advertisement

The PC tries to read the disc, using whatever I am using e.g. Win Explorer, you can here the disc spin. Then explorer hangs for about a minute and you eventually get an error message saying the disc can't be read.

I googled this message, just got loads and loads of different ideas. I am going to cut my losses and just try it at my Mum's this weekend and then put the DVD onto something else.

Thanks for everyone's help.
    Have you played DVD's in this drive before?

Sorry that didn't work, it didn't sound as if you could see the drive letter at all, otherwise wouldn't have mentioned that fix.

The symtoms you have do rather sound like they will only be fixed with a repalcement drive.

It sounds like the drive is doing all the right things up untill the point it tries to read data.

If you want a simple test to prove if the drive is bust then pop in a Windows XP (or Vista or whatever bootable CD?DVD you have) and do whatevers necessary (BIOS, pressing F12 etc) to get the drive to boot off the CD or DVD. Obviously if it boots don't do a reinstall but if you do get that far it tends to prove the drive is OK but if you can't boot off abootable CD or DVD it would indicate to me it needed replacing.

Have you played DVD's in this drive before?

yes other DVDs play in it.

yes other DVDs play in it.
    It's possible it's not readable on the computer, is it a dual layer disc?

It's possible it's not readable on the computer, is it a dual layer disc?
    Don't know, How would I figure that out?

Don't know, How would I figure that out?
    Should say on the case itself.

So your DVD works fine but just won't play one specific DVD?

Many Video DVD disks are "dual layer" I have old DVD drives dated 2001 that play them quite happily, the only time afaik that the Dual layer becomes important is if you are writing disks.

OK before I leave the queue for "teeth extration" would you like to tell us if this is a bought pre recorded video DVD or one that someone has recorded for you?

ttm wrote: »
    OK before I leave the queue for "teeth extration" would you like to tell us if this is a bought pre recorded video DVD or one that someone has recorded for you?
    Sincere apologies. My Father in law recorded our Wedding onto one. I am just trying to figure out why it works on our DVD player but not on our PC.

Apologies again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Could even be something as simple as the brand of media that the movie was written to. DVD players can be fickle beasts with regards what they play. Especially computer DVD players.

Advertisement