Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Venture managment

• 26-05-2009 11:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭

Hi anybody doing this course? i remember seeing a similar thread ages ago but i dont think its still here :O

few questions

1.Is it hard?

2.Is there a maths module?

3.Are there books to be bought or just endless amounts of notes?

4.Whats work exp like?did you have to relocate?

cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

There was a thread. Use the "search this forum" function and you should find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

mrDerek wrote: »
    1.Is it hard?

cheers :)

1. VM itself is not hard, it just requires an interest in it as most of the modules are enjoyable to complete. Most modules are graded by continuous assessment. With Finance it depends on the module, by final year though you get to chose which modules you want to do. Most people find the science part hard and dislike it. I find it nearly impossible and despise it. I'm doing Computer Science, the modules which you are forced to do seem irrelevant and random. I know things are different than they were four years ago so not sure of all the options but if I was to choose again and had the option at the time I would do Business and Management. I actually don't know how much longer the course is going to be continued, its changing name as well after I graduate.

2. Yes a few for finance and CS, there's less as you move on. If you meet the min requirement for applying you'll be fine and you have the free maths support centre to help you so don't let that put you off if anything.

3. I've bought a handful of books. Most books can be got from the library.

4. Work exp varies from individual and the placement itself. Personally, I am delighted I did it, not only does it look great on the CV, it also teaches you a lot about the work place and the real world. I got a job in Dublin (as did most others) and lived in Maynooth and Dublin during that period. This year almost the entire year got jobs in China that were available through the college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭pakblue

They have now changed VM, you dont have to do Computer Science anyone its only an option as well as the placement. So if you pick Computer Science and the placement the course is 4 years long otherwise its 3 years long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

thanks guys helpful information.

china for work experience sounds good.not a fan of them though.not after there olympics but thats a dif matter.is it possible to get work experience say in america or australia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

mrDerek wrote: »
    china for work experience sounds good.

Great for life experience but I hear the work isn't very good to be honest. They are working in a hotel doing totally unrelated jobs like being doormen and stuff, one lad has decided to come home.

I got my job independently as did many others, I don't think the college had any other overseas options other than China so it'd be up to yourself to look for one somewhere else. It can be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

1.Is it hard?
    It's all relative...
    In comparison to other science degrees it's easy but when comparing it to an Arts degree or a business degree it's quite time intensive and you will have a couple of difficult modules every semester.
    I'm doing it with Electronic Engineering and sometimes it's quite the pain. For instance i'm the only one doing VM with electronic engineering this year(think there's one guy ahead of me). And the lecture timetable for me can be ridiculous some times!!!
    An hour on and hour off an hour on, an hour off. Then the next day i could have 5 hours straight without a break! The amount of time i spent wasting on a computer this year waiting for lectures has been immense! :O

Is it hard?
    The business side of it is a joke, The sciencey side of it is hard(especially for you cause everyone else in the class will be doin the subjects you're doin full-time(i had to do some learning by myself this year cause the engineers were using stuff they had learned in another module in one of my modules:())

If you like the science subject you're studying then you'll prob pass it.

Sounds to me like you don't wanna do maths???
    Why would you consider a course with the word "Finance" in it???
    In VM & EE you have specific math for engineers modules and i'd say it's a wee bit easier than leaving cert honours.
    Also keep in mind that economics is quite a large part of the VM course though out the the 4 years, and Economics does incorporate some maths, even differentiation sometimes! This is pretty easy however...

I for one am never buying an academic book ever again! What a waste! You don't need books for college, you only need moodle, that'll do for the pass

Haven't got there yet

Just on a note
    If you like Economics, business studies and one of the three science subjects available then this is a great way for you to get a very diverse, interesting, SCIENCE DEGREE. It's a very easy to get science degree.

Advertisement