Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Film processing question - chemical neg destruction

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

i have seen a few shots using this technique, like the effect... so its skipping the stop bath... is that it?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonwise/3048015637/

?? I never use a stop bath, and fix is a process to completion, so it doesn't -really- matter how long you leave it in for, I'm guessing there could be adverse effects if you left it in for a few hours but I don't think anything shorter than that would damage the neg...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

?? I never use a stop bath, and fix is a process to completion, so it doesn't -really- matter how long you leave it in for, I'm guessing there could be adverse effects if you left it in for a few hours but I don't think anything shorter than that would damage the neg...

does that not dirty your fixer badly? I'm sure there would be some variation caused leaving developer on film with the fixer no?

(next college experiment marked into notepad)

does that not dirty your fixer badly? I'm sure there would be some variation caused leaving developer on film with the fixer no?
    (next college experiment marked into notepad)

I do a wash between the baths, just no stop. Even that wash isn't really neccessary anyway, I use my fixer one-shot for the most part so not really concerned about contamination.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

ah well thats what i kinda meant by stop, i chuck it into a water bath for 5-10 mins between fix and dev, dont add chemicals or nothing to strip the paper coating

ah well thats what i kinda meant by stop, i chuck it into a water bath for 5-10 mins between fix and dev, dont add chemicals or nothing to strip the paper coating

to strip the what ??!? If you're talking 120 here, You know you're only meant to put the FILM on the reel, right ?!:D

Honestly I don't really know what he's talking about here with his "chemical negative destruction". Skipping the stop bath won't do a thing, and as I said above, you'd have to fix for a long long time to see any appreciable effect from it. I don't think that that shot would have looked in any way different if it had been developed normally.

• Advertisement

<sratches head>
    <slaps forehead>

thinking bw printing

<slaps head>

hummm, so these apparent technique is just extended fixing with no washing between dev and fix?

<sratches head>
    <slaps forehead>

thinking bw printing

<slaps head>

hummm, so these apparent technique is just extended fixing with no washing between dev and fix?

that's all he's mentioned all right. There is a shot there that looks as though he's melted the negative or something. That certainly ain't gonna happen just by fixing it too much ...

that's all he's mentioned all right. There is a shot there that looks as though he's melted the negative or something. That certainly ain't gonna happen just by fixing it too much ...

yea i popped off a mail to him enquiring. the one i liked looks particulary nice

http://photo.net/black-and-white-photo-film-processing-forum/00Qqie
    I do recall that during the same time I soaked a test strip of developed negatives in Ilford Hypam at the 1:4 dilution for over a week, then washed and dried normally. A year later there was no observable difference between that test strip and the baseline strip from the same roll of film that was fixed for the normal few minutes.

a week :D

Advertisement