Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed regarding ISP address...

Options
  • 27-05-2009 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭

I need to find out my ISP address to register on a well known forum, I know this forum is decent and would happily submit my ISP address, problem is, I havent a clue how to get it.

I'm using the Vodafone USB Modem (Which is terrible value may I add) and havent been told anything about an ISP address when I joined.

If I ring requesting one I have been told they don't give them out so I don't want a load of carry on on the phone.

So is there anyway of finding out what my ISP address is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Do you mean your IP address? Try http://www.whatismyip.com/

Do you mean the physical address? Do you mean something else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Chonaic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Heh.

You're more than likely looking for your .

Easiest way to find is to go
    here which will tell you what it is. It will be in the form of 123.123.123.123, with maybe a few of the numbers missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Rather than IP address OP is probably referring to the IP Allocation range of the ISP with an Internet Registry.

If so, using what's my ip to get the IP address then use the whois tool on ripe.net to get the range. Assuming OP's ISP is in EMEA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Thanks for the replies so far lads, to elaborate further, the problem I'm having is that the forum does not accept hotmail or yahoo accounts and only accept an ISP e-mail account.

I have to submit my ISP address and then log onto that to follow a link to activate my registration, for example I tried an AOL account which didnt work as they are not my ISP, Vodafone are my ISP so would my address not read [EMAIL="..........@vodafone.com"]..........@vodafone.com[/EMAIL]?

EDIT- The ISP address has to be "static" if that helps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Thanks for the replies so far lads, to elaborate further, the problem I'm having is that the forum does not accept hotmail or yahoo accounts and only accept an ISP e-mail account.

I have to submit my ISP address and then log onto that to follow a link to activate my registration, for example I tried an AOL account which didnt work as they are not my ISP, Vodafone are my ISP so would my address not read [EMAIL="..........@vodafone.com"]..........@vodafone.com[/EMAIL]?

Sounds weird to be honest. A bit of overkill on behalf of the forum owners.

Anyway, if you need a static IP address, then ask your ISP for one.

RE: vodafone email - I believe they give it out for free. Apply for one - then you may be able to register with a dynamically assigned IP address.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it sounds very much like you are talking about two different things.

your IP address is the numeric address given to your modem when you connect it to the internet. think of it as the phone number of your pc so you can be 'seen' on the internet. it's different for everyone and as moriarty said it's in the form of numbers with full stops between them. most ISP's will give you a dynamic IP address though, not a static one, which means it will change from time to time.

your EMAIL address is your you@youremail.com address with the @ symbol in it. this is the address usually required by forums to register with them, but some forums will not accept an email address like you@hotmail.com as it is pretty much an anonymous way of registering as anyone can pick up a hotmail based email address that is not tied to an ISP and use it for all sorts of nefarious deeds.

they will be looking for an ISP based email address like you@vodafone.ie or you@eircom.net or something like that which would have been given to you when you signed up, or can be set up with your internet service providor (ISP), which for you is vodafone.

it's just a security check, to make sure they can track you down in the event that you do anything illegal.

it's unusual for them to ask for a static IP address as most internet residential internet users do not have one, but a dynamic address which will change periodically when you log on/off after a set amount of time.

it's not impossible that they are asking for that though, just very unusual, but it will be much easier for you to just get a vodafone email address and register with that instead.

you don't even have to use it for anything else, you can have as many email addresses as you like. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd agree it sounds like they want an ISP e-mail address, many sites don't take free e-mail accounts such as hotmail or gmail and instead require none free accounts such as yourisp.com

Its pretty common, so if vodafone gave you a e-mail address of you@vodafone.ie or perlico.ie then use this :)

Its not your IP address like some people appear to believe :)

Advertisement